Where o' where are you, PERFECT ICEBREAKER ACTIVITY...???

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 6, 2010

Where oh where are you, PERFECT ICEBREAKER ACTIVITY...???

I've been googling and my eyes are starting to cross. Last year I did a silly paper chain thing where the kids drew and wrote on their chain their best character trait. Then they shared with the rest of the class and we looped them all together and hung them up and I talked about how AWESOME we can all be as a GROUP with all our cool individual characterstics throughout the school year. :rolleyes:

Seriously gang. I need something cool. Something that will be fun and take an hour or so. Something I can immediately (or later that day) hang on the BB for open house that night.

My kids are tricky. They're 11-13 but cognitively they're pre-school to 2nd grade. So it's got to be something they can understand and do - - - but still be age-appropriate.

:help:

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

I love your paper chain idea :). That is really neat. How about a box or bag of their gifts. You could either get some dollar store gift bags or cardboard and wrap it up to make something that looks like a gift. Add bows and ribbons and what not. Then have everyone write down things that they see as gifts of the other students (teachers and learning assistants included) and somehow attach them to the gift (coming out of the bag, on the outside, on the ribbons coming out...etc.). You could even talk to parents and other people like the principal and secretary before and have them write something.

Its a bit corny but it might be fun :).

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2010

I did a glyph last year. The kids loved it, it wasn't too innapropirate for their age (math), and it gave me insight into how easy/ difficult it was for them to follow directions.

You can find directions here:
    http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/backtoschool/prep.html

Some kids will obviously need more assistance than others.

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 11, 2010

Finally found one, gang! :D

Friendship Salad

This is a great lesson to teach during the first week of school when the kids are learning about
    room rules and manners!

Items Needed:
    Very Large Bowl
    Large Mixing Spoon
    paper plates or bowls
    plastic spoons
    Several cans of fruit (a variety is good)
    Marshmallows
    Yogurt
    1 very old and rotten banana

I explain to the kids that the big bowl is like our classroom and that there are many important things that our room needs..especially good friends and happy days at school.

Add one can of fruit...."These are the kind kids in our room."(You can elaborate....they help each other at school, and wait their turn in line...)

Add another can of fruit..."These are the hard workers in our room" (..they get their work done and always try their best, even when work gets hard!)

Add another can of fruit..."These are the kids who share" (...they know how to share their supplies, and they share the toys at center time....)

Add some marshmallows..."These are the kind words being said in our room." (...words like please and thank you, and I'm sorry, when someone gets hurt...)

Add the yogurt...."This is the happiness we feel when we are at school." (...when we laugh, when we learn, when we have treats, and when we get to play at recess....)

Talk about the yummy friendship salad, how good it will tasted and then pretend to begin to peel the rotten banana. The kids have always yelled "Stop!!!" before I even get the banana peeled. I tell them that this is the Rotten Banana that could cause trouble in our happy classroom. This might be a banana that calls names, does not share, refuses to do school work, etc... We all vote NOT to put the rotten banana in our Friendship Salad.

This is your opportunity to talk with the children about why the children do not want this banana in their friendship salad AND how to make the connection with them about the importance of following rules and having good manners. It is fun to hear the children say throughout the year, "We don't want any rotten bananas in here!" or "Don't act like that or you'll be like a Rotten Banana!"

Then while they're eating their snack, I can go over the classroom rules!

6. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Aug 11, 2010

Great activity Zoom, let us know how it goes!

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 11, 2010

I will! :) The only thing I'm nervous about, is that my students might not mind if I put a rotten banana in their salad!

8. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Aug 11, 2010

LOL LOL You should get a banana a while before school starts, so that it is really black, mushy, yucky and obvious that it is rotten!

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

Zoom, I love the friendship salad idea! I wouldn't use it in my class, but maybe we should use it for a staff development with the teachers and what kind of teacher we want in our building! LOL

10. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 11, 2010

LOL bandnerd... it would be interesting to do at the staff meeting for sure. Tee hee!