Where is your desk?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2007

Ok.......I'm reading a lot of posts about how to arrange the student desks but what about our teacher desk/area? I know many of us are curious and looking for new ideas. Please Share! Where do you put your desk?

3. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I am so rarely at my desk when the students are in the room that I don't worry about its relation to the students. I choose the placement of my desk by selecting a place that it isn't easily seen from the hallway, so that I can get work done during my planning instead of having a parade of visitors coming by to chat. Sounds antisocial, but it works for me.

4. mbfenner

mbfenner Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I'm actually never at my desk so I keep it off to the side. My kids' desks are in rows facing forward with my desk to the left facing the kids' left.
    http://www.educationbuffet.com

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

My desk is at the front of the room because there is so much stuff hooked up to my laptop. Most of the cords for my electronics won't reach the back of the room. I prefer to have my desk in the back and out of the way. I hardly ever sit at it when the kids are in the room.

6. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I dont have a desk :) there was no room and I am always walking around the room so I took it out....I have some plastic drawers and my kidney table that acts as my space..

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2007

I only sit at my desk before and after school, so I have it where it takes up the least amount of space. It faces a wall, and I have hung a small cork board above it so that I can pin up things I need to keep track of or remember to do. Here's a link to a photo:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/drench/226533235/

8. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

Mine is in the back of the room (away from the door), facing the back of the kids. I only use it before and after school and sometimes when they are taking tests.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 18, 2007

Like Born2Teach, I also don't have room for a desk. I just use a little table pushed back in the corner. I don't sit at it during the day, but if I did my back would be to the kids.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 18, 2007

I actually use my desk quite a bit, depending on what else is going on. For instance, when they read, I read at my desk. I also conduct student conferences at my desk. It's also where my document camera stays. I'm also there before school, on some planning times, and after school . . . so I like a nice area.

When you walk into my room, my desk is in the corner to your right. It looks like it's in the front of the room, but I teach primarily from the other end of the room where my SmartBoard is. All of my student desks face the middle of the room.

Oh . . .my desk area . . . I have my desk, which is HUGE, something like 5 feet by 3 feet. My desk has my computer, a calendar, lamp, two photos, a document camera, and a fountain. It's also got a clear plastic cover so I can slide things under it. On the right side of my desk, next to the wall, I have a 3 shelf metal bookshelf that houses letter trays, baskets, small organizers, stapler, tape, note cube, tissues, sanitizer, and lotion. Next to that is a two-drawer legal-sized file cabinet. My teacher's books are in the bottom, and there are hanging files in the top. I have a small fridge and microwave on top of the file cabinet. Hanging on the wall behind my desk is a small cork board and large pocket chart that holds up to 35 full sized sheets of paper in its 27 pockets. I use it all the time.

I haven't taken pictures of my room yet, and this is a slightly new arrangement.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 18, 2007

Mine (Aide) is on the back wall facing the window in a corner. This is for space saving reasons. I NEVER sit there. I just use it to hold my jobs.

For the teacher I actually arranged the room to where she was diagnoally facing the room in the other corner on the same wall. I picked this because there was a bulletin board there. I figured she could use it to post notes for herself on part of it. I put a small cubbie holder under the BB so she could store her books. Her fridge was on the actual wall beside her desk. Then blocking view of the desk is the student's cubbies. I did THAT because she is messy. She faces the class, has a bookshelf area, has a bulletin area and yet she is hidden from the actual surface of her messy desk.

Why did I do the arranging? She is volleyball assistant coach the first few weeks of school and that first prep week she is at camp. I had 7 BB and two classrooms to get ready. It was scary in some ways because it wasn't my stuff and I was very short on time. It was also fun though because I had blank instructions to do whatever was needed. I know her better this year so that will help.

12. WindyCityGal606

Jul 18, 2007

We are actually expected to sit at our desks to teach. I like that!!

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

I don't use mine to sit at when the kids are there but it is the hub for all the items I need while they are there---breakfast slips, attendance paperwork, passes, pens, etc. So next year I am placing my desk off to the side in the front of the room. I am going to make a little area to corral my teaching stuff by placing my desk, computer desk, and file cabinets in a little square.

14. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 18, 2007

I have mine in the back of the room. It's by my windows so I can work by natural light - those big overhead lights give me headaches. It also allows the student I am conferencing with some privacy. :)

15. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Zoe, why are you expected to teach from your desk? I use mine a lot. The school that I teach at we use Saxon phonics and companion reading, so testing is done individually at my desk. I also had to have surgery in the middle of last school year and I needed to sit down frequently. I was just curious what the benefit is.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

QUOTE: "We are actually expected to sit at our desks to teach. I like that!!"

Wow, that sounds unusual (and comfy). In my old school district where I was an assistant, the administration would do sweeps, where they stepped into the room and spent about one minute entering information into a palm-computer based on his/her observations. One of the things they checked for was if you were seated. And if you were: a formal write-up. To me, this was ridiculous. There are several circumstances where you might need to be at your computer/desk. No matter the circumstance, however, your were cited!

My desk is at the back of room, near the door and phone. When students are arranged in rows my desk faces their backs. I'm not at the desk very often during class, but it works for me. It was also practical because of the electrical hook-ups.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 18, 2007

That's the only wall we can put ours on. It is a whole wall that is half window and half wall. The other three walls are used up. Two have huge chalkboards. One has cabinets/sink/counter. Our alarms are actually in our classrooms. It is a bright strobe light flashing so it is easy to see no matter where you are facing. As an added safety, all teachers and aides check to make sure all classes are up and running as they walk down the hall toward their assigned emergency exit. Now the hard part is residential dorms. If the students don't budge from the middle of the night drills, staff has to. They have to check every room. Yes, they do drills at all hours.

18. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

We always hear "a teacher on his/her feet is worth two in a seat." I couldn't imagine being allowed to teach from my desk. I like being up and moving around though.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Last year I put my desk out in the shed.
    :D

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

I have an L-shaped desk in the front corner of the room opposite the door. I keep it there because that's where my phone is and because it's easier to hook my computer up to my LCD projector from there. I'd prefer it to be in a back corner, though.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2007

My desk is at the back of the room, with my computer & phone. I also have a table there that I use for small groups.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

My room is very narrow and long and this coming year my desk will be beside my whiteboard near the door. It isn't ideal, but it's where my phone is and I need to make a lot of calls to parents. There is a large bulletin board above, and I will use part of it for some of my things. Last year, my desk was near the back of the room by the window, but I found it cut the room up too much.

23. WindyCityGal606

Jul 18, 2007

Thes chool I worked for in the past also had administration that would write you up if you were sitting at your desk...regardless of what was going on in the room. Our administration likes when we are at our desks leading the class in lessons or working individually with students at our desks, Most teachers at my school have the group meeting table against their desk so students can sit with the teacher at their desk. All teachers have huge, comfy office chairs too! I guess what I'm saying is it's nice to be somewhere where I can sit at my desk and not feel guilty or paranoid. My principal trusts us a educators and if we feel the need to sit at our desk, it is our call. I agree. Do I walk around? Of course. Who doesn't but I don't have to keep walking around when I'm done and there's no reason to. Yes, we are expected to teach from our desks and we are not in fear of getting caught. I like that.

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2007

If you do get pictures taken, I would love to see them!

25. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 18, 2007

I couldn't imagen getting written up for working with a student or group at our desk. I teach 1st grade and I rarely sit down at my desk other than to test independently or a small group. During calendar or morning meeting teacher often have a comfortable chair and I'm sure their teaching. Thanks for the reply Zoe

26. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

I use a bookshelf at the front of the room to store teacher manuals and materials. I know it sounds kind of strange, but it works for me. When I refer to it as a desk, my students usually look at me like I'm crazy. But to me...well, it is my desk! I have it at the front of the room. I feel a traditional teacher desk makes this huge barrier between the students and I. I use a padded barstool for my chair. I like being up higher and that is why I chose a barstool. It helps me control behavior.
    On the other hand, if I had a larger classroom (and fewer than 33 students) I would definitely consider a different arrangement.

27. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

That's me too! But this year I don't have an assistant--mixed blessing. So I'm going to claim his desk--which is really a computer table--for my computer desk behind my kidney table in hopes that'll give me a little more workspace. That is if I can get the Tech. people to give me a long enough line to run from the router!:confused:

Several people mentioned not be allowed or being expected to teach from their desks. Our administration hasn't said one way or the other but I always feel guilty if I'm teaching from my table. A lot of time I set a bad example and sit on my kidney table. I'm short and if I sit on the table I can see what's going on but not *have* to walk around. That's one thing I want to do better with this year. Not sitting OR walking around for really long periods of time. I need to alternate or else my back gets all sorts of messed up! Does anyone else have this problem?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  28. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

My desk is at the front of the room where I can see everything including the door and side window. Most of the time, I'm up and moving, or if we are reading, I'm in my tall chair at the front of the room. But since I teach writing also, I use my desk for conferences with the kids and a place to answer questions when I'm not running around the room. We do have some teachers who spend the entire day in their seats though. I can't imaging what gets done that way. On the other hand, being written up for being at the desk seems ridiculous. We're grown adults who should be trusted to do what we're supposed to do. Anyone who isn't shouldn't be in the classroom to begin with.

29. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 18, 2007

Mine is in the back of the room, far from the kids. If I sit at it, my back would be away from them. I use my computer at my desk when the kids aren't around. I put it in that spot because there is a small BB above it, and it is by the back door, so I can see when they are coming in from specials when I am on my prep. I very rarely sit at it during the day... in fact, almost never!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  30. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

I sit on my kidney table a lot. I also have a barstool and a rocking chair. Depending on what I'm doing, I sit on those, too.

31. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

While the kids are working independently I usually sit at the kidney table and work with ELL students. The admin does not mind this, however, they don't want to see us at our desks grading papers all day, while the kids do busy work.

32. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2007

yay! i'm so excited that i can finally answer questions like these!! my desk, since i placed it there yesterday! my desk is in the front right hand corner of the room. it's turned sideways so that i can see all of the room including the board. my tv and audio equipment are behind me as well as my computer and printer on a small desk under the tv. i felt it was better to have just one corner to myself and after that everything else in the room would be centers and such for the kids.

33. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

What a lovely, well-organized area! I love the idea of a desk lamp!

I am seldom at my desk either, but love having my own space. I keep it in a corner of my classroom where there is no reason for students or anyone else to be. I have my own pictures on the wall, and it's almost my own private little space.

34. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

I always put my desk in such a way that I can get out from behind it in either direction. I once had a parent who was either drunk or flying high trap me behind my desk & wouldn't let me out. He was threatening me.

35. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

This year it will off to the side of the kids' desks. Last year it was in the back in a corner. I'm not at it much.

36. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jul 19, 2007

My desk is at the back of the room because that is where the computer cord is. (And the big cupboard for my planning and refernce books).

We do the roll on the computer (so the info goes straight to the office) so that is usually the only time I am sitting at my desk during the day.

Apart from that I use it before and after school.

37. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Admin Walk-throughs

The principal walk-throughs (sweeps) seem like a good idea don't they? But to be under the threat of a write-up seems counter-productive. Seems the paranoia induced would interfere with common sense. Probably with NCLB, principals were taught to do things and some didn't quite get how to implement it. I guess those principals who really don't belong in middle management will be weeded out. Wonder what they will do with all the knowledge they have gained? Nothing?

38. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I'm conflicted as where to put my desk. I want it to be in the back of the class but I teach in a pod so I only have 2 1/2 full walls. Each of those walls are taken up (hooks on one, chalkboard on the other). There is no wall to the back of the class (where I would put my desk in a traditional classroom) so my desk would be on the main trafficway for the other classes in my pod.

39. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 19, 2007

My ideal desk would be a mailroom tabler with literature sorters above and below. I need a surface to sit things out on but otherwise I want to chunk it away. OR.... I would like a table surface with plastic clear drawers of different sizes (literature sorter size and store a few things size). I might want a deep drawer or two at the bottom that is hideable, lockable, fileable and storeable. Basically I want surface and tons of EASY storage. No need to sit.

40. curlyone

curlyone Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Well, I use my desk A LOT throughout the day. Not always sitting, but it is my "teacher central". I have arranged my room so many different ways and FINALLY found one that works! My room is half classroom space and half lab space. My desk is somewhere in between. Works great for me!

I DO have pics, but the forum won't let me post since I am new :(

41. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2007

Ima Teacher, where did you get the clear plastic cover? I can't find one that fits!
    My desk last year was in the front of the room off to the side...I only sat there before and after school, but it held all my papers. I also had a table at the front of the classroom...that is where all my manuals were and where I would sit for conferences or while students were taking a test. At our school you have to be on your feet...I actually got spoken to for leaning on a desk! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.