Where is everything at???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 7, 2017

About this same time (beginning of June) during the last 7 years, I usually have already applied to 50 jobs by now. This year, I've only applied to 3 jobs (and I'm talking Special Ed. jobs too). What is going on in western PA? Is this just the reality that jobs are even harder to come by???
    One of the special ed jobs I applied for is a dream-I have a lot of experience. I applied in Feb and theytook the posting down last month. I'm hoping no one interviewed for it and got the job and I still have a chance. I've checked board meetings and didn't see any names for the job!

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 7, 2017

I'm in California, but I think I have read about some state budget issues in PA, specifically effecting the public university system. Has it also hit the K-12s? I hope things pick up for you soon.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 7, 2017

There have been tons of jobs in NJ. Do the schools still advertise in the places you usually check?

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 7, 2017

I'm not in the same state, but openings are down near me. People are staying put with upcoming budget crisis making changing districts a bit more of a risk.

6. hellokimmie84

hellokimmie84 Rookie

Jun 11, 2017

You're not alone. I'm in California. I'm SPED as well, and I've been told by several districts (smaller ones at least) that they do not have any openings in SPED. A larger district near me that I applied to back in March finally called yesterday and I have an interview on Thursday. Don't give up yet. Watch for repostings of that dream position just in case they didn't enough candidates the first time around. I'm hoping they didn't pull the program or relocate kiddos into another program. Keep us updated!

7. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 11, 2017

Isn't a lot of SpEd funding federal? I wonder if districts are waiting to see what happens with the budget?

8. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 11, 2017

Good point. Also, the new fiscal year for school districts around here is July 1st. Maybe they are still figuring out budgets!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 11, 2017

Thanks for the post. I'm not giving up yet and I'm hoping I get good interviews and a job this summer! Good luck on your job interview on Thursday. I hope things turn out in your favor. Keep us posted on how it goes and what questions they asked you!!