Where have all the posters gone?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Oct 16, 2016.

1. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Oct 30, 2016

I think I will post this here as it is most appropriate in this thread. In another current thread, there is a new poster (student) who posted a question about grading philosophies. There was a response that did not attempt to answer the poster's question but rather commented on poor grammar and spelling. How welcoming is that to a new poster? Some of you might say that it doesn't matter because the poster is a student or that the response was intended to be helpful. I say that those responses miss the bigger picture (i.e. addressing the poster's question or concern) and are common to this site...frequently posters are berated or dismissed, especially over things as trivial as spelling on the internet. How many lurkers and infrequent posters are out there that see this and refrain from joining the conversations?

2. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2016

Facebook, twitter, retired, burned out with the whole

3. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Oct 30, 2016

I haven't been posting as much because I've felt there are some very superior attitudes on the forums. I've seen many instances where someone asks for help, and the response is, "In my classroom, students know that's not acceptable."
    I've also seen a very us versus them attitude between teachers who are full time and teachers who sub. As someone who subbed for a long time before getting a full time position, I don't get the animosity, and it has really turned me off.
    So while it's good to have someplace to commiserate, often times people are put down for asking for help and it shouldn't be like that. Not everyone on the forums is like that, but it's enough that it's quite noticeable.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  4. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Oct 30, 2016

There's also a lot of users here, myself included, who are either in the practicum or student teaching phase and therefore (I would say, rightfully), don't feel qualified to weigh in on some of the topics being discussed. Or at least that's my rationale.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 30, 2016

I don't know if I qualify as a long time user, certainly not compared to some... But I've dealt depression since elementary school. I find myself posting more when I'm between bouts, so if I go quiet, that's usually a bad sign for my own mental health.

Not over the past two months though. I've just been more eager to talk politics than teaching. I'll probably be posting more after the 8th.

6. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Oct 30, 2016

another reason some might not post more is the tiresome quibbling over semantics rather than a focus on the bigger issues or questions being addressed in a thread. You see it quite frequently.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2016

Sentences begin with a capital letter.

(I kid, I kid, I promise! :) I agree with you - and it's what happens often times when I'm trying to share my thoughts within politics with some friends, too: the focus becomes misconstrued from the actual content.)

Upsadaisy likes this.
  8. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 30, 2016

Sometimes it isn't semantics. Sometimes it is that the person doesn't present a well reasoned argument or comments that contradict one another making their position not clear and then are questioned because of it.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 30, 2016

I started out on here when I was student teaching. Over the years, I've transitioned from just asking questions and lurking to weighing in more and more as I felt more qualified. Hopefully you'll stick around. :) And don't feel that your experiences are invalid just because you're new to teaching! You have something to offer.

smalltowngal and MetalTeacher like this.
  10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 30, 2016

I agree that this board has become pretty hostile. I've been here for almost 6 years (and more than that as a lurker), and I felt much more freedom to post in years past. Now, I constantly second guess what I'm saying because I don't want to start an online confrontation. I don't need that drama on the internet - I come here to decompress. I can't even count the number of posts I've written and threads I've started but then never posted because I have a feeling that certain users will jump on what I'm saying and start a fight. I'm not a confrontational person in general, so I'll just stay silent to avoid the confrontation.

I left for a few months awhile ago for that reason. I came back, but I haven't come back to the extent that I was checking and posting before. I just don't have time for internet rudeness. I have to deal with rude people in real life, but online, why bother? It's not worth the hassle.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2016

Yellow... I couldn't have said it better. Thank you.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2016

Lol!!!!

13. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Oct 30, 2016

Thank you! I do plan on sticking around. And I wouldn't say it's that I don't feel my experiences aren't valid, but more so that I don't have the experience yet to weigh in on certain topics. (But I DO enjoy seeing what people with the experience have to say.) I already feel like I've gained something from interacting with other teachers here.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 12, 2016

Let me be the first to say if I have ever come across as superior, rude, demeaning, or confrontational I AM SO SORRY! I have taken an indefinite break from FB for this very reason. I know I can be blunt to a fault at time, but I joined this forum asking for help (and got tons of it) and aim to return the favor.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 12, 2016

I actually remember, since I started at this forum before I started teaching, that those responses were frustrating. They didn't make sense, weren't very clear, and DID sound superior. However after teaching a while, when someone says "they know that's not acceptable in my classroom" it makes sense to me: it means that the teacher spent time explicitly teaching the expectations, upholding a clearly defined classroom management plan consistently without letting anyone slide on that kind of behavior, plus a lot of other little things that go into it that a teacher who has taught for a few years would understand are packaged into that phrase.

Because it's hard to put that all into words it often comes out as "they know that's not acceptable" and I completely understand why that sounds like a superior attitude. But it might just be that the teacher is assuming the other teachers know what they are talking about (which isn't always the case).

As to the other posts: I also start some threads and often delete them after rethinking "How will people take this if I post this?" or "How likely is this just going to be seen as stirring the pot?" There is a lot of judgmental thinking flying around. But with the number of trolls around the forum lately, it's almost necessary to wonder: "is this person really being serious or are they just trolling for a reaction?"

I used to post a lot of topics about hot button issues in the past, and to be fair, we played those threads out pretty much as far as they can go, and there wasn't much left to add. But it was kind of fun to delve into deeper topics like that as long as people stayed respectful. I do feel that I'm more wary of posting topics like that now (both because we've already addressed them, and because I don't want to start drama).

As for the semantics, being on an internet forum causes us to lose a lot of context that would be present in face-to-face interactions. If two different people have two different meanings for the same word, it can get confusing, especially if the different meanings are used interchangeably. It makes sense that vocabulary should be clarified either before or after a statement or argument. Though I'm sure what should be a simple clarification of a term has gotten into whole other arguments of their own (which isn't necessarily bad, but probably gets the main point of the thread off track).

DizneeTeachR likes this.
  16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2016

Peregrin... sometimes I just pm the person... it seems easier than some of the responses I know my opinions may receive. I have sent many with just that...I would post on thread, but this is just easier and makes me feel a little less deflated. Lol. Usually the person gets back to me and thanks me for sending a pm.

Like you said your advice can be taken the wrong way... it is hard. But don't think your opinion would not be appreciated by the poster... just pm them.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2016

Pallas, I'm sorry you edited your post; I rather liked the original.

PallasAthena likes this.
  18. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2016

I have dropped off also. I've been busy trying to meet all my commitments at school. I always seem to add more! I haven't liked the tone of some posters here and I don't enjoy negativity. On a positive note, I received a teaching award recently and another recipient introduced herself to me. We had chatted privately here and she recognized my name. It was really neat to meet. She is no longer active either.

PallasAthena and DizneeTeachR like this.
  19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2016

Congrats on the award, Maryhf!

Maryhf likes this.
  20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 20, 2016

Congratulations!

21. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2016

I've been around the forum for over 10 years, but haven't posted in quite a while. I still lurk occasionally. I moved into an admin position 2 years ago and I just started an AP position this year. I used to come here quite often to give or get teaching advice. I think I stopped visiting regularly when I left the classroom. When I would come back to see what was going on I didn't really recognize any of the posters anymore.

22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 20, 2016

I've been around for a while now, but I haven't been around for a while... (Parse those semantics, I dare you!)

Life's gotten in the way... I've posted less since I got married, and then even less as my wife's health has taken a nosedive. Unfortunately, she has been in the hospital for a month and a half with a strange disease that resulted in needing an amputation... they initially cut below the knee on her birthday, then had to amputate above the knee on my birthday. Needless to say, it's been a pretty lousy year.

Add to that that I'm dealing with an extraordinarily difficult class right now, and untenable classroom composition, and I'm just doing my best to survive for the next little while.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 20, 2016

I'm so sorry, monsieurteacher, for all the pain you and your wife are going through. Hang in there and do come back to post when you need to relieve stress.

Keep coming back, cheeryteacher and maryhf. Just ignore any of the posts or posters that annoy you. The moderators are doing their best to keep it professional.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2016

monsieurteacher.... so sorry that you & wife have to deal with such health issues. That really does stink. I am sorry your class is so tough as well. You should be Superman after a year like this. Hugs to you & your wife.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2016

Hugs and prayers, Monsieur....