Where Does It ALL Come From

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AZKinderTchr, Jul 3, 2006.

1. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

Just a note -- have any of you packed up your classroom lately? I am moving out of state so everything had to be packed. I have only been teaching for 1 1/2 years. I think I am up to 4 or 5 boxes of stuff. And that's after getting rid of a lot. I downsized my classroom library by sending home books at the end of the year, got rid of all old crayons, markers, colored pencils and ALL of that stuff we all collect because "I bet I could use this for something". My kids thought it was Christmas on the last day and I am still lugging around so much stuff. What will I be like in 10 years. Oh my!:eek:

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2006

Yea- I moved from one school to another at the end of the year- I had 3 car loads of stuff at least. It was crazy the things I found.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

I have to pack up my floor each year (we have hardwood floors and they sand/poly them every summer). That's bad enough. Anytime I think about moving my whole room, I get the shakes and have to sit down! :) I am working on my closet this summer, in fact I'm headed up there in a few minutes.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

I moved from a large classroom to a small Special Ed resource room. I have everything moved, but not unpacked yet...not sure where it's going to go. I felt sorry for our caretaker the past few weeks--he could have gotten a hernia from lifting the heavy recycling bins coming out of my room!

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 3, 2006

92 boxes. That's how many I had when we had to pack everything to move to a modular during remodeling 2 years ago. I bet today it would be 102 boxes. Good luck!

7. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jul 3, 2006

I am not willing to part with anything because I have taught every grade and have needed it all at some point. I am going to a new school this fall, and I cannot believe how much stuff I have. I just think about the money I have invested in all of this STUFF!! Ugh, it is a mess - sitting in my living room for another 2 weeks until I can get into my new room.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

In the past 7 years at my school, I have moved my classroom 3 times. I swear I won't do it again. We have no helpers to move things. One time I hired someone on my own to help with the furniture. I am trying to pare down my 'just in case' stuff.

Oh no, not the living room!!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

I took my 15 year old son in with me for one day. He spent about 6 hours packing and moving boxes and book shelves--I don't know how I could have done it without him.

10. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 3, 2006

My stuff is sitting in both my living room and in one huge closet and then sprawled in my garage. The stuff in the closet is basically an elementary-classroom-in-a-closet since I'll be teaching middle school in the fall. I only took my favorite teaching items and I hope the teacher that replaces me is brand new or else she is going to hate that I left so many things behind in my old classroom. I have changed classrooms and teaching assignments each of my four years of teaching and it just adds up, doesn't it?

11. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

word from a new teacher...anything left behind is AWESOME! the teacher before me left some items in the room when she moved out...and I can say that I am so thankful! It wasn't much, but anything and everything helps when you are a new teacher!!!

12. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 3, 2006

Solution for too many boxes:
    send to me plz k thanx

13. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

LOL -- MissV -- I think I'll have to hold onto my boxes but I sure wish I had some strapping young man to haul them around for me!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2006

Let me know if you find any strapping young men, okay?

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2006

This is the story of my teaching career...move, move, move. In the beginning, it was moving to different schools. Then, it was moving because of changing grades. I wish I could say I was done- but it seems to be a trend with me. I like the newness of a new room or a new grade.

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 4, 2006

Miss V,
    Anything in particular you could use that maybe we could help with?

Mable,
    I teach 4th and love it, but don't want to retire having only taught
    4th!! My principal doesn't move anyone unless it's due to numbers of students in the grade.

17. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 4, 2006

Hah! I don't really need/need anything Missy... I mean unless you have a giant crate full of educational games that you have a crazy desperate desire to send my way ;)

I wonder if that is part of the teacher way? Does everyone else have a crazy desire to collect things? I keep going to yard sales and collecting the weirdest stuff. (Sometimes I can't even use it, or it's broken, but I have to buy it anyway, JUST IN CASE!) Like: I bought a brass balance that had 2 chains missing. (I fixed it and it looks as good as new!) Oh and a stuffed ninja rat...for apparantly no reason.

I've just succumbed to the inevitable.
    Elementary School Teacher = Packrat :):)

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 4, 2006

Hope you have a lot of storage space, Miss V! Sounds like fun, though.
    I do save a lot - anyone need several dozen margarine tubs or coffee cans? I finally quit saving paper towel rolls awhile back, so maybe that is progress!!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2006

I'm returning to teaching after 6 years home with the kids. When I left, I gave pretty much everything to one of the new math teachers-- a former student of mine. (Actually, I'm looking forward to working with him!)

Do you think he'll give it all back? :)

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2006

Don't bet on it! Unless he's tired of it by now or it's all messed up. For a while I suspected that I wanted to teach because of the stuff and I felt guilty. My sister collects stuff, but at least she sells it on ebay. Yesterday, I spent about 3 hours cleaning out one closet at home, a small one, and made a run to Goodwill. Now that feels great!! So, when I say I purge periodically, I don't mean a physical ailment.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 4, 2006

I've been at the same school for 4 years now. I've had to pack & move every year. 2 years ago I switched from K to 3rd, I had soo much stuff, I brought in mostly my own boxes used those got some from work, got more from work, wanted more but they told me that there were no more boxes! K stuff takes up alot of space, plus I was sorting: stuff to leave, stuff to move to 3rd grade with me, my own kinder stuff that I wasn't ready to get rid of!

I just accumulate stuff constantly. You never know when you might need something. Fellow teachers come to me looking for "stuff" construction paper, beads, glue, wiggly eyes, yarns, brass rads etc. etc.

I'm tired of moving & packing up. I hope this is my last move! I'd be content, today at least, to stay in the same room for the next 20 years!

22. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 4, 2006

I am glad to read that I am not alone in the packrat phase of my life. I have been here since 2003. I brought my stuff from Kentucky and it took 2 trips in my car just for the teaching stuff. That's not counting the stuff that's still in my Mom's garage. I have one room of my apartment that besides the guest bed is designated as "school". It has preceeded to take over not only it's space but the spare closet, the corner of the living room and part of the storage area. I taught K when I first got here then moved to 2nd, the next year they moved 2nd to the "mobile learning cottages" so I had to pack everything, move it again and in the process lost my wonderful storage cabinets (they hid a multitude of sins) and also my access to a sink and bathrooms (not a good thing with second graders). But it was wonderful to know that for the first time starting my 3rd year in a grade level I didn't have to pack and move.