Where does all that tax money go?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AmyMyNamey, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 4, 2018

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 15, 2018

4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 15, 2018

This type of thing will become more common in the next many years. It reminds me of teaching in August and September here, with no air conditioning. You might not think it a big deal, but it is hard to concentrate when you are sweating your but off.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 15, 2018

Why would it become more common?

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 15, 2018

Our thermostats are set for us. Air conditioner on 73. Heat on 68. We always get complaints. Some are too hot. Some are too cold.

We have been under a spending freeze. Have been most of the year. We are no longer able to Donors Choose, so we are pretty much either doing without or buying it ourselves.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 15, 2018

My first school had no air conditioning. I brought box fans to survive. I thought my next school was so fancy with its air conditioning...

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 15, 2018

Ours are set too, but they go overboard in the opposite direction. The other day it was like 20 degrees out and I had to open the windows because of the oppressive heat blasting into my room up to like 87-88. Don't get me wrong, it's better than the alternative, but it's a complete waste. If they let me control it, no way I'd ever put it past 70 no matter how cold it is outside.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 15, 2018

Why no Donors Choose?

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 15, 2018

NJ doesn’t allow fans that aren’t wall mounted. I suppose it depends on how closely the fire marshall and head of maintenance are looking though.

Backroads likes this.
  11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 15, 2018

They are very complex systems. It isn’t like in your home. Each room in the chain is dependent on others in certain systems. So if room one isn’t a certain temp, no heat makes it down to room 8.

12. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 15, 2018

If you are at a public school, this represents mismanagement or corruption in my eyes. I can't be the only one who finds these situations beyond reason. We pay our taxes. Where does the money go?

Seriously, we have money for perpetual war. We have money to keep a disproportionate percentage of the population in prison. But we don't have money to heat and cool our schools?

Heads need to roll.

TrademarkTer likes this.
  13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 15, 2018

Again, have you actually read your local budget? It is public record.

This one is for Newark, what would be the NJ equivalent to Baltimore Maryland
    http://www.nps.k12.nj.us/departments/sba/finance/budget/2017-2018-budget-information/

While you’re reviewing, pay special attention to amount raised by local taxes and what the state pays.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 15, 2018

We were told by central office that we had to get permission before putting anything up. Then the principal told us that we weren't to do it because it makes the school look bad, like we have to beg for materials.

Backroads and AlwaysAttend like this.
  15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 15, 2018

Well, our tax money really isn't the biggest contributor. We get state money and federal (IDEA and TItle I) money that makes up most of ours. No money for extras. No money for professional development or workshops for everyone. We are facing cute, so we are holding on to what we have.

Our tax base is small. One factory. Few other businesses. School is probably the largest employer.

AmyMyNamey and AlwaysAttend like this.
  16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 15, 2018

But you do have to beg for materials because they aren’t giving them to you. Unless it’s frivolous stuff that really would be an extra. If I see another teacher ask for 1 iPad i’m gonna lose it. I mean, let’s not kid ourselves into thinking that’s getting shared around a room of 25.

17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 15, 2018

... which, obviously, you do...

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 15, 2018

How is this even permissible in the public school system? It is dangerous for the student’s and staff member’s health and can severely detract from the learning process.

At my school, as soon as something breaks we just submit a help desk request and the maintenance members come as soon as they are able or immediately depending on the priority. And if they cannot fix it, they order a new part or a new unit and expedite the shipping. This kind of thing would just not stand.

Ridiculous.

19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 15, 2018

Old systems without easy to find parts. Departments filled with patronage hires. When staff can’t fix, might need to be bid out. This is how these things happen.

20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 15, 2018

This seems so inefficient. My school has millions in reserves ($10 million+) just for school repairs and hardware or structural replacements. They try to prepare for every eventuality.

21. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 15, 2018

So do many public schools. That are run properly anyway. At the end of the year, funds can be deposited into capital funds (building, maintenance, etc.) or returned to tax payers. That’s why there’s a mad dash to by random wish list items at the end of the year.

22. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 15, 2018

Prof can't help but make it into a public/private debate #waronpublicschools lol

23. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 15, 2018

I mean the bidding process is stupid but necessary due to public corruption.

24. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 15, 2018

Just pointing out an observation. ;)

25. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jan 16, 2018

The temperature has an affect on our (students in my school) students’ behaviour. This is just observation from myself and other teachers over the years and we talk about it amongst ourselves and we get “forewarned” during morning briefings if the weather is going to be extra hot and humid because that’s an almost guarantee that kids are going to be on a short fuse, more likely to be aggressive etc. during break times out in the yard. Suspension rates are higher during these days. Students have to be outdoors unless it is raining so we teachers are always extra vigilant. So I think the weather does play a part in students’ behaviour and attitude. I don’t ever face the problem of it being too cold but I can imagine not wanting to concentrate and just wanting to ‘hibernate’.

26. Kindergally

Kindergally Rookie

Jan 16, 2018

I spent some time teaching in the Baltimore City school system and this is pretty typical. If anyone has watched the HBO series, The Wire, they do a season on the school system and it lays it all out pretty well. We have a chauffeur for our superintendent who makes 4X what a teacher with 30 years experience and multiple degrees makes in overtime. We also can't drink our school's water and they can't find money in the budget to buy or replace bottled water. It is all corruption based which ultimately leads to our high crime and poverty rates.

anon55, AmyMyNamey and AlwaysAttend like this.
  27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 16, 2018

That is incredible, Kindergally.

28. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 16, 2018

So the job of a cashier is more difficult than the job of a school superintendent is your position. We should just pay the cashier 100,000.

29. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 16, 2018

If you knew anything about Baltimore, you’d know their problems run much deeper than schools and the problems with schools existed long before charters.

30. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 17, 2018

Or if you speak out, you get trolled by the anti-labor lobby.

So much money to be made by exploiting and suppressing others, and too many sycophants willing to growl and bark.

anon55 likes this.
  31. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2018

I don't agree with exceptionally high salaries and bonuses for top administrators or superintendents (or school board), but the truth is, usually the amount they are paid wouldn't really put much in a paycheck once it is dispersed among all of the staff that is required to run the school because doesn't the cafeteria worker/ aide/ psychologist/ etc deserve a raise as much as the teachers?

Now, the money might be well spent fixing broken AC or heating systems, problems with water fountains, or getting needed textbooks, etc, but in terms of salary for staff, once you divide it among everyone you are looking at a small amount extra a year. Teachers aren't underpaid because the super gets a high salary. They are underpaid because staff is large (not unnecessarily) but tend to be the bulk of any school district's budget.

32. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 17, 2018

C5CC3FC2-5AA9-403F-BEE6-218FB90B272B.png
    You have decided to declare Baltimore teachers underpaid with no basis in reality. Here is their contract scale. The reason people dismiss your arguments is because they are so easily dismissable.

33. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2018

Actually, I was speaking in general, not just Baltimore City.

My comment still stands. Reducing compensation of a few upper administrators will not impact the paycheck of those lower who complain they aren't making enough because of the compensation of the top administrators.

Do you want to address my comment or just passive-agressively insult by going off on a tangent?

34. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 17, 2018

It will result in the admin fleeing to higher paying jobs and a lack of continuity. A problem we experience in NJ regularly.

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 17, 2018

Some snarky posts have caused this thread to be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.