Where do you train for Montessori teaching?

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by marandsun, Apr 9, 2014.

1. marandsun

marandsun New Member

Apr 9, 2014

I'm in Southern California. What school do you recommend for learning the Montessori method? I also need info about the CBEST

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2014

For CBEST, visit the Basic Skills Tests subforum: you can get there using the Forum Jump tool below.

4. leila76

leila76 New Member

Apr 14, 2014

You are so lucky to be in Southern California!

San Diego has a great school, Montessori Institute of San Diego. They have both Primary (ages 3-6) and Elementary (6-12) trainings. You can also get graduate credit through Loyola University.

There are two other AMI training centers on the west coast: one near San Jose and the other in Portland. I attended the Portland school, Montessori Northwest. Definitely check out their website. Even if you decide to stay in Southern California, Montessori Northwest gives a clear picture both of what a Montessori education looks like and what a quality training program looks like.

There are other trainings besides AMI. AMS is also very well respected in the United States. Two good AMS schools are St. Mary's in the Bay Area and UC Irvine in Southern California. As an AMI graduate, I strongly prefer an AMI school because they tend to have a much stronger grounding in Montessori theory. That said AMS schools are very good and tend to be less expensive than AMI schools.

If you are considering anything besides an AMI or AMS affiliated training, be very careful. Many programs that are lacking these well known affiliations are also lacking any sort of quality. Many schools will require their teachers to be either AMI or AMS trained.

Just to be clear though, a Montessori credential will not allow you to teach in traditional schools and vice versa. Also very few Primary teachers would be asked to pass the CBEST. Elementary teachers, however, would be much more employable if they had a traditional credential and passed the CBEST as well as a Montessori credential.

5. UditGanguly

UditGanguly Rookie

Mar 18, 2015

We all know why Montessori school is famous. Here teachers used to think out of box so they need special training, so that they can give their best. There are some special training centers available for Montessori teaching, where you get training regarding this.