Where do you teach?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ifightaliens, Feb 5, 2009.

1. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

Feb 5, 2009

What is your school/district like where you teach?

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2009

Ummm. . . this is stalker-fodder. I'm not sure I even like the anonymous knowing what state I'm in.

Come to think of it, I'm going to delete that off my profile now...

edit: Oh, misinterpreted the question. Apologies

4. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2009

You fight aliens? Sometimes I think our schools are full of them! The teachers or the kids? Probably both! Anyway, our district is in a big city in the southeast. Even though my particular school is in the suburbs, we have the make-up of an inner city school--heavy on the minority and immigrant populations, and very high poverty. When I have a reason to visit a school in a more affluent suburb, it's like a different world. But the kids need us here!

5. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

Feb 9, 2009

Oh man! I didn't mean it that way 3sons :p.

For instance, I'm in an urban setting. We're in a good area, but many of the kids that come in are from rougher neighborhoods, and bring that mentality with them. And unfortunately, our administration isn't all that hard on the discipline. I'm interested to see what it's like in other schools.

6. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Feb 9, 2009

We are in an urban setting. Our school district has school choice, so parents, who have the means, can have their child attend a different school. Our school is still stuck with a bad reputation that was well-deserved until about 5 years ago. Our administration is always in some kind of flux from year to year, but the staff has become better at advocating for ourselves and maintaining our long-term goals. Our students are good kids for the most part, but we fight a real lack of apathy about homework. Many of our students have lots of change going on in their home lives, which makes them wary of new adults.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2009

High-end suburbia, considered a top 25 high school by Newsweek for our state. Mostly good kids, good parents, relatively stable administration and high-quality staff (even if I do say so myself!)

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2009

I'm in an urban school. Our student population is half neighborhood kids, half magnet kids. It's an interesting mix. I like it very much, at least on most days. =)

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 10, 2009

Tiny
    Rural
    K-12 under 1 roof
    A lot of alum work there (I'm an outsider)
    Center of community

10. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Feb 11, 2009

Rural, large for the area
    District has multiple elem. and middle that funnel eventually into the hs
    Many students are in foster care, one-parent home, grandparent care, one-income or no income homes.
    Farm area (4-H strong!)
    Variety of students from the "John Deere" to "emo" and up to former students now in local/state government positions.
    Many alum, i'm outsider.
    Decent admin support-district is coming out of bad slump starting to turn around-cutting edge tech. use daily.

11. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Feb 14, 2009

I'm with Historyteaching....

Rural setting with many of my kids living or working on farms. Several in foster care, one parent homes, grandparent care, or even being raisded by siblings. We also have quite a few immigrants.

We're not so much 4-H strong as we are FFA strong. We offer electives in agriculture, welding, auto mechanics, and even have an archery team.

Most of my students have been going to school with each other since elementary or earlier.

12. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 14, 2009

I am in a district of approximately 10,000 students. Only district for about 62,000 people. Mostly white community with a population of about 15-20% minorities. We have 9 elementary schools, 4 very affluent, 5 average to low socio-economic.

Is there a plural for elementary?

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 14, 2009

We are a rural, high-poverty school. We have one preschool/kindergarten, two 1-5 elementaries, one 6-8 middle school, and one 9-12 high school. There are between 150-220 students in each grade level. Our schools are mostly white, probably 98% or better.

The majority of our teachers are native to the county, with most of the others being from surrounding counties.

A lot of people saw the recent show about Appalachia. We're there.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 14, 2009

Urban
    High poverty
    High immigrant
    High migrant worker families
    We're small as we're an experimental school...k-12 under one roof (or will be in two years...right now, k-2, 6-10). I kinda like that because it allows the staff to know each child by name, and that familiarity breeds responsibility to one's actions...and fewer disipline problems than in traditional settings.

15. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

We have FFA too, ag, weld, electricity...yup...Most of the boys go right towards them.

16. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

We may be closer than what I thought..I live in Oh, work in Kentucky..we are Appalachia as well. We average about 1000 in our high school I'd say 98% is close to our percentage of white students.

17. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2009

I teach in an urban setting but way on the outskirts of the city so my students are really more small town than big city.We don't have much mobility.

18. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Feb 15, 2009

To HistoryTeaching and Ima Teacher....

It's a very small world. I grew up in Appalachia. Was born in Wise County Virginia and know places like Harrogate, Newport, Middlesboro, Corbin, Hazard, and Tazwell quite well. I've also spent quite a bit of time in Portsmouth, Piketon, and Chillocothe for our Ohio brethren. They are a very different kind of community, but I like them a lot and where I'm at now is very similar to what I grew up with.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 16, 2009

My parents were married in Wise.