Where do you take your 4th graders on field trips?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Hamster, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Mar 10, 2008

Do you have a favorite field trip for your class? Where do you go?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 10, 2008

We go on an overnight most years. It's really fun. Usually camping of some kind. One year we had an overnight at the aquarium.

We also go to the Children's Theatre a lot.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 10, 2008

We go mostly to the high school to see their productions--sometimes it's great, other times, like today, I wish we had stayed at school. Today, we saw West Side Story, which was a little mature for our kids--there was a lot of kissing and some other innuendos that are better left for much older students, or adults. :)
    One year, we did get to go to the state house museum--that was very fun and educational.

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 10, 2008

So far this year we've gone to...

*The Glass Slipper play
    *The Trumpet and the Swan play

We might go to a local pizzeria this spring to tie into our Mini Economy unit.

In years past the 4th grade has gone to Chicago via the South Shore. I can't see us taking this bunch into the city, especially on the South Shore. I would need to put some on leashes. :haha: (That's a joke.) Furthermore, I would need a sedative on the way back home...

6. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Mar 10, 2008

This is my first year in 4th. SO far this year we have been to Kenndy Space Center, Everglades Nation Park and Thursday they are headed to St. Augistine (which I don't have to go on!).

I liked Kennedy best.... so far.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Mar 10, 2008

Are you a private school? In public school land, we are administering the math FCAT on Thursday. Unless I am reading the date wrong.

St. Augustine is my FAVORITE trip of all. I lived there for four years, so I am partial. However, we visit the lighthouse, fort, and go on the trolley tour through the city. I am thinking maybe I'd love to try something like Ripley's as well either this year if we raise enough money (and go right at dinnertime, followed by a fast dinner right in front) or in the future. We have pen pals there from the school I interned at, and though it's a large expense, it's exhiliarating fun for my students. After our trip, we put on a 40-minute play at school.

Here are the trips of the year:
    October 2007: Environmental Center- It was really exciting. My students went on a nature walk, and we had an outdoor picnic. Inside there were all kinds of exhibits and microscope explorations for the class to complete. My high school science teacher is in charge of the center, so that made the trip even more exciting for me.

December 2007: City Hall- We decorated the City Hall Christmas tree with the kindergarten class we help out. This was a low point for our class morale, to be honest. Some kids were not in a great mood that day. Some kids had fun and loved being with their Book Buddies, but overall, they weren't really themselves.

February 2008: Spiderwick Chronicles at the movie theater- We went just a few weeks ago, and the class was wonderful!! It was just a few hours, but we were relaxed. Everyone got a complimentary popcorn and beverage of choice for free [the school paid for it].

April 2008: Busch Gardens- We're going on Physics Day! I am VERY excited. :up:

April 2008: We may go somewhere with kindergarten Book Buddies again. They are going on a horseback riding field trip, I think, where we may have to help out a little bit.

May 2008: Last but not least, the wonderful St. Augustine. 7:30 a.m.- 10:00 p.m.! I already talked about it a little bit. More than anything, it's a bonding day for parents/students, as most parents are willing to attend! :)

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 10, 2008

Field trips are really hit and miss. We have seen two plays this year that I was not pleased with and only one I liked.

Anyway, I totally suggest that if the theatre in your area does free teacher previews, do them. I would have canceled some tickets this year otherwise.

We also went to the science museum twice and I want to go to one more museum before the end of the year.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 12, 2008

We have been to a nature center twice, one play, one historical site, and just today got back from our three days at camp.
    This was our last year at overnight camp; our district has changed its policy on this.

10. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Mar 15, 2008

Yes I'm in a private school. We don't administer FCAT only SAT!

11. denise

denise Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

We go to:
    1) the Zoo as part of our science topic of Camouflage & Habitats

2) The city markets/Chinatown as part of our Social Studies topic of Asian culture - I love this excursion! the kids are in small groups and they go on a "scavenger hunt" around the markets, looking for different items. Each group is given a small amount of money and they need to find and purchase certain ingredients to bring back to class. We then use the ingredients back at school to create an Indonesian meal (the country we focus on in Grade 4)

3) A Historical Walk around our local area as part of our Local History topic in Social Studies - The elderly volunteer from the local historical group is fantastic. He takes us on a guided history walk of the town and shares so much information with the kids. It makes the topic come alive, more than just reading about it in books. When we learn more in class I can then refer back to our excursion and the kids can identify with it a lot better.

12. Trice2006

Trice2006 Rookie

Apr 16, 2008

A lot of our field trips relate to our Social Studies curriculum. This yeear we have went to St. Mary's City which is one of the first town in Maryland, We went to the Native American Museum in D.C. and we are going to Annapolis. I think Annapolis is my favorite field so far.

13. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 5, 2008

Since 4th grade is California history in our state, our students usually go to Calico Ghost Town, an old silver mining town. Also our town has a performing arts center and a planatarium to visit.

14. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

May 7, 2008

At my school we do outdoor education each year. In 4th grade it is the first time that outdoor ed is an overnight camping trip. We do different activities with naturalists. This year we are building shelters and making our own fire, rock climbing, and pond ecology. So we get to sleep over with the kids. Their favorite memories might be seeing their teacher in pajamas!

15. Nessy

Nessy Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

I live in Washington and we study all about Washington in fourth grade.

1. Corn maze in the shape of Washington (all paths are acutal highways)
    2. Our state capital
    3. Washington History Museum (it's fantastic, see if your state has anything like it).
    4. A guided nature walk though a forest, since we study forests.

16. Ems

Ems Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

We can take 3 trips.

1. In fourth grade we do NC history, so one trip is to the capital building, and the Science / History museums are right across the street , so we make a full day of it.

2. We have a Native American / colonist camp that actually comes and sets up at our school for a day of the same activities they do at their location. That way we can have more time and not have to worry about busses.

3. Big trip to the Outerbanks.

17. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jun 27, 2008

The fourth graders at my school always go to Washington D.C.

18. lovinkids

lovinkids New Member

Jun 28, 2008

4th Grade Field Trips

I'm teaching in the fall at a private school where fourth grade students fly to Sacramento & San Francisco for a four day trip, and go to Disneyland's California Adventure at the end of the year. :)

19. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 28, 2008

We take our 4th graders to our state capital, Trenton, as we study the history of NJ in Grade 4. They get to go to the State House and one year we were lucky to see our Governor arriving for a meeting.