Where do you shop?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mrs. Q, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 14, 2009

I know this question could get a huge range of answers. :)

But I'm trying to build up my wardrobe... right now, I'm subbing and doing some field work through my university. This will build up more and more until I student teach next spring, so I am trying to build up my wardrobe as I go.

I'm not great about dresses/skirts, and I don't do heels, unless they're more chunky/wedge-like. So far, I always wear dress slacks with a sweater or button-down shirt. But it gets boring!

I'm young, so I want to dress my age, but still look mature and in charge, you know?? Right now, I mostly shop at Gap, Old Navy, etc... but it's always hit or miss when I go shopping.

So, where do YOU get your "teacher" clothes?? :D

3. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 14, 2009

JC Penney. I wear a lot of Alfred Dunner, Sag Harbor, and Cabin Creek.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 14, 2009

I'm a hardcore Anthropologie fan. I usually only get items on clearance, so it's about $30-40 for a top or sweater or skirt. If you get a couple a month, you can build a really cute wardrobe.

I found an AMAZING dress at H&M tonight for $35-so cute and perfect that I'm going to drive 35 minutes tomorrow to another H&M to get it in my size.

I also love J. Crew-they had a great couple of tops tonight, but none were on clearance and I don't want to pay $50 for a t-shirt. But way cute if you can get stuff on sale.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 14, 2009

Macys***, JCPenney, Gap, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Eddie Baur.

When I was younger I used to shop at Old Navy all the time. I still have a ton of skirts from there.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2009

LL Bean for twinsets that wear like iron - actually their pima cotton t-shirt plus the button-front tee in the same color.

Christopher and Banks for cute sweaters - they carry a lot of 3/4 sleeved tops, which I like. Some of their stuff is too "cute" for high school, but I usually find very wearable pieces.

I also get pants and tops at Lands End and Eddie Bauer. I like a classic look (and I'm far too mature to wear anything trendy!)

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 14, 2009

I get my dress pants from Express. I love them! I also shop at Banana Republic, Gap, Ann Taylor Loft and Jcrew

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 14, 2009

Kohl's

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 14, 2009

Kohl's, JC Penny's are some of the stores I shop at but it just depends on your style and what you can afford. I like the no wrinkle shirts where the sleeve folds above your elbow with a button or just fold back. I seem to get warm easily when I'm teaching so I don't do long sleeve shirts, just a fleece or a sweater if I get cold.

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Feb 14, 2009

JJill, Eddie Bauer, Coldwatercreek. They are a bit pricy but they last.

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Feb 14, 2009

Ann Taylor Loft and The Limited.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 14, 2009

I'm no longer "young", but I refuse to look frumpy.

Most of my wardrobe comes from Lane Bryant, New York & Company, and Old Navy. I find things at JC Penney, Kohl's, Macy's, Talbot's, and the Gap . . . but it's usually hit & miss there. Same with TJ Maxx and Marshall's.

I order online quite a bit. I'm 30 miles from the closest Penney's & Kohl's . . . and I'm 50 miles from the others.

I tend to keep my slacks and skirts in classic styles & neutral colors. Same with the shoes, but I do heels, flats, and wedges. I do, however, like to spice things up with different blouses. I like classic pieces because they're so . . . classic, but I think that also gets a bit dull sometiimes. I like to look like I have at least a little knowledge of current style.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2009

I'm young too, and I LOVE New York and Company. I usually only buy off the sale rack-I can get 7-8 items (dress shirts, pants, skirts, suit jackets) for about $70 if the sale is right.

14. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 15, 2009

Do you know (or anyone else here happen to know) just how expensive they are? There's one not far from me, but in a more well-to-do area. I'd like to check them out, but am afraid I can't afford them.

15. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

I checked their website last night, and they're pretty expensive, for my taste, lol. Most blouses ran between $60 and $75 with some as much as $100 and pants more than that. Their sales were good, though - most of the shirts were marked down to $30-$40 which is closer to what I'm used to paying.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

17. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

I would look into your local thrift store. I do most of my shopping there and a lot of clearance racks at other stores. You can find all these name brands at the thrift store for a couple bucks.

Just this week I bought 5 shirts, a beautiful salmon gap spring jacket, and a crayon maker (that crazy art teacher in me) for 15.00.

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2009

Lane Bryant, Macy's, Avenue, Old Navy online for my basic tees. That's about it.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 15, 2009

If you're short on cash, New York & Company, TJ Maxx, Ross, SteinMart, & Marshalls has nice, work attire for a good price & you can always find things on sale at any dept store.

If money's really no object, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Chico's, Cache, Anthropologie, White House Black Market & Talbots are nice.

I like Victoria's Secret style too, but a lot of it's too revealing for work, but you can still find a lot if you don't mind ordering online or by phone.

20. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

You said you shop at Gap, Old navy so go to Jcrew, they have similary style. They also give teachers 15% off any thing you buy.

21. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

Ann Taylor Loft, Old Navy, New York and Company, Macy's and Kohl's

22. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 15, 2009

Macy's. I've found some insane deals on their clearance racks.

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2009

Macy's is fabulous when they have their sales. I like Penny's. Today I bought a dressy spring jacket at Target. I hardly ever buy clothes at Target, but was in a hurry today and happened to be there.

24. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 15, 2009

I love Banana Republic. I also love to shop at New York and Co. I've recently found some cheap items at Nordstroms The Rack. Lot of name brands for cheap. I usually stick to my jeans and KU tees for work though since I teach toddlers. I keep my other clothes for the weekends and dates with my boyfriend.

25. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

I totally second the Thrift Store. It is a great place to find basics for a teacher wardrobe. Though you do have to be a little more diligent about searching the racks for your size - but it pays off.

I went to Goodwill yesterday and got a lined skirt, 2 dresses, a blouse, and a really cool chunky beaded necklace for $20 or so.

My other favorite place is JC Penney- but I only shop the clearance rack - especially when they have everything marked down to $4.95. :D

And Target clearance, or Macy's. Pretty much any clearance rack. In fact, I can't remember last last time I paid full retail for a piece of clothing. I prefer to get everything below $10 - Below $5, if I can!

26. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2009

The Anthropologie around here is very very expensive. Usually dressed are in the $150 range and shirts and pants are in the $80-$100 range. Plus, the quality doesn't seem to be good to me, but I mostly shop at Talbots clearance sales and thrift stores.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2009

I love Banana Republic - they're they only company whose clothes seem to fit no matter what I choose! But they are expensive, so unless they're having an awesome sale, I buy on ebay!

I hit up Goodwill - it can takes HOURS to go through the racks, but it's totally worth it. I left the other day with a fitted blazer, two skirts, and a button-down shirt for $15.

TJMax and Ross are good, though they rarely seem to have my size.

I like Gap, but they recently closed the one near me. Also love J. Crew.

28. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2009

I love shopping at Kohl's, Old Navy, some things at JCPenney.

29. piggy2009

piggy2009 Rookie

Feb 21, 2009

cheap places, such as old navy, sears, ross, tj max and macy's for clearance clothes

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 22, 2009

I posted here already, but I LOVE the INC. brand clothing at Macy's!

31. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2009

Ann Taylor Loft often has great sale racks. I just bought some really nice black dress pants, a black cami, a white shirt and a sort of gauzy black cardigan sweater. It would have come to $185, but they had a special $50 off any purchase over $150. None of my items were on sale, so that worked out great.

Some of the pieces can get a little expensive, but everything I have ever bought from ATL washes and wears exceptionally well. I buy almost exclusively black and I use black/dark Woolite and even after several years, the blacks are still very dark or new looking. I have a scoop neck black long sleeved tee that I love so much that I end up washing it every week. 3 years later it looks like new; it was $36. This past October, I bought two long sleeved black tees from Target for $15 each and both have holes and are faded and ready for the scrap heap. I wash them in the same loads as my AT stuff AND lace undies from VS. I'll stick with buying better stuff, just less of it!

32. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2009

Definitely Macy's clearance racks. I just bought a recycled (I wouldn't have bought it otherwise) cashmere Calvin Klein coat for $70, marked down from $450. I wasn't looking for a coat, but they only had one, and it happened to be my size. What's a girl to do?