Where Do You Shop...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, Aug 1, 2013.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2013

Where do you typically buy your school clothes? Do you usually buy yourself new "Back to School" clothes?

3. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 1, 2013

I like JJill. If you wait long enough, the good stuff goes on sale and eventually it's 30-40 percent off the sale price. Then, I'll buy it, haha! Clothes shopping is my weakness. I always try to get "back to school" clothes, but I also get them throughout the year (just not so many at once).

4. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

Ann loft and old navy (I'm on a serious budget)

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 1, 2013

I usually buy myself one new back to school outfit at Winners. Old Navy is another place I like to go as well.

6. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

I shop wherever I find something that fits and is in budget. My local town has Walmart, CATO and Peebles. If I drive 35 miles, there are many more options: Kohls, Walmart, Sears, TJ Maxx, Christopher Banks, J C Penney, Elder Beerman, and Kmart. I have to drive over an hour to get to a mall with more options.
    I do try to update my wardrobe each school year. This year I'm being cautious, we have a new superintendent who may inforce a dress code.

7. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

I casually shop sales throughout the year looking for good deals, so I don't necessarily buy extra outfits at back to school time. However, I usually have good finds at New York & Company, Kohl's, Maurices, Target, and JC Penney.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 1, 2013

I got a few pairs of dress capris from Target, a couple of sale items at Anthroplogie, some pieces from a friend who sells Cabi, and lots of random items from a consignment store. I shop year round as well, but love any excuse to get a few special items. :)

9. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 1, 2013

Old Navy, Target, Macy's, and Ross are my favorites. I can never seem to find good stuff at Kohl's like others can.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

Express!!! Love that store!

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

I love Express too! It's to the point where I go in the store and can't find anything to buy because I already have everything I want from there. I think 90% of the clothes I wore last year came from there.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2013

I try to get at least a few new things. I think everyone, kids & adults alike, enjoy getting new things.

I like Nordstrom, Macy's, The Limited, New York & Co., sometimes Steinmart, Express, Bloomingdale's, & Anthropologie. Also this little shop in Santa Monica called Mudra.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 2, 2013

I have had no luck at Kohl's the last 4 times I have been there. I seriously have walked out without buying anything. I don't know if their quality has changed or my tastes have changed. Most of the problem is i'm trying to lose a few more lbs and am between sizes so in jeans I can't quite fit into a 4 but the 5 juniors don't fit either and the 6 is too big. Maybe I should try another store like Macy's. I had the same problem with Target jeans. 90% of the teachers at my school wear jeans every day so that's what I usually buy. I want to get a pair of black, khaki and navy pants also but don't want to spend too much. I guess I'm just too picky LOL I will try some of the stores mentioned but we don't have many of them around here.

14. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

You're not alone. I used to get excited when I got a 30% coupon in the mail...but that excitement has waned because more often than not... when I shop at Kohl's, I find a shirt I may like only to discover they only have it in XXL, XXXL, and 4XL. :eek:

I've mentioned this to the manager and he's just calmly replied, "You know... I hear that a lot from customers."

Great. Glad to know I'm not unique in that regard. :)

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 2, 2013

Well, can't they order the more popular sizes??? Geesh, what's the point of having those sizes if nobody is buying them?

16. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

Preaching to the choir! :)

Whenever I saunter by the CLEARANCE RACKS, you know what I find? You guessed it...mostly XXL and 3XL, etc. clothes. Gosh, I wonder why.

I have often wondered if there's a correlation between our country's rising obesity problem and what sizes many stores' buyers purchase.

17. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 2, 2013

Ann Taylor Loft & Ann Taylor. I shop the regular stores, but will make the hour trip to the outlets a few times a year, and usually always before school starts.

I have two Banana Republic outlet within 30 minutes, so I'm there all the time.

18. lcr

lcr Companion

Aug 2, 2013

Ann Taylor Loft gives 15% off for teachers and they sometimes do 50% off the entire store. Nice work clothes that last. I love Express for the pants and skirts especially, and they also have good sales.

19. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 2, 2013

Doesn't that drive you nuts?! Ugh!

20. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

JCrew, Loft & Banana Republic- all have teacher discounts.

Gap usually sends me good coupons so I go there too.

But this year I'm on a strict no back to school clothes budget (or maybe just 1 or 2 things lol) I really don't think I need anything.

21. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

I've only bought a few things to spruce up what I already had. Found a nice top at JCPenney and actually found an oxford shirt that fits my "girls"!

While shopping I noticed that the styles and patterns are sooo not to my taste. I lived through the 70s and have pictures of myself in peasant tops...ugh. I don't want wear an updated version.

One place I haven't checked out yet is Dress Barn. Found some great bargains on their clearance rack in the spring.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

I bought a great dress there this week. We don't have Dress Barn here in Ontario, but I'll be going back next week when I take my daughter down to school in Ohio--I've already (I think) picked out what I'm giong to get.

23. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 2, 2013

I want to check out dress barn too before school starts soon. I'm really working hard at losing weight so I'm going to buy a couple of new skirts and dresses- they are much easier to wear at a changing size than pants. Then hopefully I'll have lost enough by Christmas to get more pants and things as part of my Christmas shopping. It's a new school so I'm not sure if we have jean day Fridays or not...I hope so, because that's less dress clothes for me to buy! I'm also on the hunt for tops/dresses that are really high cut at the neck. I have a larger chest and wearing traditional tops with tank tops to layer just doesn't really cut it.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 2, 2013

Can't buy clothes in my town.

I will shop anywhere from high end places to Walmart. If I like it, I like it. Next town (20 miles) has some places. Normally I go to JC Penney and Kohl's, but sometimes I find things at Cato or Maurice's or TJ Maxx.

If I drive to the big city, I check out Talbots, Target, Old Navy, and Lane Bryant. I used to shop at The Limited, Express, New York & Company, Macy's, and Dillard's, but it's such a pain to drive there . . over 100 miles round trip and awful traffic.

25. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 2, 2013

I am in constant need of pants so I go on a quest every year to find short inseam pants (short legs). I found that the Old Navy short length pants fit great (only online), but they wrinkle. I found some Worthington pants that are a good length but too baggy.

This year I am on a quest again. Someone mentioned Victoria's Secret so that is my first stop.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

I love Kohl's online but it seems that most often when I see a pair of jeans I really like they come in size 0 and 2 only.

I ordered two pair the other day. They arrive as black dress pants which I would not wear. I call customer service, explain the situation, and have him reorder for me to ensure I get all the promotions I had used, they arrive a few days later...black pants again! So frustrating. I noticed that the jeans and pants have the same SKU, and they're both from the same brand. Big bummer...I needed those jeans!

27. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

Macy's often has some very good sale/clearance items! I've often found tops for under $10!

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

I love Old Navy. I usually place one or two really big online orders per year.

29. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 3, 2013

Goodwill and yard sales. I'm not kidding. =)

30. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2013

Loft and NY and Co mostly. NY is having a buy one pair of pants, get one free sale right now. I got 6 pairs!!!

31. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 3, 2013

Generally, I find stuff in Marshall's, Tj Maxx and sometimes Ross. I also from time to time find things in whitehouseblackmarket. Love this store!

32. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Aug 3, 2013

BTS

I usually find nice pants at our local thrift stores. I'll probably go a couple of times before school starts in two weeks :eek:. My weight tends to fluctuate, so I don't like to spend too much on clothes. Plus I'm pretty cheap! The last time I went I bought six pairs of pants for $12.00. I always try them on at home because there's no dressing room at the store. Four of them fit well, so I averaged $3.00 a pair and I can get a tax deduction when I donate the other two :D .

For tops or if I need something specific and don't have time to search thrift stores for it, I shop at Nordstrom or Macy's. I also like Talbot's, Ann Taylor, and Ann Taylor Loft when they have good sales. I buy accessories at Target and most of my shoes at zappos.com (I'm not cheap when it comes to my feet). I don't think I'll need anything new this school year though.

33. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2013

Ann Taylor
    Loft
    J Crew
    Target
    The Limited
    Zara
    Nordstrom

34. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

Count me in on the thrift store and consignment shops!

I usually take my pants and shirts that have survived the school year in to the consignment shops for resell and I come out with at least two outfits that still have more life and more spice to my wardrobe

35. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2013

Talbot's is my favorite since I like classic pieces. They have frequent sales/clearances. I also find a lot at Land's End and love that I can return them to Sears.

36. gottateachtx

gottateachtx Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I went through my closet and pulled out a few of my favorites - the comfy, faithful standbys - and wrote down the names and sizes on the tags. Then I got online and looked for them; I found all of them on Ebay! Even when the bidding kept going up, the final prices were still much less than what I would pay new. Yes, they were "gently used", but since I have often shopped at consignment stores, I don't see any difference. The great thing about it was that these were my tried and true brands, styles, and sizes. And, I got a LOT of new-to-me clothes for about a fifth of what I'd pay for new.

37. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2013

Same here. The only clothing store we have is a Goodwill. But it's a really, really great Goodwill :)

I'll drive an hour to shop at the outlet mall. They have a Banana Republic, J. Crew, White House Black Market, Bass, and a few nice shoe stores I frequent.

I also like TJ Maxx, Steinmart, Target, Express, and Beall's.

38. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 5, 2013

I'm SOOO jealous!! :(

39. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

Regarding Goodwill and consignment stores, I LOVE to shop this way. Recently, I found a fantastic tweed long winter coat that is very stylish for $5 (and I needed a winter jacket-yay) and a ton of stylish work tops in high quality brands plus some summer dresses. I hit the jackpot that day and found 30 pieces of clothing for about $150. It was the Goodwill near a college campus in June, so I may have benefited from so many college students moving out.

40. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

I saw the sale and was wondering about the new style in the ad and whether it would work for me. I just got my wisdom teeth out, but I am going to go try them when I get better. According to the length specifications I would need petite. I don't like to hem flares because they look strange hemmed, I think.

41. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

I usually shop at Walmart, Target, Kohls, and Old Navy. :)