Where do you go?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teaching Grace, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2008

I'm looking to be a more interesting and diverse person in the new year. I tried yoga several weeks ago and loved it so I'm going to continue going. But the last couple of weeks I've noticed that when I get online all I do is go to facebook, yahoo, and here... then repeat the cycle over and over... and I'm bored! I was hoping to be able to get a list of ya'lls favorite sites where you go (other than those 3 I've listed!) I love art, nature, sewing, reading, and am new to yoga.... I want to be a little bit more free thinking and bohemian in this new year....any thoughts? :):thanks:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2008

A couple of blogs are a must for me--Mamacita's and Family on Bikes (the mom, Nancy posted here quite a bit when they were planning their 2 year family bike trek). Other than that, and the sites you mentioned, I play some games, browse for new teaching ideas, read news articles from our local paper. Not very exciting--I guess I need to branch out more as well.

4. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Dec 31, 2008

I Stumble, if I am bored and want to broaden my horizons. Stumble allows you to choose your categories of interest, so I am always coming across interesting sites on the internet I might not otherwise find.

5. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Dec 31, 2008

6. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 31, 2008

Just tried stumble upon-very cool! I liked the bacon and sausage recipe. I have never seen anything like that in my entire life!

7. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Dec 31, 2008

I like to look up and read new poetry. I'm a Fiend for poetry. thinkgeek.com is pretty awesome. I like to play those hide and seek games. There's so many of them... so addicting. I freqently visit NASA's page. Hmm... i do some other quite boring things such as look at the weather and news. I am also working on my first novel. Almost finished; i'm so proud.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2008

Now that's exciting! Can we have more details?

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 31, 2008

This is the only site where I participate instead of just lurk. I go to a couple different baking sites and pet sites, but I really just lurk.

I am, however, considering volunteering with another site that I've reccomended to a few people here, called sidelines. It's a place that supports women in high risk pregnancies. They were a lifeline for me when I was pregnant, so I want to "give back" what they gave to me.

10. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 31, 2008

I signed up for Stumble. It has some neat things- like how to make a change purse or wallet from old cassette tapes! I am going to try that!

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 31, 2008

This is sad, I know, but I usually go on Webkinz or PerezHilton. I bought my niece a Webkinz for her birthday last year, and I used to play the games to help her win money. Now, I actually enjoy playing them. And Perez is my guilty pleasure. Other than that, I usually just go on here and on Facebook, so I'm not much help!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 31, 2008

AtoZ, All my Emails, Kongregate (new game site), and searching for a new cell phone (know too many websites for that one). When I need information for the aide workshops, I visit certain websites but mostly I just browse.

13. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 1, 2009

MetaFilter (the section where it asks all the questions you ever wanted to know) and cuteoverload. But I only post on this site.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2009

Oh, how could I forget the other tab that stays open half the time I'm anywhere near a computer.... icanhazcheezburger.com is my other favorite site. Cute cat pictures...you can't beat that.

15. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 1, 2009

I LOVE www.soyouwanna.com. It has thousands of reader friendly articles on stuff you "wanna do" and how to do it. In other words, it teaches you how to do all the things you didnt learn how to do in school (their words, not mine. lol)

The articles are written by experts in the field and the research team at SYW.com. There are a wide range of topics including -

1) SYW...write a business plan
    2) SYW...lose weight
    3)SYW...be an egg donor
    4) SYW...cure a hangover
    5) SYW...dress properly for your body type
    6) SYW...get a pet ferret

I am also absolutely in love with this website called www.etsy.com because I'm kinda artsy-fartsy and I love supporting small businesses.

It's like going to an open air market, only it's online. People make their own jewelry, artwork, clothing, candles, shoes (pretty much anything you can think of) and you can browse, buy and even comission the artists to make special pieces for you.

Most are reasonably priced and there's always something unique and different.

I ordered a messenger bag from one of the artists for $40, but she made it specifically for me (i told her what i wanted it to look like and say, as well as the color scheme and even the font to use on the letters)

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 1, 2009

I consider myself a pretty well-rounded person. When I was a child, my parents tried to expose me to things at a young age & I have grown to enjoy them in my adult life.

I'm a huge tennis fan & attend pro tennis matches (as a spectator). I used to play too & was even in a tournament at UCLA. I participate in a tennis discussion board.

A few yrs ago, when I was researching the breed of dog that I wanted, I started attending dog shows. It's interesting to see all the unique breeds up close & personal that you may never see in an everyday situation. I have a Boston Terrier, which is not too common & in my neck of the woods, it's very uncommon. I've lived here about 20 yrs & have seen about 4. I belong to a BT discussion board.

I attend the theatre, ice shows (as in figure skating), the ballet, musicals, travel when I can.

I collect crystal figurines. I like Baccarat, Waterford, & Swarovski. When I was a child, I used to collect porcelain dolls.

I don't really have any unique hobbies though.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 1, 2009

tn2, do you think there may be any mommies and babies groups that you can join in your area?

18. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Jan 1, 2009

Let's see. . .

Wikipedia--I wikipedia EVERYTHING. Seriously. I could be watching TV, come across a commercial for toilet paper, and look up toilet paper. Same for people. I could be watching any random show, think some guy is cute, and look him up to see how old he is, if he's married, etc. LOL.:D

I like to look at store's websites: Target, Walmart, Forever 21, etc. and see if I need. . .*ahem* I mean WANT to spend my money. Ha.;)

I like to browse articles on MSN.com, which leads to other links of other articles.

I frequent match.com in hopes of finding Mr. Right-for-Me :D

Ummmm, that's all I can think of at the moment. If I start browsing any other sites, I'll let ya know.;)

19. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 1, 2009

It's about a man who's obsessed with symmetry and perfection.

however, i wish not hijack someone's thread... so, that's all you gett. sorry.

20. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

I read and comment on some favorite blogs, part of a photography forum or two, researching about having a wedding in lake tahoe, do various research for topics I am thinking about teaching, goodreads.com, research various locations to travel to, shop for shoes, look for scrapbooking or book making ideas, DIY sites for decorating the house, and trying to learn how to moodle.

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 2, 2009

There was another thread about meeting people and I went to meetup.com as was suggested and found a couple of interesting local groups. I joined one of them (a mommy's group), so we'll see how that goes.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2009

Last year when I was planning our trip to Disney, I found www.disboards.com

The trip is now over. But there's a great marathon thread there of people who have survived Breast cancer. They've given me so much helpful info on little details. I check in there a lot, with an occasional post on some of the other threads. With all the help I got from those people, it's nice to be able to now help others.

If you're planning a trip to Disney, they're a remarkable resource. It was there that I learned about the AAA discount, about how to recognize the PIN code I received, about making reservations for dinner, about setting up a Photopass share with my sister and my friend and about a billion other things that made our trip special!! My sister and my friend, both of whom went to Disney last summer, were amazed at all the tips I kept coming up with to make our trips better or cheaper.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2009

How about some other classes? Adult ed programs are great and affordable...I'm sure you could find some sewing, art and yoga classes through such programs...I took up oil painting a few years ago (I had painted as a kid) and I find myself LOVING gong each week!! Also check into book clubs- your library or local book seller may know of some clubs you may be interested in joining... Get off the computer for a while- go walk, go to a coffee house and meet people, read a variety of books,newspapers, magazines...Visit museums...Have fun with this- I'm excited for you!:cool:

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 2, 2009

I need to keep up with this. some of the sites mentioned are really interesting.

25. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2009

Thanks ya'll!! I love stumbleupon.com! Let's keep this going! I love all these sights so far!