Where do you fit in? Political

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Irishdave, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2007

3. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 9, 2007

I'm a Social Conservative (Republican). After reading the description I felt that some of the ideas were way off from how I feel, but some were right on, so I don't know if I'd actually label myself that way. Pretty neat though!

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2007

That's what I thought too. but it did say "Even if neither statement is exactly right, choose the one that comes closer to your views," I had to settle on a lot of them.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2007

Mine was right on.

Liberal

Based on your answers to the questionnaire, you most closely resemble survey respondents within the Liberal typology group. This does not mean that you necessarily fit every group characteristic or agree with the group on all issues.

Liberals represent 17 percent of the American public, and 19 percent of registered voters.

Basic Description
    This group has nearly doubled in proportion since 1999, Liberals now comprise the largest share of Democrats and is the single largest of the nine Typology groups. They are the most opposed to an assertive foreign policy, the most secular, and take the most liberal views on social issues such as homosexuality, abortion, and censorship. They differ from other Democratic groups in that they are strongly pro-environment and pro-immigration, issues which are more controversial among Conservative and Disadvantaged Democrats.

Defining Values
    Strongest preference for diplomacy over use of military force. Pro-choice, supportive of gay marriage and strongly favor environmental protection. Low participation in religious activities. Most sympathetic of any group to immigrants as well as labor unions, and most opposed to the anti-terrorism Patriot Act.

Who They Are
    Most (62%) identify themselves as liberal. Predominantly white (83%), most highly educated group (49% have a college degree or more), and youngest group after Bystanders. Least religious group in typology: 43% report they seldom or never attend religious services; nearly a quarter (22%) are seculars. More than one-third never married (36%). Largest group residing in urban areas (42%) and in the western half the country (34%). Wealthiest Democratic group (41% earn at least $75,000).

Lifestyle Notes
    Largest group to have been born (or whose parents were born) outside of the U.S. or Canada (20%). Least likely to report having a gun at home (23%) or attending bible study or prayer group meetings (13%).

2004 Election
    Bush 2%, Kerry 81%

Party ID
    59% Democrat; 40% Independent/No Preference, 1% Republican (92% Dem/Lean Dem)

Media Use
    Liberals are second only to Enterprisers in following news about government and public affairs most of the time (60%). Liberals’ use of the internet to get news is the highest among all groups (37%).

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2007

Mine is sort of right. Here's what I got:
    Upbeat
    Based on your answers to the questionnaire, you most closely resemble survey respondents within the Upbeat typology group. This does not mean that you necessarily fit every group characteristic or agree with the group on all issues.

Upbeats represent 11 percent of the American public, and 13 percent of registered voters.

Basic Description
    Upbeats express positive views about the economy, government and society. Satisfied with their own financial situation and the direction the nation is heading, these voters support George W. Bush’s leadership in economic matters more than on social or foreign policy issues.WRONG! Combining highly favorable views of government with equally positive views of business and the marketplace, Upbeats believe that success is in people’s own hands, and that businesses make a positive contribution to society. This group also has a very favorable view of immigrants.

Defining Values
    Very favorable views of government performance and responsiveness defines the group, along with similarly positive outlook on the role of business in society. While most support the war in Iraq, Upbeats have mixed views on foreign policy – but most favor preemptive military action against countries that threaten the U.S. Religious, but decidedly moderate in views about social and cultural issues. ???

Who They Are
    Relatively young (26% are under 30) HAH! Fooled them there! and well-educated, Upbeats are the second wealthiest group after Enterprisers (39% have household incomes of $75,000 or more). The highest proportion of Catholics (30%) and white mainline Protestants (28%) of all groups, although fewer than half (46%) attend church weekly. Mostly white (87%), suburban, and married, they are evenly split between men and women.

Lifestyle Notes
    High rate of stock ownership (42%, 2nd after Enterprisers). Maybe one day...

2004 Election
    Bush 63%, Kerry 14%.

Party ID
    56% Independent/No Preference, 39% Republican, 5% Democrat (73% Rep/LeanRep)

Media Use
    Upbeats are second only to Liberals in citing the internet as their main news source (34% compared with 23% nationwide); 46% also cite newspapers. No more or less engaged in politics than the national average.

Note: All descriptions and percentages are based on the national sample of adults surveyed by telephone in December. Based on your answers to the survey questions, you most closely resemble survey respondents within this group, even though you may differ significantly on one or more issues or traits.

In the overall typology there is a ninth group called “Bystanders” who are defined as adults who are not registered, who do not follow news about government and public affairs, and who say they rarely or never vote.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 9, 2007

Mine was liberal, too. It was accurate.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2007

Some areas of mine were right, but it definitely went wrong in a number of areas! I mean, I'm registered as independent, by George, that should mean something! LOL

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2007

Conservative Democrat
    Based on your answers to the questionnaire, you most closely resemble survey respondents within the Conservative Democrat typology group. This does not mean that you necessarily fit every group characteristic or agree with the group on all issues.
    Conservative Democrats represent 14 percent of the American public, and 15 percent of registered voters.
    Basic Description
    Conservative Democrats’ religious orientation and conservative views on many social and political issues set this group apart from the other Democratic-leaning groups, Liberals and Disadvantaged Democrats. Conservative Democrats’ views are moderate with respect to key policy issues such as foreign policy, regulation of the environment and the role of government in providing a social safety net. Their neutrality on assistance to the poor is linked, at least in part, to their belief in personal responsibility. Right On
    Defining Values
    Less extreme on moral beliefs than core Republican groups, but most oppose gay marriage Right On and the acceptance of homosexuality I acceptance them, I have gay friends , and support a more active role for government in protecting morality. No more conservative than the national average on other social issues such as abortion and stem-cell research. Most oppose the war in Iraq, but views of America’s overall foreign policy are mixed and they are less opposed to Bush’s assertive stance WRONG!. than are other Democratic groups.
    Who They Are
    Older women and blacks make up a sizeable proportion of this group (27% and 30%, respectively) WRONG!. Somewhat less educated and poorer than the nation overall WRONG!. Allegiance to the Democratic Party is quite strong (51% describe themselves as “strong” Democrats) but fully 85% describe themselves as either conservative or moderate ideologically. Right On
    Lifestyle Notes
    46% attend church at least once a week, Right On 44% attend Bible study or prayer group meetings, a third (34%) have a gun in their house. Right On
    2004 Election
    Bush 14%, Kerry 65%.
    Party ID
    89% Democrat, 11% Independent/No Preference, 0% Republican,(98% Dem/Lean Dem)
    Media Use
    Emphasis on traditional providers as main news sources: newspapers (50%) and network TV news (42%).

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2007

Isn't it funny? It's kind of like reading your horoscope. Generally, at least one portion of it will ring true for you!

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2007

Political horoscope or Political numerology?????

OMG

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2007

ROFL!

13. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 10, 2007

They categorized me as "Enterpriser".

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2007

Social conservative...

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

I think mine came out the worst! I'm
    Disaffected

Disaffecteds represent 9 percent of the American public, and 10 percent of registered voters.

Basic Description
    Disaffecteds are deeply cynical about government and unsatisfied with both their own economic situation and the overall state of the nation. Under heavy financial pressure personally NOT. I don't even have student loans to pay, and no credit card debt. only loan i have is a car loan. , this group is deeply concerned about immigration and environmental policies, particularly to the extent that they affect jobs I AGREE. Alienated from politics, Disaffecteds have little interest in keeping up with news about politics and government, and few participated in the last election. I voted

Defining Values
    Despite personal financial strain – and belief that success is mostly beyond a person’s control – Disaffecteds are the only moderate supporters of government welfare and assistance to the poor. Strongly oppose immigration as well as regulatory and environmental policies on the grounds that government is ineffective and such measures cost jobs.

Who They Are
    Less educated (70% have attended no college, compared with 49% nationwide) and predominantly male (57%). While a majority (60%) leans Republican, three-in-ten are strict independents, triple the national rate. Disaffecteds live in all parts of the country, though somewhat more are from rural and suburban areas than urban.

Lifestyle Notes
    Somewhat higher percentage report having a gun in the home than the national average, and 42% report someone in their house has been unemployed in the past year.

2004 Election
    Bush 42%, Kerry 21%. Nearly a quarter (23%) said they didn’t vote in the last election.

Party ID
    68% Independent/No Preference, 30% Republican, 2% Democrat I (60% Rep/LeanRep)

Media Use
    Disaffecteds have little interest in current events and pay little attention to the news. No single medium or network stands out as a main source.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2007

Enterpriser

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2007

Social consevative

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2007

Nope, folks.

I don't do politics or relgion with friends. We tend to stay that way longer.

19. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

liberal

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2007

Social Conservative

21. mincc

mincc Companion

Jul 10, 2007

Well, Jaime, we can be "disaffected" together!:confused:

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

I think it is kind of funny.

My mom took the little thing too. Says she is disaffected. Which she is not. She is always yelling at the tv and the newspaper.

23. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2007

How did I guess:p

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 10, 2007

Mine didn't come out all that great, and I don't prefer to go into religion or politics discussions, either (though I have strong faith and morals).

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2007

Well, I should have figured I'd come out the same as you!!!!!!!! LOL:p :cool:

26. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 10, 2007

Social Conservative for me too

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

I think I was the most Conservative (to the right)
    We as teachers fall mostly to the left

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2007

Alright.....I just took it again, and now I came out Enterpriser. LOL That may be more accurate, but I'm not sure.:rolleyes: :p