where do you buy your clothes????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SweetHomeAlabam, Aug 1, 2009.

1. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Aug 1, 2009

Attire is a BIG deal at my second placement since it is my Universities laboratory school. I am probably overanalyzing this but....I want to make a good impression.

I will be in the 2nd grade and alot of my lessons I have done in the past are very very hands on, in the floor, hallway or even outside. I want to make sure that I can wear something professional, but yet not a dress or something uncomfortable. Give me your ideas!
    I have looked online at Belk.com but just not getting any good ideas.

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 1, 2009

My fav place to buy clothes ( for work and for play) is Kohls.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

Cato's, Stage, Penney's

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 1, 2009

I love Anthropologie. Pricey if you buy without a sale, but GREAT quality and it looks very classy even though it's comfortable and you can move in it. If you get stuff on clearance, it's really not that bad. I got a ton of stuff from there this fall for $30. I'm also trying to shop consignment shops and garage sales more. But the second I have money again, I'll be back at Anthropologie and the local boutiques. I like unique.

6. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Aug 1, 2009

I love Ann Taylor Loft and White House Black Market.

7. luv2teachK

luv2teachK Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

My favorite pants are from New York and Company. Affordable and very comfortable!

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

Eddie Bauer, Ross.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

I like New York and Company also. They always have really good sale racks with clothes around $7. Most of my clothes are probably from there. I also like JCPenneys, Express (sometimes), and I've been buying a ton of dresses from White House Black Market lately. I'm cheap so I always watch for the sales!

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2009

I shop at a variety of places- Ross Dress for Less, JCPenney, Kohls, Bealls Outlet (Florida store), Burlington Coat Factory (doesn't just sell coats, as the name kind of implies), Ann Taylor Loft, Casual Corner, and Marshalls. In stores like Ross, I find good brands like Jones New York.

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

The Kohl's sale racks know me by name.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2009

New York & Co
    Banana Republic
    White House Black Market
    Ann Taylor
    Anthropologie
    The Limited
    Nordstrom
    Macy's
    Bloomingdale's

Then, you can find certain work appropriate attire from:

Express
    Bebe
    Arden B

13. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

Mainly Ann Taylor Loft with some Gap, Jcrew and Banana Republic thrown in. I have found its worth the extra money to pay more because the quality is better and the clothes last me longer - Im wearing Jcrew pieces from 4 years ago and they still look like brand new. With coupons or sales, the prices are pretty good, and Loft and Jcrew give discounts with a teacher id in my area.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

Kohls, JC Penney, sometimes Sears.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

i buy staples at GAP (i would go Banana Republic, but they don't have clothes big enough to fit me there!) I also sometimes get staples at Ann Taylor Loft or Liz Claiborne Outlet (we have a seriously nice outlet store near me.) For suits or dresses, I go to Dress Barn some. For fun stuff, shoes, and purses, I go to Ross.

16. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

I am so excited- next weekend is our tax free weekend & they gave us 15% off coupons we can use then. Whoo-hoo, guess who will be at Kohls next weekend!

17. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

My favorite place for clothes is the Victoria's Secret catalog. Since I've become a mom, they are the only pants that fit me all around. I also like that their pants have such a variety of fits, and a really good description on how each is designed to fit. My favorite for school is the Marissa fit. Their clothes are great quality, and last forever. Moderately priced, although you can get things really cheap on clearance.

I don't wear skirts or dresses to school either, unless of course it is for open house or conferences. Half of my teaching time is spent on the floor with the kiddos :)

18. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

Lately my favorite place to buy clothes is TJ Maxx. I got a nice bag and two shirt there just yesterday. :)

19. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

I shop everywhere and anywhere, selecting pieces that are usually solid color so I can mix and match various tops and bottoms. Luckily, my school is casual dress. If anyone walked in dressed up, it would most definitely be a conference day. We can wear jeans any day of the week but most of us don't. This works for me because I am very uncomfortable in dressy clothes.

20. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I always thought white house black market was pricey-I'll have to check in again

21. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Me too! And Victoria's Secret Catalog is another fav.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

We have an outlet here. I've never been because I didn't think the clothes would work for me, but now I want to try it!

23. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

I saw some nice pant suits at Ross last week that I want to go back to check on. The prices were great.

24. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I love Gap, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor LOFT, Old Navy, NY and Co, JCrew, and Anthropologie. I also love outlets- if you have good outlets by you that's the way to go.

25. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 2, 2009

Coldwater Creek, Christopher and Banks. I love it when they have clearance sales! The clothes seem to last even after all the crawling around that I do (I teach K)!

26. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Old Navy, Target, Gap, Eddie Bauer, TJ Maxx.

27. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I shop at Kohls, JC Penney, and Macy's mostly. I will also hit the discount stores like Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Steinmart.

We have a HUGE outlet mall about 45 minutes away and I usually go to brand name stores looking for good deals. This week I got a cute black jacket at Banana Republic for $18, originally $70.

28. lareed

lareed Companion

Aug 2, 2009

tj maxx just brought out a whole load of cute things (especially tops). i bought 6 shirts yesterday!

i also do a lot of thrift store and garage sale shopping

29. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2009

Definitely great. I still have some from the beginning of my teaching career, five years ago, that look brand new. The quality of some of the clothes are great, and the clothing also has not faded.

30. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Coldwatercreek and JJill. they are more expensive but like alilisa said they last forever. Eddie Bauer too. I have some clothes from them that are at least 10 years old. They are classic styles that don't go out of style.

31. spunky7777

spunky7777 New Member

Aug 2, 2009

Shop

I like Ross, TJ Maxx, and Marshalls. Good quality clothes...CHEAP!!

32. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Heya!

I'm a plus-sized gal and find great deals at JC Penney, Old Navy, Target, Ross Dress For Less, and Marshalls! I even bought some really cute capris and sundresses at Wal-Mart earlier this summer! I try to be all about bargains for clothes!

My school requires us to wear pantyhose and I usually order those from a catalogue as stockings are much cheaper in bulk ~ and I run them a lot!!! :)

We are only allowed to wear close-toed shoes (no sandals, slingbacks, mules, etc.) and since I am on my feet practically all day I never skimp on shoes! Clarks has some beautifully made "dressy" work shoes that I adore!! :) Heels or flats, whatever your preference!! Zappos.com has amazing shoe selection and, last time I checked, had FREE shipping so no worries if the size doesn't fit properly!!

Hope this helps! :)

PS. My school is big on "suits" and recommends we wear suits for parent orientation, back-to-school night, grade 8 graduation, etc etc... does anyone know where a plus sized gal can get a not super expensive suit for these such occassions? Thanks in advance!! :love:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  33. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

Ross had nice suits in plus size. Is there a Catherine's, Lane Bryant, or Cato's in your area? They all carry plus size and have some nice suits.

34. caslan

caslan Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I live in a rural area and we don't have much for selection here, so, locally, Maurices is my only real option. We also have a Cato, but I RARELY find anything there that fits correctly. I usually shop Tanger Outlet and the Branson Landing b/c I live about 1 hour and 15 minutes away... so I make a day of it! My favorite stores there are Charlotte Russe, Rue 21, DEB, and I usually stop off at Target and Shoe Carnival as well as TJ Maxx when I am in Branson. If I can stomach the traffic on the strip, I usually swing by Tanger which is outlet stores, but I really have to have some time to find good deals there! I'm jealous of those of us who have lots of good stores really close! (Though I have probably saved a LARGE amount of money b/c I have to drive to do any real shopping :)

35. ajquiett

ajquiett Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I love Old Navy and Gap. Comfortable, cheap, and fits great!

36. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 2, 2009

If money was no option: Express

Since money is an option: Kohls

I am like you, I like to look nice even though I'm on the floor w/ the kids. :)

37. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

caslan~My girls love rue21. I want to check out Maurices the next time we go to the area where they just built one.

38. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

I just check Maurices clothing online--I love it and we have one at our Outlet Mall--I'm going straight there tomorrow after work.

39. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Aug 2, 2009

My absolute favorite is Maurices.

I also love Charlotte Russe, and wherever else I can find sales :)

40. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 2, 2009

Silhouettes and Serengeti, both on-line. I haven't actually bought clothes in a brick and mortar store in years.

41. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

I just checked out Silhouettes, have you bought any shoes there? I found a cute pair, I'm wondering if they run true to size.