Where do you buy your books for your library?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissJill, Aug 6, 2009.

1. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

I have a very small amount of books for my classroom library and I would like to add to it for my new classroom. Where did you buy your books and not go broke?
    Thanks so much for the info!

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

Miss Jill, there are a ton posted on my site for about $2 each.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2009

Friends of the Library sales, garage sales, used book stores, new and used books on Amazon, donations from parents...

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 6, 2009

Scholastic has summer sales...you can usually get 100 books for 100 dollars.

Oh and don't forget SPROUT!!!!! I got some amazing deals on used books in great condition. It's cheap and it's green! (there you go Jem ;) ) I was not paid to make this endorsement!

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

Garage sales!! You'd be amazed what people will just "give" you once they find out you are a teacher!

Also, let your new students know -- you'll be surprised how many parents will send in gently used books for you to keep.

I know it is hard to believe now, but soon you will have more books that your book shelves can hold!!!! They sneak-up on you.

7. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Aug 6, 2009

Yard sales is what I have been doing. When I get some money I want to get some from Jem too. I look at her site all the time and she does have some awesome deals.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2009

Thrift stores, Scholastic/Troll/etc.

I have preschoolers so the thrift store finds are great. If they happen to tear, rip or eat them, not much money is lost.

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 6, 2009

Ummm... ebay.

(announcement coming soon)

10. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!
    Jem, the site is great!

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 7, 2009

If you have a Half-Priced book store, I would check that out as well. Great deals!

12. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

Amazon, yard sales, antique malls (people usually have booths set up, but everything's not an "antique"). I got a giant box of books at a local antique mall (Junie B. Jones, Arthur, Little Critter, Clifford, etc.) for $100.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2009

Library sales- the selection changes all the time at my library so it's worth a weekly check.
    Book sales at school- the PTO sponsors 2 of these per year at my school and teachers make 'wish lists'...many families will buy me books from my list- I often have to add more titles to the list as families are very generous and my list gets depleted!!
    I go to Barnes and Noble online with my gift cards from students- I just HATE paying shipping and handling though for books. Even if you find a good deal on a book the S&H almost makes it not worth it sometimes. I also love the part on Amazon where they list 'Buyers who purchased this book also bought..." I get good book ideas there.

14. fawyndra

fawyndra Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

Just wanted to add my 2cp here... you don't have to buy all of your class library books. I take a trip to the public library once a month, I check out about 25-30 books, and put them in my library for the month, and then switch them out for new books at the end of the month. The kids love having new stuff, and it doesn't cost a cent.

I have only had 1 problem with missing books in the 3 years I have done this, and that was not because the kids took it or destroyed it, but because some books fell behind the bookshelf, and no one noticed. So... 1 late fine is still cheaper than all of the book places.

When I do buy books (which I can't now, my library is busting at the seams) I go through ebay, scholastic's cheap books, and yard sales/library sales. :)

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 7, 2009

fawydra is quite right -- you don't have to have a lot of books. If the public library isn't an option, you'll find most school librarians are very sympathetic to first year teachers. Our limit is 35 books from the school library, but we allow 1st year teachers to check out double that amount so they will have enough books in their room.

Also, once you get to your new school, put out a school-wide email that you are looking for whatever-grade level books. You'd be surprised how many teachers have more books than they can use, or who have changed grade levels and now have book they don't use anymore, or who inherited an entire library from a retiring teacher, and are willing to share.

16. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

I agree with all of the above! Also, the libraries in my area have regular used book sales, and when I tell them I'm a teacher, they always discount stuff. In fact, if I go in at the tail end of a sale, they will tell me to just take what I want so they don't have to pack it up!
    Once school starts, join those book clubs! It takes a little longer, but you know the more your students buy, the more you get for your room and they're absolutely free! In my past schools, when we held a book fair, teachers also gave the fair coordinator a "wish list" of items and parents bought them for us with a special tag on the inside telling which student had gotten it. We did this right before Christmas, so we got books that we needed instead of yet another apple ornament! :)