Where do you buy dress pants?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JoanPD, Sep 19, 2017.

1. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Sep 19, 2017

I've spent the past several days trying to find some dress pants to replace some of the ones that no longer fit me, and I've had no luck.

If I find one that does fit, I squat down, and can immediately see the outline to my unmentionables. I've tried different brands, different styles and different sizes. The only ones that don't seem to do this are the ones that are to big in the bag to look unprofessional. Definitely could use some advice.

Thank you.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2017

Loft has pants in different cuts.

bella84 likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2017

I guess I don't get the part about squatting down. Really all of the pants I can think about will get tighter if I squat down. I spend most of my day standing or sitting, not squatting.

I find it difficult to find dress pants because my waist and hips are the same size. Pants that fit in the waist are too big in the hips. Pants that fit my hips don't button. For awhile I bought Pixie Pants at Old Navy, but their quality was lacking and sizing was inconsistent. This year I discovered Liz Claiborne pull on pants from Penney's. Stretchy waist, but not the old-lady gathered elastic.

I prefer dresses, but I've worn more pants this year.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2017

Talbots has several different fits, and the quality is good.

Maryhf likes this.
  6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 20, 2017

Christopher and Banks has several styles.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2017

I love Christopher and Banks. Surprisingly, many Lee pants fit me well, as do many of the Chico's. The best friend a woman can have, though, is a good seamstress. Alterations will make them look like they were "made for you."

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 20, 2017

Walmart. Call me cheap.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2017

You will always have the problems with panty lines on form fitting pants unless they are heavily weighted fabrics and/or lined. One option is to change the undergarment to more like spanks where there is no panty line but the line goes around the leg. Then depending on the fit of the leg, that becomes the issue.

Commando? Just kidding.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 20, 2017

Dress Barn. I love their pants!

LittleShakespeare and czacza like this.
  11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 20, 2017

Yes, Dress Barn is good. They always seem to have a sale and if you sign up for their coupons you will always get a good price.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2017

I seem to find nice slacks at JCPenney and New York & Co. and at good prices.

LittleShakespeare likes this.
  13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 20, 2017

Dillard's

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 20, 2017

I LIVE for Macy's petite pants (I'm 5'1") because I can buy them off the rack and even online. My special favorite is their line of Charter Club Cambridge Pants. They're extremely stretchy and comfy.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2017

Bought three pair at pants event last week!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2017

You can buy good name brands at good prices without shopping at Walmart.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2017

Thongs.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 21, 2017

They sell seamless underwear. I know I have gotten some at Victoria's Secret.

19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 21, 2017

I know. I find nice tops at Belks but pants I have problems finding something to fit me right. :D

20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2017

Since I just started student teaching, I bought some nice pants at New York and Company. They fit well and are affordable! I also ordered some pants at The Loft this weekend! They have a 40% off sale so now is a good time!

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2017

This is my opinion and only my opinion so please dont anyone take offense. Thongs are disgusting. We have a not so young teacher who wears them. I hate seeing her butt flap in the wind. Don't get me wrong she isn't overweight or anything in fact she is in great shape. I just think thongs have a time and a place and school is not one of them. But she has a right to wear them so there you go. Just my opinion.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 29, 2017

How closely are you looking at this woman that you can see what underwear she is or is not wearing? I think this might be more of your problem than her problem. I'm usually only vaguely aware of what clothes my coworkers are wearing, much less their underwear.

dgpiaffeteach, czacza and bella84 like this.
  23. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 29, 2017

Remember the "Underalls" back in the 70's or so... no panty line undies. Do they still make those?

Thongs... I don't think I could deal with butt floss. :D Makes me think of the Minion at the pool.

24. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2017

Ok remember it is just my opinion and really there was no need for these comments. And I didn't notice it first someone else pointed it out. Now I am totally aware of it.

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 29, 2017

Back to discussing (non-under) wear, I'm currently wearing incredibly comfortable dress pants I picked up at Talbot's Petite. I have full range of movement at the knees, including when I had to momentarily crawl on the floor to pick up something.

Maryhf and txmomteacher2 like this.
  26. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 29, 2017

I'm not trying to argue your opinion... I just have a genuine question. Does that lack of regular panties really allow someone's butt to flap? Do regular panties - not thongs - really hold butts in? If so, I was unaware.

czacza likes this.
  27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2017

Butt flap in the wind?

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2017

No, they don't hold your butt in, but the extra layer of fabric allows movement to be different. If people are prone to jiggly butt, they do need the right undies. I have different styles, fabrics, and colors of underwear for different styles and colors of pants.

Having the right underwear for your pants is very important for the fit. It's like wearing the right bra for your shirts, the right slip for skirts and dresses, and the right sock for the shoe type. Even expensive clothes look like they don't fit without the right foundation.

29. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 30, 2017

Interesting... I, too, have different styles and colors to prevent them from showing through or having the lines visible, but I've never felt that need to have different styles for differing types of support. I also haven't worn a slip since I was a child, but I don't really wear skirts or dresses all that often, either. When I do, they're fairly casual.

czacza likes this.
  30. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Oct 1, 2017

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2017

Me too! I pretty much only wear thongs. I don't wear slips. I don't wear panty hose either.
    Foundation garments are a personal VERY personal choice.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2017

Your colleagues are pointing out someone else's underwear choices/butt? This is body shaming and not ok.

MissCeliaB likes this.
  33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2017

True. It is a personal choice. However, the original questions lends itself to the answer that it might be the foundation, not the pants themselves. What people wear under their clothes can make a huge difference in how their clothes fit. Getting the best fit in clothes requires a knowledge of fit of the outer garment, the best undergarments to enhance the fit, and the knowledge of your own body type.

teacherintexas likes this.
  34. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 1, 2017

Very true. One of my best friends is a teeny, tiny woman and her bum is rather jiggly. When we go shopping with each other, we made a pact to be honest. She told me about my bra bulge in a top and I told her that her butt looked jiggly in one pair of pants. Our next stop was the lingerie section of the store.

35. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2017

I was not body shaming in fact if you read my post you will see where I said she is in good shape. In fact really she is in fantastic shape. Just I think she needs to wear different underwear. More her age underwear. If we taught at a different level I could see some things happening. But we teach kindergarten.

36. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 2, 2017

What things would be happening if she taught a different age? Do you think her choice of underwear impacts her job performance? Why would that be different if she taught a different age? Or if she was a different age? I wasn't aware that underwear has an age. Some women have different preferences for underwear. Some women *scandal* don't even wear any, and manage to perform their jobs just fine every day. Body shaming is more than calling someone fat. It's saying that a person's body is in some way inappropriate, which you seem to be doing. People have butts. People have boobs. They don't always have to be sexual. Sometimes they can just have bodies.

bella84 and czacza like this.
  37. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2017

I didn't say she couldn't perform her job. What I said was I thought her choice of underwear is inappropriate. This is just MY opinion and there is really no reason for everyone to get upset. I have a right to my opinion and you do to. I know everyone has butts and boobs and I was in no way sexualizing her body. But if we taught at a different level I think it might happen whether or not she wanted it too. Hormones in kids are a totally different thing. So that being said I am out this thread,.

38. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 2, 2017

Many men (although most would never admit it) are aware of how their butt looks in pants, too! No one wants to have a flat/saggy looking bottom! I know I don't! :D

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2017

You mentioned butt flapping and jiggliness. That's body shaming. It's inappropriate discussion amongst colleagues. And it could be construed as sexual and intimidating by the teacher in question if she heard her foundation garments were the fodder of faculty room gossip.

40. autumnbrooks

autumnbrooks Rookie

Oct 2, 2017

I'm going to second a lot of opinions on here and say that I like The Loft, too. They have great dress slacks for winter that are thicker and cozier than the cheaper options (and help eliminate the underwear problem too)

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  41. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Oct 4, 2017

C.J. Banks. I am petite and have never considered if my "lines" show because I always wear a longish shirt. I do have several pairs from Dress Barn also that are fine.

I despise Talbots pants as I sometimes can't work that side zipper. I also like to have pockets for my cell. I think these do tend to hold up better though. I have a ton because my cousin who is my size got a tummy tuck! I now have plaid, yellow, moss, and even a few "winter' white pairs of pants. I usually stick to khaki, black, brown, and gray, so I'm not sure I can pull off these other colors.