Where do you buy books?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Just_Beginning2, May 20, 2009.

1. Just_Beginning2

Just_Beginning2 Rookie

May 20, 2009

This was my first full year and am happy to say I collected quite a few books through scholastic bonus points and bookfairs but have very few tag sales and warehouses around where I live to look for cheap books, especially in bulk. Where do you get your books? I'm looking for things like chapter books in a series or multiple books by the same author... any tips?

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 20, 2009

Our local library has a book store and they have lots of great books at very affordable prices...25 cents, 50 cents, $1...rarely do I find anything over $1!!! They also have VHS tapes, etc...

I also visit thrift stores, flea markets and garage sales...talk about great prices!

Wouldn't it be cool to have a Teacher Tradeoff?? Teacher's can come with their extras or discarded books and trade with other coworkers.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 20, 2009

The Booksource http://www.booksource.com/search.aspx is wonderful for ordering sets especially if you're seeking a specific genre'. They also give 25% discounts and if you catch it right, they'll ship free too.

5. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

May 20, 2009

I have had luck with Half Price Books. They usually have several of the same book, or the series, etc. I've noticed that in a lot of the books that I have gotten from them come from teachers.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Sprout, Goodwill and Garage sales.

7. janney

janney Cohort

May 20, 2009

I've also gotten boxes of book donations from Half Price Books. They donate to teachers. I got a mix of books in the boxes. I was able to keep the ones that were good for kinder and gave the chapter books to another teacher in the school. It was a great way to build my library.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 20, 2009

I didn't know Half Price donated books!! And here I've been buying from them all these years... ;)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 20, 2009

My local library accepts donations of used books and sells them cheaply (25 cents for picture books...) Garage sales, scholastic bonus points... We also have book sales at school where teachers fill out 'wish lists' and families can purchase books from those lists for the teachers' classrooms. I have ordered books from Barnes and Noble online, Amazon, and the like, but sometimes books which seem like a good price from an online seller become EXPENSIVE when you factor in the shipping and handling charges...:(

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

The Scholastic books I buy at the local resale shop are practically brand new, and I pay only 33 cents each for them. There are always at least a dozen new ones in stock every couple of weeks. Love it!

11. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 21, 2009

I am also a big fan of garage sales, and thrift stores. I often find brand new books for .25. I also buy my own personal reading material there. I just bought a bunch of current best sellers-paperbacks were .50 and hardbacks were $1.00. The hardbacks had price stickers of $19.95 on them. My class library is filled with those types of bargains. It kills me to pay full price for any books now.

12. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

May 22, 2009

Half Price Books and Paperbackswap.com! I use the latter for the more expensive novels that I use for read alouds and literature circles, and it helps me get rid of all my old hardcover books from high school/college.

13. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 22, 2009

local library, garage sale, sprout, parents,

14. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

May 23, 2009

Yard sales are great. I sometimes buy book lots off of ebay. I am also lucky enough to have a Book Warehouse store that just moved into my town where all the books are 80% off. It's fantastic.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2009

I was able to collect around 2000 books when I moved up to fifth grade! All FREE!

I put up a memo in the lounge towards the end of the year, when I was still in kinder, asking teachers if they had any upper grade books that they didn't need anymore. I waited until the last few weeks when I knew everyone was going through their stuff, cleaning up. Upper grade kids kept coming to my class with boxes and boxes of stuff!!! Boy was I happy. But now, I have over 2000 books sitting in my garage. Tsk tsk...

Just leave a nice note in the lounge asking for donations, I'm sure you'll get more than you think. :)

16. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 23, 2009

My district organizes a "retired teacher garage sale" every summer. One stop shopping. It's great!

I also get great finds at random garage sales in and around my neighborhood. Can't beat 5 cent books! (Okay, free is better.)

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 23, 2009

I just signed up and entered 3 books!!! Yay! I'm gonna have fun with this site! :)
    You trade books with this site...no exchange of money whatsoever. And you do the shipping out.
    Thanks for the tip!

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 23, 2009

I started out going to thrift stores. None of the books were over $0.25.

19. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

May 23, 2009

I just love Paperbackswap.com!! I have gotten several books for free that normally would have cost me over $20.

20. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 23, 2009

Yard sales are a great place to find books, too. That's where the bulk of my library came from. I also picked some up through eBay.

21. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

May 24, 2009

I see Amanda is building a "For Sale or Trade" (FSOT) addition to this site. What a great idea! We could trade books here - I know I'll participate.

22. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 24, 2009

Me too... I love half price books!