Where do you advertise to find more students to tutor?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 23, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 23, 2011

I'm on a few websites but since I work as a Private Tutor, I need to think of good places to leave my business cards. I can't at the library at least on the bulletin boards. I was thinking of just standing outside and handing some cards out to those with kids but not sure if that'll be okay with the library. I do see political things outside every now and then. I was also wanting to at schools but when I called a few schools they hesitated but sounded like they could put some out for me. I just want to see results of putting my cards places where students go so I can get more business!

(I was so happy to work with a new student yesterday. The hour flew by so we worked for 1 1/2 hr. I was so happy to help her with a concept she had been guessing on all along which I had a hunch about but waited for her to tell me that! I taught her how to compare fractions without guessing and she got it! It's so nice to work with happy kids who are especially at risk of grade retention like I'm doing.)

So any ideas of other places to advertise? I love my new business cards that I just ordered from Vista Print!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 23, 2011

Leave cards lying around all over. I have a work @ home business that I advertise for. You can leave stacks in eateries, other businesses, go to hotel lobbies, etc. Do you know if you're allowed to leave cards in your teacher lounge at work?

What I advertise for, I don't need to give my name or ANY other personal info, so I feel free to leave them more places. I even have a 1-800 #, which you can get so all these strangers don't have your home or cell #.

Here's something I found on a site regarding marketing one's business :

- Run newspaper ads (consistently and even weekly if possible)
    - Post ads online (Craigslist, classifieds, advertising sites, forums allowing you to advertise )
    - Hang up fliers on bulletin boards (if aloud) (grocery stores, laundry rooms, fast food, bingo game halls, near mailboxes or by apartment boxes, activity centers, etc.)
    - Hold a work at home or home business meeting ( your home, community center)
    - Hold a party for your products or business opportunity (be honest with the invites)
    - Cold market mailings or calling opt in lists (but 95% do not like to do this and that's ok)
    - Online advertising (google AdSense, paid ads on sites with lots of traffic (could be pricey)
    Tell friends family what your up to, but don't bug them or try to sell them anything.
    - Give samples of your product ( with a reorder label- - -- Put business ad in local play programs, athletic sport programs, weekly church bulletins/program guides, or high school year books
    - Throw a neighborhood open house or at a center with other consultants of non-competing businesses. (The more vendors you get, the more they will spread the word, and more traffic you will get to your event)
    - Set up a table at a home show, baby expo, business/employment expo, etc. (Tons of traffic, remember to give out your business info as well as product info/samples. You could have a raffle drawing or contests too.)
    - Make a new moms info bag or folder and see if hospitals will give you permission for them to hand out to new moms. They might let you bring them in weekly.
    - Place your business info on back of grocery store receipts
    - Bus stops also have business ads on their waiting seats, call up to see how much
    - If you have a website, print your URL and info on mouse pads and them give them out
    - Donate your products to charity or donate to popular websites that give out prizes.
    - When sending out your mail, put your business somewhere on the envelope. A stamp or label with your site or bus. info. Have a business card inside.
    - Offer a referral reward to those that refer others to shop with you, make referral cards
    - Make re-order labels and make sure to place them on your products if you can
    - Ask your ice cream man if he will pass out flyers for you
    - If aloud, put a yard sign in your front yard or back yard fence if facing a road
    - Join your child's PTA, they are always looking for fundraisers, or get to know other parents
    - Join your local chamber of commerce
    - Make bags of candy with your info/samples & give to kids on Halloween or to the parents
    Look for upcoming local events/concerts and advertise in their ads or becoming a sponsor
    - Place your ads in home buyer guides or renter guides, and also local directories
    - Moving companies & also apartment complexes usually give out welcome packs or folders, find out how to include your business
    - Make calenders, pens, pencils, post its, etc. with your info and give out to local offices, doctors and dentists offices.
    - Make bookmarks or book covers and then give them to colleges, libraries, tech schools, etc.
    - Give some of these freebies out with your product orders
    - Make coloring sheets for children with your advertising info on bottom. Give to restaurants or childcare places. - Can wrap a crayon or 2 in with them. Parents like to hang kids are up
    - Business info on matchbooks and then give them to smoke shops, bars, candle shops, etc.
    Print your business logo/site on your bank checks and labels to match. Will pass through many people
    - Write a business press release . You can submit to your area newspaper, television station, radio, and online.
    - Offer fundraiser options to groups like girl/boy scouts, YMCA, red hat society, new moms, neighborhood watch, bunco groups, etc.
    - Attend new neighborhood meetings, have one of your own, get to know others
    - Local radio stations offer low-cost area ads. Am channels are usually the most inexpensive.
    - If you see tables set up for fundraisers, leave them your fundraiser info for next time.
    - Contact your fire department dpt. & ask to leave your info or set up a table at their next event
    - Make filler bags, include other consultants info and have them make bags too. Pass out or run ad for free giveaways to those looking for business opportunity info or new products.
    - Most public libraries have a place you can leave catalogues or business cards/fliers
    - Leave folders with your info at employment agencies, ask if they will refer some people to you, offer them samples or something
    - Ask permission to leave fliers on cars at shopping centers or grocery store lots
    - Teach a class on a skill that you are good at or maybe on marketing or something that has to do with your business like a cooking class, make-up class, pampering, scrap booking.
    - Donate old magazine to libraries or hospitals or senior centers, include your label donated by with your business info

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2011

I work 12 hours per week tutoring after school. All of my tutoring has come from word of mouth, good referrals. I like that the people who call me know someone I already work with...tutoring in a family's home is a bit of a personal, intimate kind of situation.... I don't want to open myself up to 'chance' by leaving my cards randomly scattered about for 'just anyone' to call me. Instead, I give cards to the families I work for....If you get one or two clients thru your school guidance office or general 'word of mouth', your business will pick up as you develop a good reputation for helping kids.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2011

I've sent an intro letter, along with business cards from vistaprint, to the math chairmen and directors of guidance of all the local high schools.

That's all it ever took to get me more students than I could handle.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2011

We don't have information about tutors posted anywhere in the school, but the secretaries do have a list of names and contact information that they can give to parents who ask.

7. Gracejulian

Gracejulian New Member

Sep 4, 2016

I know this is old thread.. still question is valid and asked by many tutors today.. Make yourself visible closer to your home. Old marketing techniques like business cards, flyers will not bring much students as people tend to misplace and forget about it.. Most parents now a days search available tutors from internet or get referral from friends and family. Only few website like www.KidoServ.com allow tutors to list their tutoring skills online for free and communicate with parents for Free. No commission or cost involved.. It is just free platform for tutors and parents to connect each other.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2016

Is this a website with which you are associated, Gracejulian? You've resurrected two old threads to mention it.

9. Delon

Delon New Member

Feb 21, 2017

Hi all, I would like to recommend another online platform called Tutors Field Australia. It is also a free platform where tutors can create a tutor profile. I know a few tutors who are using it and they also recommend this platform.

10. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2017

Try care.com

11. jacob321

jacob321 New Member

Jul 18, 2020

There are many Websites that Provides Students and charge commission on every lesson like Italki Preply. Or You Can Run Ads On Facebook To take Students.

12. MellowMoon

MellowMoon Rookie

Jul 22, 2020

Well, for me it always depends on the client. If parents of the child are satisfied with the results they will recommend me to their friends