Where do they keep backpacks in your room?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2012

Where to keep backpacks?

My room is tiny. Too small for 20 kids.
    No cubbies (every linear foot of wall space is taken by desks or furniture)
    No hallway. Anything left outside the door WILL get soaked if it rains.

Little kids, little chairs. Hanging the backpack over the back of the chair makes the chair fall over.

I'm actually considering telling parents to not have them bring home backpacks.

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2012

Little backpacks too? Can they put them UNDER the chairs?

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2012

Backpacks are no smaller than any other kid's. And while they may not have very many big books, they often have other stuff like extra clothes for daycare, etc.

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2012

Under the tables?

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2012

Plastic tubs outside?

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2012

They would be floating in plastic tubs outside on some days if I did that.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2012

In my second grade class, I had hooks on the wall for coats/backpacks. My current third grade room is one of the newer classrooms...I have built in closets.:thumb:

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 29, 2012

Hmmm...when I taught 1st grade, I had the tiny chair and desks, too. The kiddos always put their backpacks over the back of their chairs and there was never a problem.

Even though I have bigger chairs and desks now that I teach 2nd grade, I still have my kids put their backpacks over the back of their chairs.

10. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Nov 29, 2012

They are supposed to stay in a neat stack under the coat rack...
    Ha! Ha! They really stay under my feet and in my way since the coat rack in next to my desk. Next year I am asking for hooks too - Good idea!

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2012

Can't put hooks in walls. My entire roon is 18' by 30'. Two more students, and I would be in violation of the state fire codes.

As I said, all of the classrooms here open directly to the outdoors. During wet winter storms, kids get drenched going to the cafeteria or restroom. Many schools in California are designed this way, and I think it's downright criminal.

But that's another thread topic.

So if you were in my situation, would you consider telling the parents to not send kids with backpacks?

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 29, 2012

It depends on whether or not you emphasize the use of backpacks with parents.

During back-to-school night, I let parents know that kids need to bring their backpack each and every day. Inside their backpack, they should have their homework folder, Ziploc baggie with the books I send home, library book(s), and lunch bag (if applicable).

13. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Nov 29, 2012

Sarge, I had parents accuse me of being a horrible person one year when I suggested no backpack. Just telling you my experience.

I had this wild idea one year that my dear old Dad bought in to and made for me. We went to the home improvement store and bought 1 8ft 4x4. He cut it in half and then screwed each half to a sheet of probably 2ft.x2ft plywood. This made a base. He then drilled holes in the 4x4 up and down the post where we inserted small pieces of say a one inch dowel. Kind of like a coat rack, but more sturdier and more spread out. Everything was sanded smooth and painted and they sat on either side of my classroom door as you came in the room. Kids hung their backpacks up and they were out of the way. Of course, you had to take time teaching them to hang from the bottom first cause if a kid hung from the top, the bottom hooks were covered and went unused. Worked for me and I taught K.

14. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Nov 29, 2012

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2012

I'd bring in a big tub and have them put the backpacks in there, and then put the tub under a table or something. I have a tiny room and I have to store a lot of things under tables. It's not the best solution because kids still have to sit there, but there is literally not another place to put stuff.

I'd be afraid that no backpacks would lead to lost folders, books, and homework.

16. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Nov 29, 2012

I want some!!!!:)

17. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2012

What about those sticky hooks? They're supposed to be super strong, I've never used them so I don't know. But they have glue on the back so you don't have to drill holes.

18. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 29, 2012

Those look beautiful!

We just have our students shove them under their desks. Some students just have them on top of the desk, because we have large lab tables. Not helpful, I know, but you asked.

19. Harper

Harper Companion

Nov 30, 2012

Sarge, to answer your backpack question... Yes, it would bug me if my child's teacher said no backpacks. My first grader is often dropped off and picked up by other people, there is after school stuff, the constantly changing weather ( cold in AM, sunny in afternoon - esp. If you are running around playing), and more. Where will it all be kept? I know it is a pain to child's teacher, but I need that over stuffed backpack. We need all that stuff!

20. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 30, 2012

You know those plastic hooks, the ones with the sticky stuff that if you pull it comes right off and doesn't leave a mess behind on things? Why not put one of those on the top of the desk (in the corner towards the front, more towards the middle on the side, or even towards the front) and the backpacks can then hang down the side of the desk. Off the floor, not tipping chairs over and maybe it would leave more room?

21. forkids

forkids Cohort

Dec 1, 2012

Waterfall's idea of putting the backpacks in a big tub is what I did when I had a situation similiar to yours. It worked well for us. I had two big tubs and they put boys in one/girls in the other to make it a little easier to find theirs. We slid them under our big small group table and they were out of the way until dismissal time. I had tried having them hang the backpacks on the back of the chairs and they stayed in the floor most of the time - guess it depends on how your chairs are made how well they stay on. Sorry about your classroom situation - I know it's frustrating to deal with every day.

22. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2012

I would not tell parents to keep backpacks at home, especially with so many going to daycare.

I would look for a space in my classroom for a tub to put backpacks or find a way to hang them from the desks or tables. Maybe find a way to utilize your ceiling space (j/k) or find something heavy to put outside that won't float away...

23. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Dec 1, 2012

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago when my school was under construction. For the first half of the year, my room was half of our computer lab with a divider in the middle and Kindergarten on the other side. There was no closet or built in shelves and certainly nothing like cubbies or hooks. I did not allow my first graders to bring backpacks then. I didn't have any complaints from parents. It was pretty obvious to everyone that there was no space for anything and they were all very understanding. It may have been easier for me, though because it was only temporary. Once we moved into my new room after Christmas, backpacks were allowed again.

What about having them bring those plastic expanding file things? They could hold folders and most library books and would store much easier than backpacks.