Where do teachers get their cap and gown for HS graduations?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mathemagician, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 6, 2012

I just rented my cap and gown for college grad... I didn't think to buy it to use in HS graduations. Do most teachers wear their college cap and gown to HS graduations or rent one? Eep...I guess it might have been a good idea to buy one.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

In my school, we don't wear cap and gown. But in the school I used to teach in, we did. The school took care of it all-- they found out where we graduated from, and ordered the rentals.

Of course, I left there in 1987, so I have no idea whether or not they still do it.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

I taught a preK in the high school for a year...they ordered gowns for faculty for graduation.

5. Math

Math Cohort

Jul 6, 2012

My school I know they wore their college cap and gowns. Now, I do not know if they were rented. I doubt it though. I know one of my teachers had his in his closet. Just my :2cents:

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2012

Our school supplies us with cap, gown, and hood in our college colors. When I got my MA, they got me a master's gown. These are very lightweight--they can't be washed or drycleaned--but they hold up pretty well for that one wearing each year.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 7, 2012

When I taught high school they got my cap, gown, and cords for me. I just kept it hanging in my office behind the door.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2012

I wear my own - the school provides them for teachers who do not own theirs.

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2012

We aren't required to wear a cap and gown. We dress nicely and proceed.

10. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 7, 2012

I was graduation director at my school this year (never again :dizzy:!) I ordered gowns/hoods for any teachers who didn't have one from the company we get the student caps and gowns from. The school paid for them.

11. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jul 7, 2012

In my previous school, they rented gowns and hoods for the teachers, but ordered the same colored hood for everyone regardless of school or major. It made me so mad because I worked hard for my degrees and am proud of them! I do have my own gown and hood, and considered wearing it anyway, but ultimately decided that graduation was about the students. I decided that I could suck it up and wear what I was "supposed to" and just be there to support the graduates.

In my current school, we don't wear academic regalia at all. In fact, until my first year there (3 years ago), they didn't even include the teachers in the ceremony. They were required to attend, but just sat in the stands with the families. Now at least we sit on the field behind the graduates, though we still don't have a procession or anything.

When I went to high school it was in a relatively affluent area with a strong focus on academics. The teachers definitely wore their own gowns and hoods (though I imagine the school rented some for teachers who didn't have them), and I remember reading about it in the program and appreciating the symbolism of the garments and what everyone was wearing.

12. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Jul 7, 2012

In my school the rent the caps, gowns, tassels etc for all of the staff.We fill in a sheet each year to update our sizes and our degree earned so we get the correct hood etc.