where do i start?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2007

I have no idea where to start with planning! I know the standards and have my books.. but i don't know where to go from there! Could somebody give me some advice on what to do next? I just don't know if I should go ahead and plan the first week, if i should just have relaxed and fun the first day and then jump into teaching the next or what to do!?!?!? This is the stuff that they don't teach new teachers....

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 20, 2007

Focus on your routines and procedures. Plan a lot of get to know you activities for the first day. Once you go to preplanning and meet with the other teachers on your team, you should know more about what is expected. In the mean time see if your system posts its curriculum guides and pacing charts on its website.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

Look up Georgia Sequenced Lesson Plans. They have math and social studies laid out for the entire year.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2007

there aren't any pacing charts on their and i already have the AKS, academic knowledge standards, and the GPS. but i just want to be able to go in and have at least the first week planned...

6. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

This will be my first full year of teaching (I taught from Jan-June as well). It was crazy stepping into the second half of the year. It seemed like every weekend I was planning lessons or gathering materials! So this summer I vowed to cerate my curriculum map for the year! I am almost finished! I only worked on it for about a week and a half and then I haven't gone back to it in awhile! What I did is planned what topics I wanted to cover over the school months. Then I planned each days readings and activities. The activities took me the longest last year, so I made sure to plan out lots of activities and I figure I can cut back what I need to. Now all I have to do this school year is follow my daily plans!