Where Do I Go From Here?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher304, Aug 9, 2010.

1. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 9, 2010

This is my second summer applying for a job--no luck at all not even an LTS after day-to-day subbing the entire school year last year.

I have sent resumes and cover letters to every district in my county and three other counties surrounding me (basically every school within an hour's drive, some even more) and private schools around. I've had a few interviews but nothing ever comes from them.

I've even tried hand delivering resumes/cover letters but the secretaries tell me that they do not accept any hard copies and the only thing the Ps check is OLAS. Here there are about 700 applicants for every position and without any experience under my belt I feel like I am drowning in that sea. I've had people interview me and tell me that I interview well but I always get passed up when it comes to opportunities.

With a month left before school. I have not seen a job opening in my certification for a few weeks and doubt there will be any more. With all of the teachers around with experience, I don't think I will ever get the "call" that everyone here seems to get with good news. Any advice on how to make myself more marketable and get one of the few openings. Thanks.

3. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

I'm guessing you are from the NY metropolitan area because you used OLAS to apply for jobs. I live in that area too and I know it is extremely difficult to find jobs right now. I teach at a private school and we had a record number of applicants this school year. You should take some comfort in knowing that it is not personal that you are "drowing in the sea." Hang in there because you can still get hired after school starts. I got hired in Decemeber so it is possible.

As far as sticking out, I think you should try and tailor your cover letter to each school and do a little research into the mission statemenet/educational philosophy of each school you apply to. Include some key points from the schools mission statement/educational philosophy in your cover letter to show that you are a great match for their school. Also, you should include in your cover letter skills that set you apart from other candidates and are closely tied to the needs of that school( Can you coach a sports team? Can you run an afterschool club? Are you great with technology and can help with the schools website?....) Being that you have no expereince you have to make yourself marketable to the principal and I think principal's want to hire people who are great teachers but can also contribute to the school in other ways as well.

In the end though I think the key to getting that call is being the right fit for a district or school. If you show them you're the right fit from the begining of the job seeking process I think you will have more luck. Hope everything works out the way you want it.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2010

Lets just hope for more teachers to take that retirement incentive, teachers have until August 31st to accept if their districts offered it.

Also what about that bill that paterson just signed on Tuesday, House of rep signed on Thursday...now senate and Obama need to sign to get the money back into education- part of the federal stimulus bill...do you think that will affect teachers this year?

5. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

I was watching the news last night and they reported that, at least in New Jersey, the possible additional money was slated to go to re hiring some of the laid off teachers, not new hires. The report said that in New Jersey, statewide, their are 10 percent fewer teachers scheduled to begin teaching in Septemeber and that the stimulus money was designed to lower that number. Does anyone know if this is actually accurate? That 10 percent number seemed really high when I heard it.

I hope for all the job seekers out there that some districts hire some new hires and maybe after the retirement incentive that you mentioned kicks in some of the more senior teachers retire, leaving more openings.

6. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

it is definitely tough here in ny. i went on my 10th interview for a lts position and i'm not feeling confident at all. every year it seems to get a little worse. i'm thinking about going back to school for something else.

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

Just saw on News12 that Senate signed today and now its on its way to Obama...don't know if its only for laid off teachers though bc it said that the district has to decide how they will spend the money. Hoping for the best!

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

I would try emailing principals about their interest in their schools. It cant hurt. I know its tought but you have to keep your head up. The right job is out there for you.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2010

What part of NY are you in? I have had absolutely no luck with OLAS this year. I have applied for jobs up to 90 minutes away. I have not applied for LTS though. I have a pending certification but I'm not sure it will come through in time. I have a job right now but I'm looking for another one. New jobs keep popping up every day so you never know. Keep trying.

11. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 11, 2010

Lower Hudson Valley. What type of jobs have you applied to and why not LTS?

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2010

I have been applying to jobs in LHV, MHV and Capital region for Special ed jobs but a lot of them are asking for sp ed plus math/science which I don't have. I don't apply for the LTS jobs because I already have a full time job so I am just sticking with this until I find another full time job. Have you checked the site for private schools? You might be able to contact them directly since they aren't on OLAS:
    http://www.nysais.org/page.cfm?p=6&start=1&filter_data5=Lower Hudson Valley

13. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 11, 2010

Thanks! What district do you currently teach in?

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2010

I teach in a private school. I would LOVE to teach in a district.

15. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 11, 2010

Have you gotten many SPED interviews in the LHV and MHV?

16. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

I'm in my 4th year teaching in the city, and I would LOVE to teach on LI. I have a few connections for some districts, but of course they excessed so they aren't interviewing any elementary teachers. I hope it changes in the future.

17. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

I hope something comes up for you teacher304!! Dont loose hope, many jobs are coming up now for last minute opporunities!