Where did you meet your spouse?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Brendan, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 25, 2007

My son had a seminar today for confirmation and the first thing the speaker asked was how did you parents meet and took an unoffical poll. How did you all meet your husband, wife, or boyfriend/girlfriend.

Well here is mine...
    Katelyn (my wife) and I met in Geometry it was a course for Freshmen and Sophmore and I was horrible at math and transfered out after a term. We started going out oh my good it was Sophmore year, and have been with each other (for the most part) since then.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

We met at a wake.

I had been coaching Speech and Debate for a number of years. When one of the other coaches lost his dad, I went to the wake on a Friday night.

The coach was Peter's department chairman. He was there too.

A number of the teachers from the two schools were sitting aound talking. Someone suggested going out for a drink afterwards. But by the time we got around to leaving, everyone but Peter and I had decided to just go home. So we went without them.

And the rest is history :)

4. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 25, 2007

We were highschool sweethearts. :)

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 25, 2007

Not married yet. But I met my bf on my 25th birthday at a bar. haha. I wasn't drinking I had to drive. Anyway I kept thinking about him so went out looking for him and found him two weeks later. So here we are coming up on my twenty-12 birthday and still together.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

I met my hoosband online. We were both using instant messaging software (like AOL IM), and there was a button you could click that said "Find a Random Chat Buddy"... he clicked it and found me!

We just chatted for a while, and then we graduated to talking on the phone, and then we met in person a few months later. It worked out.

:)

7. Carla

Carla Companion

Aug 25, 2007

I met my husband at school. He is also an elementary teacher. We hung out at school together after hours. Then we went out. We have now been together 7 1/2 years and married 3 years ago. :up:

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2007

I meet my husband at camp. I had a chance to volunteer at a camp during the special needs student week, and took it. He was a camp counselor for the summer. I found him in his cabin, with his shirt off, asking for directions to the kitchen. We were engaged a month later, married 4 months later.......17 years ago.

Funny thing is his family joked with him he was going to camp to find a wife and I was told I was going to find a husband. I ran into him the second day and I asked him why he was there, he said with a look of confusion on his face, I am here to find a wife.....(he later said the words slipped out it wasn't what he intended to say!) Of course I ran away....but we spent every spare minute together.

9. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

We eyed each other across the after hours coffee house. He left with his buddy, then I left with my friend. We were driving home, when my girlfriend said, "Look, it's him!" Sure enough, he was driving in the car beside us. He continued to drive beside us almost all the way across the city, our windows rolled down, while we "talked" to one another. He finally motioned us to pull over; we all got out of the cars and he asked for our phone number. My friend had just moved and her phone service wasn't hooked up yet, so I gave him my number. The rest, as they say, is history. We've been together 31 years. :love:

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 25, 2007

I too like Cassie found my DH online (aol chatroom). 11 years ago!

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2007

We worked together in college but were both dating/engaged to others. We both broke up with the other person that we dating at about the same time that another friend from work was having a big birthday so we would have been the only ones going without a date and decided to go together. We were engaged one year later and married a year after that. We will soon celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary.

12. shopaholic

shopaholic Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

We were set up on a blind date by a teacher that I worked with. We went out on June 3, 1995 and were married a year to the date. I even had my 5th grade class take part in the wedding. We are happily married, 12 years and 3 kids later.:hugs:

13. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 25, 2007

Same as shopaholic - my husband and I were set up by a teacher that I worked with.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

Blind date. :cool:

15. dkaree

dkaree Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I knew my husband in high school, but only because he was the brother of a classmate. I always thought he would marry his high school sweetheart. His sister and I went to college together and would ride home together. I even spent some time at her house. My picture was in the local paper when I was doing substitute work. His mother said..now there's someone you should date. She's such a nice girl. :lol: Anyway, he saw me downtown one day and decided to call. We were engaged after dating for 3 months and have been married for 37 years!

16. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

Today is our 23rd Wedding Anniversary!!!! My husband and I met at college and have been together ever since. We also have two great kids!! :hugs:

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 25, 2007

I met my husband in college. Registration put him in the wrong classroom so he was only there for a day. (It was his last semester). I was friendly (I thought I knew him..oops) so when he saw me across campus later, he asked me out. On our 3rd date, he asked me to marry him! 7 mo. later we tied the knot and it has been 12 years and counting. Right now I'm missing him though. He's overseas in Afghanistan.

Happy Anniversary Engmom!:2up:

18. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Aug 25, 2007

He use to date one of my friends lol!! We use to hang out together and she ended up cheating on him so needless to say we all stopped hanging out. But the two of us still would hangout occasionally and one thing led to another and we have been together for 9yrs and are getting married this June =)

19. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 25, 2007

I also met my husband online about 4 1/2 years ago. I had just moved into the area and was using the dating services to meet friends. I didn't want a serious relationship because my plan was not to stay in the area. My screen name was the same on the dating site and on AOL IM so he contacted me for free that way. We met at a restaurant IRL. I thought his shirt was dorky and he thought my skirt was frumpy, but we've been married 2 years and I'm still in the area I never expected to live for longer than 2 years and that was 5 years ago.

20. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

Thanks! We went out for Alaskan King Crab--my favorite!

I'm sure your husband misses you, too. :wub: How long will he be in Afghanistan? I'm assuming he's in the service, so I want to thank both of you for the sacrifices you make everyday for me and my family. I know it is not easy, but it is appreciated.

21. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

I met my husband through my brother. We were both dating other people at the time, but we occasionally hung out when my brother was around. About 5 years later something changed, and we started dating! We've been together for 3 1/2 years and married for 1 year!

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 25, 2007

He used to be active duty (Marine). He was in Desert Storm. That was before he met me. Then he went back in, but we never had a deployment. Now he is Department of Defense and he volunteered this time. He says on base and keeps the computers running. Here, he goes to airports all over and surveys computer equipments to see if they are secure enough. Then draws up blueprints for updates.

He has been gone 3 months. He has another 3 months. Soon I will email copies of pictures of us and of him to this place on base. I found out they have "Operation Pillowcases." Basically they transfer the pictures onto pillowcases along with a message and send them to my husband and to my kids. I haven't told any of them. My kids just got some snacks (normal stuff we eat) with arabic writing on it. He is thrilled because he is taking a language exposure class this year and wants to bring them to class.

23. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

I don't know if I could handle 6 months without my husband.:( Especially with the kids! More power to you! It is nice that he will be home for the holidays. :)

24. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2007

your stories give a single gal some hope ..lol

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 25, 2007

Yeah, I miss him. Most of the time I'm okay except for Murphy's Law ruling my house this summer and keeps going. I've felt bad a few times because I've had to turn down a few simple requests he has made because I'm swamped in ridiculous crisis. It's also funny how many crisis never get resolved because they aren't as important. Right now some of my plugs and lights are out in the weirdest parts of the house (not connected). No biggie. Swim on. Four bouts of lice, however, stop and attack that now! A toliet stopped up? There are 3 more in the house. I stay behind and busy. I didn't have a vacation this summer. I was too busy either taking care of stuff or making sure my kids could salvage at least some of thier summer. But, I'm making it. It's when I slow down or blow up that I really miss him. With his hours being so different from mine (time zone), what I really miss most is more instantaneous communication when I need it most. But at least I can communicate with him.

I'm in the wrong thread. Oops. Sorry for derailing it a little.

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2007

Which spouse?
    :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

27. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 25, 2007

I met my husband in high school while dating his best friend. We dated for 7 years through high school and college and celebrated our 25th anniversary last week.

28. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007

We met in Church. :love:

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 26, 2007

I love this, it is so funny he said that to you. And here you are 17 years later!

30. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 26, 2007

You're a brat. The last one you married maybe.:rolleyes:

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

I say you choose the best story.

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007

OK OK I'll tell
    #1 In a bar We were both 22, 6y
    #2 At basketball game I was the Referee, She was the Security Guard I was 30 she was 24, 7y
    #3 At Church I was 39 she was 44, 8y

Then I was a very single Dad for 8 years
    #4 On line, in a teacher chat room (not AtoZ), after 2 years of correspondence and visiting we decided we should be together! I was 52 she was 39 we are starting our 5 year of wedded bliss(?) LOL

33. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007

Well, we first met when I was 8 & he was 9- we went to a 4th of July party with our grandparents who knew each other & worked together. I was not impressed with him because he threw rotten eggs at the girls at the party & kept shooting off fireworks to scare us.

Fast forward to middle school- I did not remember him from that, but I always thought he was the cutest guy! Of course, he didn't know I was alive.

Fast forward again to high school. His best friend was my best friend's brother. We were friends for a year, and then started to date. That was 10 1/2 years ago (we have been married for 8 this past June).

34. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 26, 2007

engmom-

Happy Anniversary (a day late)!! My parents anniversary was yestrerday also. They just celebrated 45 years and still going!!!!

35. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Thanks! Congrats to your parents!! My parents celebrated their 45th on Aug. 4th! :wub:

36. Jadegrniiz

Jadegrniiz Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Add me to the AOL chat room list. :)

Although, to be fair, I actually met him at a bar where everyone from an AOL chatroom was gathering for a party. I tell people we met in a bar, he tells people we met online. So, there ya go.

We met in late 1998, and have been together ever since. :wub:

37. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 27, 2007

We are not married yet, but have been together for 10 years so I sort of consider him my spouse. He was my best friend's brother and lived next door! So cliche!

38. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Aug 27, 2007

I took a part time job working as a hostess at his parent's restaraunt when I was 19. I worked there a long time without meeting him since we worked opposite shifts. He came in to pick up some food one night while I was working and I couldn't take my eyes off him. That was 8 years ago. We aren't married yet.

39. Tyland

Tyland Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

I was student teaching at my husband's school and we were fixed up by a mutual student - a 9th grader! We'll be married 19 years in a few months.

40. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 27, 2007

SO thats at least 4 of us that met our spouses online.....

41. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 27, 2007

Husband

Met my husband because I was dating his brother. When we broke up, I began dating my future husband. The original brother was in our wedding--that was 24 years ago. There is another brother, so I threaten my husband that I am going for the trifecta!!!