Where did you meet your hubby?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by njeledteacher, Jun 29, 2007.

1. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 30, 2007

I met my hubby in college, but one of my close friends met her hubby at Barnes and Nobles. :)

2. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 30, 2007

Happy Anniversary!!

I think this is a cool thread. It's neat hearing all the different and similar stories in the threads. I think my favorite though is the lightbulb story!! I had a good laugh.

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 30, 2007

I met my husband at a 4th of July party.

I had just moved to Panama City in June to work at a Lutheran school during their summer program - and then teach first grade. The second grade teacher invited me to her apartment complex for a picnic (with a large group of residents) and then to the fireworks at Tyndall Air Force Base. My husband lived in one of the apartments there. At the time, he was a senior master sergeant in the Air Force.

We got engaged about five and a half months later - and have been married for 22 years now!

4. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Jun 30, 2007

I met my hubby at a campus vending machine. He told me that I shouldn't drink Pepsi so early in the morning. I told him to SHOVE OFF and that he was NOT my MOTHER!!!

He walked up to me later, apologized, and handed me his phone number, saying that he hoped I would call him.

I guess he liked the spunky type.
    Married 10 years.

5. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

Im not married or engaged yet, but I have been with my boyfriend for 7 years. ( I do think I will be engaged within the next year.) I met him through a friend when I was 17. He was home on leave from the Marines and we hit it off right away and had a long distance relationship for 3 1/2 years. ( I got to see many parts of the country due to him being in the military! :) )

6. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 1, 2007

Totally agree with you. I used to work in a daycare center and had a divorced dad ask me out numerous times. I wasn't interested in him or in getting involved in that situation. But in education, there aren't many opportunities to meet single men as in other professions. I'm not in a hurry to get married either, but wouldn't mind someone to kill the spiders for me :D Let me know if you have any luck!

7. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 1, 2007

Okay ladies, here's one for you to ponder. As I was reading this thread tonight at 2 am, I just got an email from a guy that I was talking to from an online dating site. The thing is that he was studying for the LSAT and I could tell not really into dating at the time. It has been over 2 months since we last talked. We never met in person, but he said he wanted to get "reaquanted" sp?. But he wouldn't blame me if I thought he was a complete jerk. What do you all think about this?

8. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 1, 2007

I say, give him another chance. From what I hear, the LSAT is a bit rough...if he's man enough to own up to his "flakiness," talk to him a bit and try to get to know him. You never know.

My story (which I love to share with anyone who will listen!!) is:

I am newly engaged. I have been with him for 5+ years. When I was a freshman in college, he was a junior. I went to a frat party, and I was watching a drinking game at a table. I looked across the table, and I saw this guy looking at me. He had the most beautiful eyes, and there was something different when I looked at him. I'm not lying; there was something that just stuck with me from when I saw him. I will never forget those eyes....a couple weeks later, he got the guts to ask me out, and I said no. He was drunk; I didn't believe him. I gave him my (weird) last name, the floor I lived in at the dorm, and told him to call me when he was sober. He went through all kinds of hoops to hunt down my number. Now we're engaged.... He's a police officer now, and everyone tells me cops have the highest divorce rates, but I can't imagine being with anyone but him. Call me naive, but marriage is forever.

I wasn't looking when I met him....don't give up. God has a plan for you. Give this on-line guy a chance!! :)

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2007

Give him another chance. The LSAT is a killer.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2007

Why not? Sometimes life gets in the way of things--we've all been down that road.

Give him a shot. Meet him in real time (with all the precautions in place of course.) Even if he's not the right one, he may have great friends. Broadening your circle is never a bad idea.

11. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 1, 2007

Playing basketball in the morning before school started in 7th grade. :) Seriously, I played basketball with several guys and a couple of girls before school started each day. He happened to be one of the guys. In 9th grade, we had an English class together and he was always hitting on me. He'd write little love notes on my papers when I passed them back for him to correct. Our teacher knew and kind of teased us both. In 10th grade, we started dating. We broke up in August before our junior year as his family was moving 60miles away. We kept in touch through phone and letters; he even visited a couple of times. By March, we were officially "going together" again. The rest is history... we'll be married for 14years as of July 17th. :love:

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2007

That's also how I met my DH.

My best friend and her brother-in-law fixed us up. DH was a bandmate of said BIL. They brought him to church on "Friend's Day", and the made sure to sit us by each other all day that day.

We went on our first date the following month, were engaged in eight months, and married in ten months after that. We married in 2000.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2007

I love hearing all these stories!

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 1, 2007

My friend met her fiance online. They are perfect for one another. Me - I am still looking. They say you gotta kiss a lot of frogs before meeting Mr. Right. I have kissed a lot!

15. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

I met my husband at church. It was a small church, my sister and her husband went so I went with them one day. He and I were the only two single people in the place so it was kind of expected. We went out once, no bells so I thought oh well.
    We still saw each other at church but nothing then a couple years later my sister got pregnant, we were both around a lot more then especially when the baby came. Then after Valentines Day he backed off. I think maybe he got commitmentaphobia.
    A few years later, he called to check on me and within a few weeks was declaring his love. The whole process took 3 seasons of dating and about 8 years. Sometimes the ones that we have rejected come back around after they or we have gotten ready.

16. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Jul 1, 2007

I was moving to a different city in Japan. I didn't have enough stuff to warrant renting a truck, but I had too much to move it myself on the train. A friend of mine told me one of her friends had a car and could help me move my things. Not only did he help me move my stuff, but he brought me back to my first apartment, helped me finish cleaning, then came with me to a BBQ at a friend's place that night. I sent him a text message the next day to thank him for his help, and he asked me out. Believe me, I was sweaty and disgusting that day and totally did not expect to meet my future husband!!!

17. momtomm

momtomm Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

I met my husband at age 19 through a mutual friend at a Madonna Concert. It was in the summer of 1986. We went on a few dates but then went on our separate ways. I re-met him again at a friends wedding when we were 23. We started to date again and then three years later, we got married.

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2007

I am a little surprised at the number of posts saying that just because a guy is divorced means he is automatically out of the running. I would not rule a guy out just for that reason - you never know what might have happened! I would at least go out with him once. If the entire evening was a gripe session about his exwife, then dump him. If not, you never know! My dh wanted nothing to do with a woman with a kid, and couldn't imagine what he would have in common with a country & western radio DJ (He was/is a rocker). We've been happily married for 16 years now!

19. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 2, 2007

I think (from what I remember) the posters talked about divorced parents of students....

20. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

Wow! I like reading these posts because I am 26, still single and waiting for the right one to come along. I'm ready to get married, but just got out of a relationship and not sure about jumping right back in, but I'm SO ready to be settled down. It's frustrating. I always thought I'd be married with kids by now!

21. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2007

I met my husband through my boyfriend at the time...yes, his friend stole me and it was weird for a while...but it all worked out, we are all still friends, he is married too!

22. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

My 1st husband... Across the street from my parents lives my 1st husbands brother and family. On the day that I was leaving for college, the sister in law ran over with a picture and his dorm address. I looked him up and it was love at first sight.

My husband now... I was depressed about being alone and asked another teacher at the school I was at if she knew any police officers. I don't know why I was so interested in dating one though. She said that she only knew one's that were married. Then a day later she remembered that she did know someone who was really nice. She called him up and asked him if he would like to go on a date with a school teacher. Trusting Linda's judgement, he decided to take a chance. He called me up and asked me and my daughter if we would like to go to Dairy Queen the next night. I accepted and I was just being polite on the date. I wasn't sure if I liked him or not. A few days later, I still wasn't sure, I thought that he was just some (dumb) country boy. Well, I married that country boy and we had a child and I love him dearly to this day.

23. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2007

my dad met my mother when she was moving out of her apartment and my uncle came over to help move her stuff. My dad tagged along and said it was love at first sight , but he was terrified about how many pairs of shoes she owned :)

one of my best friend met her fiance at the grocery store they work at.

24. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

We met on Match.com. Met at one of his football games he was referree-ing (Oct '04) and got married in June '05. Been married 2 yrs and hope for many more!! :)

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

My husband was my math tutor in high school.

26. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

ha ha ha... similar, except he really didn't "steal me". There was a lag in between the boyfriend break-up and the husband dating.

27. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 3, 2007

That's how my fiance and I met (Match.com). He proposed to me at the Borders where we met for our first date,. We're getting married 12-29!

28. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

My husband and I met in college. We both lived in an overflow dorm at the local Holiday Inn. We lived 4 doors down from each other. I officially met him in the hot tub downstairs by the pool. :D

29. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

Don't feel bad, I was engaged to someone else when I met my husband.:eek:

30. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

Now there's a story for the boys Jenn.... LOL:D

31. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

Oh......there is so much I could tell....LOL!:eek: Met in a hot tub, engaged to another guy......ummmm......I plead the fifth. ;)

32. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

Wow, so let me ask you this. How many people did you meet in person from match.com before you met your fiance?

33. mariah

mariah Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

I love that to hear about that success because my fiance and I met on match.com too! Congratulations!

34. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 5, 2007

I met a couple for casual lunch dates. They were awkward and not fun. However, when I began corresponding with my fiance, he was in Iraq with the Army and had about 5 more months before he came home. We had lots of time to correspond and get to "know" each other before we officially met. When we went on our first date, it was so much fun and not awkward at all!

35. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

I met my husband on Yahoo personals. I saw his profile and pictures and my best friend said that if I didn't email him, she would for me because he sounded wonderful. We exchanged several emails and then talked on IM for a while. After that he called me and we talked for 3 hours on the phone and he asked me out for the next evening. It's been heaven ever since and July 10th will be our 3 year anniversary.

36. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

I went to an all woman's college and worked as a dispatcher, he was the new security officer.

37. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

AWWWWWWWWW:love:

38. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

You lucked out, believe me. I have been on quite a few dates, and not one of them have panned out yet.

39. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

Keep kissing those frogs njeled... ya know what they say:D

40. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 6, 2007

right here. :) Well, sort-of. I met him online after using dating sites to meet people and also just contact people about what apartments are good to live in and things like that when I relocated across the country. I did meet some long-lasting friends and--best of all-I met my husband. :)