Where did all the hobby shops go?!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sciencewrestler, Dec 15, 2008.

1. sciencewrestler

sciencewrestler Rookie

Dec 15, 2008

Maybe this is just a local phenomena, but in the last five years or so I would guesstimate 75% of the brick-n-mortar hobby shops have suddenly closed their doors. :( More specifically, shops that sold things like plastic glue-together model kits (cars/planes/ships), radio controlled planes & cars, model trains and model rocketry. Disclaimer: I still build the occasional model and own an R.C. stadium racer truck! :D (would have bought an R.C. car but those get stuck too easily out in the forests I camp & hike in)

I know video games are popular but have those really taken over as the activity of choice for boys and teenaged guys? There is so much else out there to do, so I worry that kids are missing out on some enriching (shh - don't let them hear you say that out loud :wink: ) and/or just plain fun activities, especially ones that take place outside.

Thoughts?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 15, 2008

My husband sounds like you and likes to build models. There aren't any hobby shops around here so he buys them at Walmart or Toys R Us. Maybe the hobby shops closed down because the big chain stores are selling the same things cheaper along with the fact that less people are into that kind of thing. I never really thought about it. I don't know any kids who have that particular hobby.

4. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 15, 2008

I think video games have taken over, almost completely. At least in the area where I live...I only know of 1 of these hobby shops you're talking about. They sell model planes, etc. and miniatures for doll houses and what not. It's a pretty big store. But I could think of at least 20 video games stores easily...

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 15, 2008

I know my boyfriend would love it if there were more hobby shops around. He LOVES WWII model planes & has even built and donated some to our local air museum. He goes all out, creating the scenery around the plane w/ shrubbery, etc. & he likes to make it that weathered look as if it crashed & is deserted in a field.

In our area, we have a Pegasus Hobbies, Hobby People, & the local air museum gift shop. There used to be this mom & pop hobby store in LA (Los Angeles, CA, that is), but they closed up. We know of a few in a couple of other cities.

Also, every once in a blue moon, we find out about a Model Expo where they have vendor booths that sell all kinds of model kits & kits that aren't made anymore. It's like Christmas for my BF at that place!

6. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 15, 2008

My husband is in mourning for the loss of hobby shops! He has a model train that he would SO love to expand, but there is noone anywhere nearby that sells them anymore. You can still find some online, but it just isn't the same as going into the shops and looking at the trains on display!

7. sciencewrestler

sciencewrestler Rookie

Dec 15, 2008

Looks like I'm not the only one going through model withdrawl!

Didn't think about the big-box stores wiping out smaller mom-n-pop hobby stores, but it seems hobby shops are so specialized that wouldn't happen........but then again, when was the last time you saw a small independent music store? (besides downloading, Best Buy and other giant retailers have pretty much eliminated that concept too).

More lamenting-the-past memories: I also used to put together electronic kits - yea I was kind of all over the place back then as far the building thing went - and Heathkit (you have to be old like me to know about that company :D) and Radio Shack supplied the stuff for my habit. Unfortunately the former is long gone and RadShak is now basically just a cellphone & gadget store. I also built two pairs of home speakers using parts from the 'Shak (my woodshop teacher frowned whenever I used his saws while building these because the dense particle board [best stuff for speaker cabinets] dulled his blades so quick - oops!).

FYI: if anyone else looked forward to the day Radio Shack released their catalog - geek paradise in print form! - they now can "turn the pages" of many of those catalogs in Flash form, all the way back to the 40s:

www.radioshackcatalogs.com

A very nice site that must have taken much time to put together. The pages even "crackle" gently as you turn them - cool! Before the 80s, most stereo gear looked so nice i.e. attractive brushed metal, and real wood for the speakers (back then RS made gear equivalent to Pioneer and Sony).

Jeez I'm only 43 and I already sound like some kind of old fart waving his cane and yelling at the kids to get off his lawn.......