Where can you print in color?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 12, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

I do not have a printer at home. My school is out of colored ink, and no one knows when it will be in.

School starts in 3 weeks, and there are some things that I NEED to print. Mainly, my classroom library labels, and labels for bins around my classroom. It is essential that these labels are up by the first day of school, because they play an important role in the routines that I teach in the first few days.

If the ink is not in on time, where can I print these things? Many people tell me Kinkos, but our Kinkos turned into FedEx/Kinkos, and their services are very minimal now. The quality also went down greatly (used to be thick, inexpensive laminating, now it's cheap, flimsy, expensive, and they do a horrible job). I would like everything to be printed on cardstock, too. I don't want to spend a small fortune. :(

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

Office Depot and Office Max do it around here, but I have no idea about prices. It might be cheaper to buy a new ink cartridge for a friend and print it on their printer.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

Staples

Do they have to be printed in color? Color copying was one of the first things that my district did away with. Can you copy black and white and glue onto colored paper or copy onto colored cardstock?

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 12, 2012

At my local library you can print in color for 50 cents a page.

6. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 12, 2012

UPS Store's - .29 a copy in my area.

Fedex Kinkos - .59 a copy in my area.

Sometimes your local library will let you do some. Like 5 pages or something and charge a small amount

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

I believe your best bet would be to buy the ink on amazon.com for your schools printer....it will be way cheaper than paying per page to print. Amazon sells 'bootleg' ink for very cheap and it works great.

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

Staples does it for around a $1.00 a page.

Printers are really cheap now. It may be better to buy a printer and an ink cartridge.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

How about at a friend's house?
    Ask some of your friends and you'll be surprised to find out who would offer their help.
    I'd let you use mine, IF you were in town.:cool:
    Rebel1

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

Maybe it would be cheaper to drive to your town? :lol:

Maybe I will just check the cost of printers...I'm sure there are some on sale, since it is back to school time. I could really use one. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that my school's ink comes in!

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2012

Hope it comes in soon!

It could be worse; our school server crashed about 3 weeks ago, and we were not able to print anything until Thursday evening. School starts tomorrow...

12. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 12, 2012

Print out the labels in block letters and then color them in with crayon, colored pencil, or marker.

13. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

Walmart had a nice Cannon one for $29.00. I always get Cannon printers since I can get cheap, generic ink on ebay.

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2012

I agree, it's probably cheaper to buy a color printer for home. Mine was only around 30 dollars, and since I only use it for emergencies the ink lasts a long time. I took my reference letters to Staples to get printed in color (for the heading) because my printer (6 years old) was acting up and I wanted them to look really nice. It cost over 50 dollars for all the copies I needed! I learned my lesson after that and bought another printer right away!

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2012

We don't have a color printer teachers are allowed to use, so it is at home or black and white.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2012

I just printed at Staples today. 59 cents for color, 9 or 10 cents for black and white. Plus you get 5% off with your Staples Rewards card.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2012

And as for buying a printer, I can't afford a color laser printer. It looks 10000000000x better than an ink jet printer. I spend maybe $10 a year at Staple printing in color. Money well spent in my opinion!

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

We just bought a colour all-in-one printer for Lauren at Target for $35, including 4 ink cartridges.

I rarely print in colour. Instead, I print in black on coloured paper.

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

I would print in black and white, BUT:
    -The pictures for my classroom library are just too cute and need to be in color. :)
    -Our color printer is only out of magenta ink, but will not print ANYTHING until the magenta is refilled. So, even though the black ink cartridge is almost new, it will not print anything in black and white. So stupid!

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 12, 2012

Sounds like a trip to the local 24hour Wal mart is in order to get a magenta cartridge!

I do most of my colour printing at home. Our colour printer at school is in the office and the admin team can monitor how much is done. I try to keep it minimal at school!

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 13, 2012

No can do-they have to special order the ink and it is VERY expensive!

22. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 13, 2012

You can print in color at staples. You upload the file online and submit to your local staples, and they will email you when it done for you to pick it up. I did it last week and it was super convenient!!

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

In case anyone is curious, Office Max has color printing services. I just uploaded everything online, and it will be ready for me to pick up in 2 days. I am printing 13 color pages on cardstock, and it will cost about $8.50. I didn't think that was too bad!

Also, the ink did arrive at school, but all of the printers in the district are down! They apparently have been down for a few weeks now, and a company is coming around to each building to correct the problem. So, it could be a while!