Where can you buy houses for $50-70K?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by eduk8r, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 4, 2007

Eduk8r we didn't live that far from you. We bought our house in Temecula in '04 and sold it last year. It was a nice payday but I'll probably regret leaving the area. It was very nice. I only hope we can find an area comparable. We're also looking in the South/Southeast regions.

2. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Mar 4, 2007

Western New York is a good choice

Western New York is a beautiful area with incredibly reasonable real estate. Near Rochester, NY you can get a cute 3 bed with a garage and barn and a few acres for about 180K. It is a great place to live, close to the Finger Lakes for summertime fun. There really is not anyplace like it if you ask me...a hidden gem!

3. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Mar 4, 2007

In the Ohio Valley (WV&OH) where I'm from, houses are really reasonable/cheap. My house was only $30,000 and it had 3BR, LR, DR, garage, unfinished rec-rooom, storage room and 2 full baths (3 levels!). Housing there is cheap because good jobs are scarce. An option would be to live in the Ohio Valley, but commute to Pittsburgh Pa, which would be about an hour or so. I opted to just move to VA for a job.

4. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2007

Thanks, Snowy Day and katerina03. I knew there had to be somewhere...:) Katerina, where are you in VA? That's where I'm from. I like it, but last time we went (a few years ago) it had changed so much, it was becoming really crowded, too.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 4, 2007

I had a house in the suburbs surrounding Austin, Texas for $133k. It was brand new house (4 years ago). It was 2200 sq ft, 2 stories, and 4 bedrooms. A smaller house, in a smaller town away from a major city would cost less. The cost doesn't go up much though. I sold it for $140k.

6. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2007

Sounds cool...Thank you! :)

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 4, 2007

My aunt lives in Harrisburg PA. She moved there last year from NJ. SHe couldn't believe the cost of houses out there and how much cheaper it is from NJ.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 4, 2007

There's a house across the street from me that originally listed for $89,000, but they just reduced it. I'm figuring it will sell for between $65,000-$69,000. It's a neat, small white-siding house with a small front yard and a decent-sized fenced back yard.

I'm in a small Kentucky town . . . rural area . . . and the only time houses sell for high prices is to out-of-town people who don't know any better.

We bought our house in August of 2000 for $82,000. It's a 1600 square foot brick ranch on 1.5 acres. It was in "move in" shape when we bought it, but we did choose to do some remodeling.

9. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Mar 4, 2007

I live about 70 east of Richmond. I teach at a small rural school. I went to a job fair in Fredericksburg yesterday to try and get a little closer to the city, but I think housing prices might be high up there too. We rent right now.

10. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Mar 4, 2007

In rural NC (well, anywhere not in a bigger city), houses are pretty cheap and decent. In my home town, $40-80k would get you a nice ranch house (2-3 br).

11. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Mar 4, 2007

SW Missouri, near Springfield. Look up Republic, MO. I saw a show on MTV called "Underaged and Engaged" and a couple around 20 years old bought their first home for $55000 or something like that just before their wedding. Two weeks later they returned from their honeymoon to find the house and cars ruined from an ice storm.

There is no perfect place!

12. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Mar 4, 2007

I live on Long Island (NY), the median home price here is ....450,000!!! It absolutely horrendous!!! I am looking to move out of here (to another state) because with my starting salary I won't be able to afford much :( However, I have lived in the New York area all of my life and don't know how I would adjust to living someplace else. How does your salary compare to your cost of living???

13. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Mar 4, 2007

I do pretty well as far as my standard of living goes. I still feel that we should be paid more, but I think I do well. It also helps that I don't have any children yet. My friend is also teaching in the same county as me and she's a first year teacher, married, with 1 child. They are already starting to build a new house. So it's very easy to do that even with the lowest salary here, I think. With my first pay check in the county I'm in now, I could have paid all my bills 2 fold, put the down payment on my new car (which I've had for a month now), and still had money to boot.

14. kteelou

kteelou Rookie

Mar 4, 2007

In East Texas you can get a decent house between 80-100,000. Teacher salaries are decent, but not great. I love it in East Texas. Lots of trees, hot summers, cool winters. No crazy weather like blizzards or anything. Summers are really hot, but you get used to it! Good luck!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2007

Amazing, isn't it???

I was doing a problem with my Seniors the other day on compound interest. I came up with an amount they would need to get into ahouse on LI, including closing costs: $55,000 (completely reasonable for this area.) Then I pretended that mom and dad gave them $5000 as a graduation gift and they banked it at 5% interest. Turns out it would take like 30 years for them to have the down payment.

Of course, that's not how anyone does it. Most people I know got cash as wedding gifts, banked that for a while, and then somehow pulled together the rest as a down payment.

But it's home.

And I can appreciate what Change of Career said about Indiana: she didn't love it, but apparently lots of other people do. So think about looking there as well-- maybe you'l be one of those "other people."

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2007

My house is a fixer upper and was a bargain at mid 300's... I can't leave LI though.... I've been here forever.

17. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2007

Wow! Thanks to all of you for the info. It sounds like many of us are looking for reasonably priced houses. I rent too right now, but I soooo want to own. Thanks for giving specifics about home prices in your areas, all of you. I'm feeling better, like there are still places we can buy. Right now, I'm stowing away money for the day. Hey, this looks like a great forum for this sort of help. I looked in the archives on similar threads and I saw awaxler (then from NY) was asking the same question back in 2003 about FL. Now he lives in FL and is apparently very happy. So, one day that will be all of us who are looking now! :)

18. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Mar 5, 2007

In the Atlanta Metro area, a starter house in a decent area with a yard is between 165-220K

If you want something a bit more quiet and fancy it's late 200s early 300s.

19. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Mar 5, 2007

Have you looked for foreclosures or seizures in your area or surrounding areas? I know a family member got a really nice house for a very reasonable price because it was in foreclosure. There were a couple of repairs to be made to the house but it was definitely a wonderfl deal and it was in a good neighborhood too. I am sure you could probably find a list of these homes with a little bit of research online.

Good luck:) .

20. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2007

I live in Maryland, in a suburban area with good schools. We moved last year. Our old house had about 1200 sq ft, 3 BR, 2 and a half baths, on a third of an acre. It had been built in 1955. We'd been in that house for 4 years....had bought it for $225,000 and sold it for over $500,000. In four years, more than doubled our money...which enabled us to move into a much newer house (1992) and bigger, too (3500 sq ft) for 700,000...a year later this house is valued at 900,000. It's insane.
    Kim

21. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Mar 5, 2007

Don't forget the Teacher Next Door program offered through HUD. Sometimes there are really nice houses listed @ 50% off the total cost.

22. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Mar 5, 2007

That's where I'm from too! My house was 73,000. Its an older home (65 yrs), but its in good shape. Its only 1,100 sq. ft. though.

23. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

Have you thought about a foreclosure home? They usually sell for cheaper (at least around here). You might have to do some fixing up, but you could work at it slowly.

24. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 5, 2007

Has anyone here actually bought a foreclosed home? I would like to hear first hand how that is done.

25. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 6, 2007

The house we bought was going to go into foreclosure, so the owners were anxious to sell. It's 1500 sq ft., and we bought it for $145,000 in '98. And like I said earlier, I can't believe it's worth in the $400k's.

26. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 6, 2007

The house next door to me (well, it's the boondocks so it's maybe four lots over) just sold for 89,000. Four bedrooms, full finished basement, three bathrooms. Beautiful limestone house, huge yard, fenced in front. Little shed in back yard. Pond. HUGE kitchen.

27. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Mar 6, 2007

I'll second the vote for East Texas. We bought our 3br/2ba home with 2 car garage and swimming pool 9 years ago for 56K and if we chose to sell it now it would go for around 75 or 80K. I teach in a small district where we are paid 5K above state base. The standard of living is good and the weather is nice most of the time. (If you have a pool in the summer!) I love it here and would only move if I could talk my hubby into living on Galveston Island!

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 6, 2007

I miss East Texas too. We lived in Tyler, Texas---Rose Capital.

29. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 6, 2007

Texas is sounding better and better all the time! I don't know how to buy a foreclosed home. I've looked on the HUD website for California foreclosures--they don't actually sell them, I guess, because there was a hyperlink to click which took me to a realty website. There were only about 10 homes listed. Anyway, the prices were no different. Okay, it makes sense, because the bank or HUD loaned $500,000 for this house and now they want to get it back and then some, right? Too bad.
    Teacher next door, that's something I'd look into maybe in Texas in a small town or something. Here, they are just as someone else said in another post: scary neighborhoods, dilapidated homes, and still outrageously expensive. I have a few friends in law enforcement--they say no way would they buy a "cop next door" house. The program seems kind of mean-spirited, if you think about it. A lot is asked of teachers & cops and a lot is given by us, and this program is only good for unsafe/undesirable neighborhoods. I don't know...:(

30. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Mar 7, 2007

With the TND or OND program, a lot of houses are in "bad" neighborhoods, however there are always some gems found every now and then, especially with the high number of foreclosures in certain areas.

31. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2007

I found a US website (www.seeamerica.org) where you can click on the links to go to official web sites for all states. My class is doing their state reports right now, and the only technology they get at school is taking AR quizzes, so I thought they could use technology for research. Anyway, for those of us who are looking, it might be helpful. :)

32. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2007

January Violet, what are the TND or OND programs?:thanks:

33. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 7, 2007

One thing I think that is a shock for people transplanting to Texas is how far and wide everything is. You don't travel to the nearest tourist town or attraction town for fun. Major cities are further apart. So if you are used to that, it would be something to think about. Another thing that is different is southern states don't "mix" as well as northern (and some other states do). Diversity can be enriching.

34. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Mar 7, 2007

Teacher Next Door, Officer Next Door.

35. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Mar 7, 2007

I looked into TND program - you get the right to enter a lottery to get the chance to buy the house for 50%. You have to live there for x number of years, with proof that you are living there. You cant sell it during that time, or move out, etc. A little too restrictive for me.

On my street at home there are 2 houses for sale - and have been so since August. They refuse to lower the price (the realtor herself is selling it).

On my school's street there are 4 houses for sale (out of about 8 in a row) and 2 houses with foreclosure papers on them.

db

36. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2007

Duhh...:eek:

37. kermy

kermy Companion

Mar 8, 2007

has anyone bought a forclosure house? what are the pros and cons? Thanks =)

38. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2007

I live in a forcolsure home. We got the house, a manufactured house on a full basement, for $124,000. We have 2,087 upstairs and 2,087 downstairs for a total of 4180 sq ft. We have four bedrooms upstairs, two walk in closets in the master, and office in the master and a huge master bath (1/4 of the upstairs is master suite) a huge kitchen/dinning room, a fire place and several sky lights. We also have two more bedrooms in the basement a work out room and a family room. We will eventually have another huge walk in closet and master bath suite down there. We also have 2.64 acres.

We live in MI near the Lake Michigan, about a 15 min drive, out in the country, but not so far from a big city that the house prices are always reasonable. We kept our minds open and looked for months to find the right place.

Forclosures can be a great deal but do your homework, our place had a flooded basement that destroyed the finished work, so the bank tore it out and fixed the leak problem, ask questions and keep looking you will find something......eventually.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2007

One of my neighbors just listed her house. It's pretty much identical to ours: a 3 bedroom cape with a basement and garage on a a 50x100' lot. Hers is listed in the paper for $499,000.

(MIss Frizz: yesterday's Newsday- on "why you should buy this house" in the real estate sect.)

Half a million dollars for a 3 bedroom cape. Insane!!

40. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2007

Alice, I know. :(