Where can kids put their back packs?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by QueenB, Aug 19, 2007.

1. QueenB

QueenB Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I am in a new room where I don't have a space for kids to hang their backpacks all in one central location. Any ideas for storage space? I'm in a portable, and my walls all have either bookshelves, computer tables, or the board on them. I was thinking they could just keep their own back packs under their own chairs, but that may make it hard to move around, get up and down etc. Help Please!

3. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 19, 2007

I'm in a similar situation. I made a "backpack parking zone" in my room and put a piece of tape on the floor with a name on it as a designated spot.

4. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

do you have a big bookshelf where they can stack them in each shelf? thats what the teachers have done in my school who are in portables.

5. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

I bought one of those plastic tubs from wal-mart, and have the students put their backpacks in there. I also have another plastic tub where students can put their jackets.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2007

I was also going to suggest the large plastic tubs...I think they are on sale at Target this week!

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 19, 2007

I got three of those big plastic tubs and numbered them, so that each tub is for about 5 students. That way there's no fighting over whose backpack goes into which tub.

8. QueenB

QueenB Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Awesome idea! I have a couple of those tubs that I used to store my stuff in during the summer. Why didn't I think of that?!?! Thanks all!

9. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

I have had students put their backpacks on the chairs but not with the straps over the shoulder of the chair back but rather, turned sideways with both straps going over the back of the chair. They don't fall off this way and the inside is still accessible. Good luck!

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 19, 2007

I was going to tell the parents not to have their kids bring backpacks to school this year, but the principal nixed that idea! I have to find a place for mine too. No ideas yet. I think they will just have to go in a tub like the other poster said.