where can i get free items?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by liveandlearn, Jan 29, 2008.

1. liveandlearn

liveandlearn New Member

Jan 29, 2008

I heard there is place in Massachusetts that you can go there and get free art items such as ribbon, styrofoam containers, paper, and other assorted materials. Does anyone know the address of this place?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2008

I'm not sure of the particular place you're talking about, but you might consider taking a look at your local Freecycle website. Just google Freecycle.

Also, sometimes businesses are willing to donate classroom supplies to teachers. You can go in and talk with the manager or owner and plead your case. It can't hurt.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 29, 2008

Hmmm, I don't know the address either, but I know RI has something similar. It's in Providence, and if you'd like the address I can post it here. I wonder if most states have something like this? I'm moving south in a few weeks, it would be great if my new home state had a cool place like that.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 29, 2008

On second thought, I don't think the RI one is free after all. I think you pay by weight....but it's super cheap! It's been a long time since I went.

6. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 4, 2008

They do charge by weight at the one in RI. But like Pisces said, it is extremely cheap.

7. shaggymo

shaggymo Rookie

Feb 7, 2008

Hi, the Childrens' Museum in Boston has a great recycling center with all kinds of materials. They do charge for the items, but it's nominal. Good luck. I'd be interested in finding a place in MA with freebies, too!

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Feb 9, 2008

I used to teach Head Start in the Boston area and my director used to go to the place you're talking about with a big van and come back with an entire load of "goodies" for us. The stuff was really awesome. They had rolls of white paper that was sticky on the back and we would make our own stickers for the kids with stamps etc and the kids could make their own stickers. I could go on and on. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the place but I do know it exists :) Somebody out there will know of it and post- don't worry, this site is the best!

9. dianafish

dianafish Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

I wish I could remember the name of the place. I went there two years ago and my preschool is still using all the supplies I got. It is completely hit or miss though. They have bins of scraps and you need to check on their hours.

The place is called "Flexcon". I just remembered what it says on the back of the paper. The website is flexcon.com and they are located in Spencer MA.:up:

10. Dondee123

Dondee123 Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

I just got some stuff from the place in RI, and it was awesome.
    I got stickers, covers, colored dots, etc.

I work at a Y and went to an annual training in RI this past month. The woman who did our Math and Literacy class there had a TON of stuff up for grabs.
    A lot of people who went didn't want it because they work in after school/teen care, etc and they took the class not really knowing what they were getting into. There I was, looking at this huge pile of stuff like it was GOLD. She gave me a premade matching game, we made number books from recycled Styrofoam somethings that looked like books and we still have tons of sticker dots left that have peel backings.
    :D:wub:

11. Dondee123

Dondee123 Rookie