Where can I find X-tra Long dress pants?!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 27, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 27, 2012

I have not purchased pants for work in about 5 years (since I did my student teaching).

The problem is, I need a 35-36" inseam. I used to buy my pants at The Limited, because they could take them out a bit, and they had free hemming. Now it is only free if you use your Limited card, and I don't use credit cards. I purchase my jeans at The Buckle, because they have x-tra longs, but dress pants are so difficult to find. Most longs are only 34", which is way too short (and even those are difficult to find).

I know J.Crew carries them, but the nearest store is over 2 hours away. I could order them online from various stores, but I would rather buy in person, because buying multiple sizes/styles and shipping the ones that do not fit back is a hassle and can get very costly.

Does anyone know any stores, appropriate for a 30-year-old, that sell x-tra long pants? I am so frustrated!

3. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Aug 27, 2012

I used to get some at JCPenney. Not sure if they are over 34", though. I am not real tall, but also have difficulty finding them in talls. Good luck.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

NY&Co have pants in petite, average and tall.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012

Lands End has some pants available in tall and they hem them to how long you'd need.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 27, 2012

I know JCP has a tall catalog, but I'm not sure if they have x-tra longs in the store. I'll have to check them out. NY&Co only has 34 1/2" inseam. :/

I should add that 35" is even pretty short. The perfect length for me is 35 1/2," but some 35" pants fit ok.

7. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Aug 27, 2012

I just bought these and really like them. They come in a regular long (35") and a tall extra long (37"). Not sure if that will work for you though since they don't seem to have a 36".

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=7609500020802&cid=78054&locale=en_US

Edited to add...Just reread and saw you wanted to purchase in the store and not online. I can't vouch for whether these are available in Gap stores or not.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 27, 2012

Some of my tall friends have luck with Old Navy.

Penny's has petite short, petite regular, and petite long. Maybe they have tall long? Its a catalog item, though.

I have a 28" insesm, so I hem everything.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012

I know you said you don't use credit cards, but could you get a Limited card just for the purpose of buying your pants? Many stores will let you put your purchase on the card and then pay it off right there and then.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012

You can pick your inseam at land's end. It looks like at least some styles go up to a 36.

11. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Aug 27, 2012

I just bought two pairs of khaki pants from American Eagle... one in khaki color and one in dark grey. I love them! Very comfortable and not too much of a low rise (which can be a problem for AE). I am tall, 5'8", and have really long legs and these pants are a touch too long. Here's the link to both styles... I don't know if they carry actual dress pants or not but the khaki material ones come in black.

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?productId=1325_2088_213&catId=cat90034

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?productId=1323_2076_020&catId=cat5180042

12. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 27, 2012

My mom is quite tall (around 5'9") and she gets her dress pants at JCPenny's.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 27, 2012

For places like Gap and JCP, you could try on the sizes/fits in store an then order in long. I know JCP will ship free to te store and take catalog returns at store locations. I'm way too short to know about many tall options lol

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Those are cute Rebecca!

15. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Aug 27, 2012

They are so comfy too! I love them because they fit just like their jeans so it is the same 'feel' as wearing jeans.

Forgot to mention that I did have to order these online as talls. But since I knew my size in jeans, I ordered that and they fit great. You could try the regular on in store and then just get talls online.

16. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 27, 2012

I would try Old Navy. They usually have at least a few talls in the store but you can definitely order them online.

17. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 27, 2012

I've had most success with Lane Bryant. I'm 5'10" and have a horrible time finding appropriate inseams. In the past I've lucked out and found ultra-talls at JCP Outlet, which worked great when I wore heels.

Christopher Banks had jeans which fit me well, not sure about dress pants.

Good luck! It's always a nightmare for me.

18. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

I am 6'0 and the only place I have ever found long enough dress pants is at NY and CO. IF you sign up for the emails they will send you coupons all of the time. Good luck!

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

I had no idea AE has xtra longs-that's awesome!

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I'll have to check out JCP. And I never really thought about ordering online and returning to stores.

20. Portulaca

Portulaca Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

I second Gap - pretty sure they cut their talls at 36".

My inseam's a bit shorter (33"), but I usually have the same problem, because 32" seems to be the industry standard for regular pants. To be honest, I've been really enjoying the ankle pants trend for that reason. No one can tell if they're a couple inches shorter than they're "supposed" to be! I know they get a lot of hatred for being silly and/or cutting the legs off visually, but I actually think they usually look very classy in practice. I do find that to make them look right I need to wear a tunic-y shirt, because they're often cut very slim all the way up. Also heels help, although with flats you can kind of manage an Audrey Hepburn look. Or that's what I keep telling myself, at least!