where can I find the math textbook?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by sally0902, Feb 23, 2018.

1. sally0902

sally0902 Rookie

Feb 23, 2018

I want to be a tutor in math in middle school and high school. Since I forgot most of the formulas and definitions, I want to find the official textbook. I googled it, but can not find one. would you please tell me where I can download or the name of the textbook?

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 23, 2018

Find out what textbooks the schools near you use, then look it up on Amazon or Chegg.

4. sally0902

sally0902 Rookie

Feb 23, 2018

Thanks for replying. How can I find out what textbooks the schools near me use? Do I need to go to local school to ask? or are there any websites that I can use?

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 23, 2018

There is no one math textbook that covers all of middle school and high school math. Just in the high school we have Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, Pre-calc, Calc, Stats, and Discrete Math all in different books, and sometimes even different books between CP and Honors/AP. Add into that the middle grades, and you've got quite a few books!!

I would try to figure out what topic you will be tutoring the student on to Google more specific information on that topic.

6. sally0902

sally0902 Rookie

Feb 23, 2018

Thank you so much! I get it

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 24, 2018

Hi, sally0902. I know you're taking CBEST, so I infer that you're in California. To get a good overview of how California now intends math to be taught, have a look at both the Common Core State Standards in math - don't forget to download the lower grades, too, since math instruction does build on topics previously covered - and the Framework that fleshes out the standards and makes connections to other areas of the curriculum. Both Standards and Framework are available for downloading from the California Department of Education, www.cde.ca.gov, under the Curriculum and Instruction tab. I haven't checked lately, so I don't recall whether the individual chapters of each have been stitched into a single pdf yet, but at worst you'll be downloading a series of docs. Do please download both Standards and Framework.

For your own math review, look through the Single Subject Tests subforum - like the Basic Skills Tests subforum in which the CBEST threads appear, it's under the Examinations for Teachers forum here. Lots of possibilities exist, because no two people learn math (or anything else) exactly the same way.

You could also search www.freetech4teachers.com to see whether the ever-helpful Richard Byrne has anything that might be useful for you.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2018

You can also go to Khan academy online for a refresher on most topics.

9. sally0902

sally0902 Rookie

Feb 24, 2018

thank you!

10. sally0902

sally0902 Rookie

Feb 24, 2018

Yes, exactly! thank you so much! this is very helpful!
    thank you!