Where can I find elementary-level info about luxury cars?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bored of Ed, May 21, 2013.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 21, 2013

Trying to do a research project with a kid. I need to do all the searching because there's no internet access in school :| Meant to do it today but I was out all day and came home so wiped out... And now I'm finding it not as easy as I was hoping it would be.

We ("we") want to know the history of various cars/companies and some details about how they are made. Not regular cars, he is talking about the most exclusive cars, some of which only a few were ever made, some a few hundred...? Can you tell this is not my usual area of expertise?! I could use written media as well as pictures and videos, reading and comprehension level around 5-6 grade but short attention span (I'd say I need to limit it to page-long chunks or less)

I'm off to continue searching myself but meanwhile sending forth the call here in case anyone knows of a resource I don't find. :yawn:

Thanks in advance!

3. bros

bros Phenom

May 21, 2013

Honestly, use google.

Go to wikipedia also.

Look at pages cited. They'll lead to a wealth of information.

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 21, 2013

Hope you got some sleep!

Interesting topic!

I wonder if the actual deals have websites with their history about their cars? Hmm....now you got me thinking of what the history of a minicooper is; not that its a luxury car by any means.

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 21, 2013

I've been googling away! Just wishing there were something perfect out there that I didn't know about.

The companies' websites are pretty nice but a lot are Flash-type so I don't know how to access that offline, they wouldn't print well. Wikipedia itself is not easy enough reading. The references from Wikipedia aren't helping much, either.

It's better than nothing, but I wish I could find something written FOR kids about this. Will keep trying.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 21, 2013

Does it have to be the internet? I feel like my public library probably has some books on sports cars or Ferrari's or something that might have information about more rare cars in it.

7. Ms B IL

Ms B IL Rookie

May 21, 2013

Would it be possible for you to take the information from Wikipedia and re-write it in small and easy enough chunks for him to read? It might be a bit more work than your are looking for, but in the end might be faster and more effective than continuing to search.

There are also a bunch of classic car books, but I'm not sure about reading level. I browsed a book at Barnes and Noble in the bargain area last week that had a title along the lines of "Cars that Changed the World" and it had some of the information you might be interested in.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 21, 2013

You are asking teachers where to find info on luxury cars? That might be like asking a lawyer where to find info on honesty.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 21, 2013

Ha! Ha! Ha!
    Some of us drive luxury cars, SO we might know some inside info!
    Get in touch with some car dealerships who sell the luxies.
    Rebel1

10. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 23, 2013

iteachbx, I feel like library books aren't updated nearly often enough for today's world. It's a thought, but I don't really have time for the library.

Ms B IL, I think next time I will get my act together earlier and do that! This time I needed it by Tuesday. (And then my internet went down all week and I couldn't even check here) I ended up with a couple of news items, a few company websites, and wikipedia. The ones we got to were, as I had feared, quite above the student's comprehension level. And the video I found and spent a whole morning downloading, didn't work. Argh.

Readingrules, that's my problem!

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 24, 2013

I've checked out library books for my kids about the BP Oil Spill, the Earthquake in Haiti and Hurricane Sandy. That's pretty up to date as far as I'm concerned! I guess it depends on your library.