Where are we going?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 29, 2009

I am part of a group of teachers that meets a couple of times a year for a technology conference. We talk a lot about where technology is taking the world of education and I wanted your thoughts.

We talked a couple of weeks ago about the possibilities of Facebook in the classroom. Yes, it's a long way off and Facebook has to put some privacy policies in place, but can you imagine extending student learning into something they are interested in? Can you imagine the types of discussions you could have if you were aloud to post questions and get answers 24/7?
    We've also talked quite a bit about cell phones in the classroom. Many teachers can not get past the "cheating" aspect of cell phones but what if children were taught to use them properly. It's their way of communicating, why not meet them in their communication zone and teach them the way they want to learn? Besides that, why not interest them in learning by using things they are interested in?

I just wanted to know what you all thought about this?

3. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 29, 2009

I would love to. Just imagine, you create a Facebook event for a field trip. It's got all the information, you invite parents and students to join, everyone discusses on the board, and then when it's done, you post pictures and/or video. Show me another website where you can do that!

Of course, you have genuine concerns about privacy, issues with friending students on Facebook, etc.

I used a cell phone in a lesson a couple weeks ago and it went over OK. It's going to take a lot more to sell me on that method of learning than Facebook.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2009

There currently are lots of school filter friendly ways to do online discussions. Blogs, school websites like Blackboard or similar online learning systems used by schools are all pretty widely accessible. Facebook may have a lot of convenient components all grouped together, but similar functionality can be pieced together elsewhere with a little know how.