Where are they needing teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cali*teacher, Aug 25, 2012.

1. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Aug 25, 2012

What areas in the US are needing teachers?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 26, 2012

Inner city areas in Texas (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio) still have a need for teachers.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 26, 2012

Not in my state where they are the highest paying districts. Every market is different. Here there is no easy area to get in. Even Charter and Catholic schools get tons of unsolicited resumes when they don't have any postings.

5. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

I think it really varies from state to state and area to area.

As the other poster said inner-city areas usually are looking for teachers, but also (in general) there is a major shortage of teachers for rural areas.

If you extend your search off the beaten path, you'll have a lot better luck finding a job. Again, how far away from suburbia the rural district would have to be would depend on the area. You'd probably have to go way out in states without much adverse weather, perhaps hours, whereas snow-filled states, and places where the roads get pretty bad - probably 45 min to an hour out would have pretty good job prospects.

I think if you're willing to relocate, anywhere is good. However, if you're looking for where they're hiring "suburban" teachers in mass, I think you'll find there's tons of competition for those jobs everywhere.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

Kids come Monday where I am. Right now, it will be hard to find a job anywhere. If you picked a region a few months ago, I think the plains states were the neediest area.

Cali, I thought you couldn't relocate because of family? Has your situation changed?

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 26, 2012

I just checked Edjoin, and there were jobs posted just last week for kindergarten teachers, English teachers, and science teachers here in the Central Valley.

8. gregoire

gregoire Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

I was told to look into North Dakota, especially Williston, because of the oil boom. However, I just heard they overestimated and have a lot less students than expected. So I don't know if there is really anywhere that is going to have a great need for teachers.

Although, California is not where I want to stay there are quite a few possibilities, as someone mentioned in the Central Valley. Some of the cities have very high crime, but you figure out which parts of the city to stay out of. I'm near Stockton and it's one big mess. The city declared bankruptcy, but there are always jobs posted for some charter schools and some public ones as well.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 26, 2012

Not Wisconsin, unless you're willing to teach in Milwaukee. That's what I hear, at least...

10. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 27, 2012

Depends on what you are looking for. If you prefer teaching in the inner-city/the outskirts of the city; DC/MD is the place to be.