Where are the kids?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CFClassroom, Jul 1, 2012.

1. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 3, 2012

My kids are spend lots of the day at the town pool, but we do have lots of kids in our neighborhood, and most days they are all out back meeting up with each other. We have a lovely neighborhood like that :0

2. harun55

harun55 Rookie

Jul 3, 2012

At my place kids prefer parks to play as every colony has minimum on park and it's a best deal for kids.

3. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2012

DITTO!
    During the day, even on weekends, kids are with care givers.
    This last week our neighbor kids were at summer school, or VBS, or basketball camp, or bracelet making at the library. I took my sons fishing one day, a public pool another, and painted the youth room at church.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 3, 2012

I also have noticed that kids do not play outside anymore. When I was growing up, we were always outside.

5. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 3, 2012

Look no further! They're here in my neighborhood and run across the field of my backyard to get from point A to point B, and C then D, and over to E. My kids taught the neighborhood kiddos how to "snipe hunt" this summer...that's been entertaining!

We live in a some what rural community--cows, horses, and chickens mixed in with new development housing. It happens when the city and county are making up their minds on what's what in a small town. And the parks in the greater area give out free lunches to kids 0-18 during lunch time, so it's peaceful, uhm, quiet for that part of the day. :)

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 3, 2012

:haha: I hear ya..my back yard seems like the Indy 500, with being the last of the houses to not have fencing. We might consider it as the neighborhood grows though...

7. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 4, 2012

I know neighborhoods go through cycles, but that said, kids today just don't play outside in the neighborhoods as much. Many are involved in sports/sports camps. Their lives are more regimented than ours were. Many kids are not allowed out during the day while parents are working, or they choose (are allowed) to stay inside to play video games, watch TV, etc.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 4, 2012

There are a bunch were I live that are out all the time. But it's usually an older crowd.

When I was little, I would walk a half a mile to the park each day to have adventures, and would even bring strange women and teenagers home when I was 4. Probably not the best of ideas to let your 4-5 year old wandering around a park half a mile away from home at night alone. xD Most of our play (me, my sister, and the kids across the street) occurred in our backyard. Then we hit age 11-12, and the N64 and PS1 came out, and every day after that was spent in front of a television screen. Kind of sad really.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2012

They're in my parking lot :)

It's really too hot for them to be outside right now - I hear them out early in the morning, then they disappear to the pool when it starts to heat up. After dinner, they're back outside. The little ones next door are at day camp for a couple of weeks.

10. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jul 4, 2012

My area has many young families where most of the houses have at least one kid. Many of them are my students. Yet on an average day, regardless of the weather, the streets and yards are empty. Where is everyone?

The answer: playing video games or watching television (not the History Channel). How do I know this? I ask my students what they are doing and my own kids tell me what the other kids are doing in the neighborhood.

We live in an area that is perfect for children to be outdoors having fun with other children. But I guess the consensus seems to veto that idea.
    Sad.

11. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 11, 2012

They are outside in our street playing! :) We bought a home in this neighborhood because we saw kids playing outside all the time!

Granted our son is only 17 months, haha! He loves to sit outside on the grass and watch the bigger kids (ages 5-11) play! :)

12. RealThing

RealThing Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

Playing video games inside where it's cool is a preference with a lot of kids my son knows.

13. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 11, 2012

I have two little ones (3 and 1.5) but you will not see us outside! It is way too hot and the mosquitoes are insane this year.

We're spending our days at the library, the indoor playground at the mall, our local Museum of Science and History, the Zoo (in their splash park!) and anywhere else we can have fun and cool off. On the weekends we usually the beach or pool. Our house is tiled and we even brought their tricycles inside a few days ago so they can ride around. :)

14. Blackberry_Girl

Blackberry_Girl Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

I notice this too. My dd is only 3 and while we have a swingset and pool, etc, I take her to a variety of playgrounds (schools and community centers) and we are frequently the only ones there. There are kids in our neighborhood and lately NONE of them are ever outside playing which could be in part due to family vacations and/or the hot weather. I think it's also cyclical. When we moved here there were a bunch of kids in the neighborhood, then there were a few years where it seemed like there were no kids at all, we never even got a single trick or treater at halloween b/c there were so few kids then suddenly it seems like there are a tons of kids in our neighborhood again.