Where are the jobs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by livelaughteach, Jul 1, 2008.

1. livelaughteach

livelaughteach Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

I grad. in 2001 with my elementary ed. degree. I live in Southern Illinois. I am trying to get myself willing to relocate. I am single and ready to plant some roots. I love warm weather. Where should I look for a job? Thanks for any help!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2008

Las Vegas!! Seriously Clark County is always looking for teachers. Cassie (one of the members) can give you a link. There are also places in North Carolina that are hiring for teachers, but don't know where specifically. Good luck!

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2008

As STG said, Vegas is happening.

Also, there are LOTS of openings in the Houston area -- with Houston ISD and the surrounding ISDs, so you have you choice of big city or small town schools. The pay is good and stipends for bilingual/ESL/math/science abound.

Here's a list of Harris County (Houston) area schools:
    http://www.hcde-texas.org/default.aspx?name=schoolDistricts

School districts serving Galveston County communities are:
    Clear Creek ISD
    Dickinson ISD
    Friendswood ISD
    Galveston ISD
    High Island ISD
    Hitchcock ISD
    La Marque ISD
    Santa Fe ISD
    Texas City ISD

Job opening examples:
    http://hr1.springbranchisd.com/jobs...fication=Certified&positionstatus=Open&-find=

http://www.alief.isd.tenet.edu/administrative_services/hr/vacancies.htm

Plus, we are on the Gulf coast so there are lots of beaches, and we're only 150 miles away from Austin and six hours from Mexico.

Good luck!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2008

If you sign-up at http://teachers-teachers.com they'll list many different school districts that hiring all over the country. It's free and it's actually how I got my new job. Most districts make you fill out their applications, also, but it's a great place to start. Good luck!

6. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 1, 2008

I live in NC and it is not so easy here to get a teaching job. Yes there are areas however you have to be willing to take the job that has high turnover every year.

If there is a specific area of NC you are interested in please feel free to PM and I can help.

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2008

Killeen ISD in Texas hires around 500 new teachers every year. Killeen is just north Austin, Texas and is known for serving Fort Hood.

8. greenfrog

greenfrog New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Just to let you all know, Las Vegas is in the middle of a hiring freeze except for high school high needs areas, and special ed. It isn't the job paradise it used to be.

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 1, 2008

That's what I heard just recently too!

10. SPED32

SPED32 Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

Alot of places now are experiencing budget cuts. There are even states thate need teachers that are experiencing hiring freezes. But just because this is happening, it doesn't mean that places won't be scrabbling to find teachers right as school is about to start. So just try to get in where you fit in.

Best of luck to you!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2008

Yep, they just announced this a couple of weeks ago! :eek:

It's not like we don't need teachers....Evidently, the state just can't afford to pay them, so we won't get them.

What they're doing now is no longer accepting new applications. If you've already applied, I believe they are still going through with the interviewing process and will offer jobs as appropriate.

It's killing me that our governor messed up our budget on such a massive scale because we need teachers. Last year we were short by over 500!

12. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2008

Here in California, too. Last year they needed a lot of new teachers, this year, zippo!! Hang in there.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

One cannot blame the governor of a state alone for the budget. The legislature passes a budget billl that the governor signs. The governor has input into the process, but he doesn't control it. His choice is to sign or not (and in California veto line items). In California, the electorate is part of the process through the initiative and referendum processes. Part of our problem goes back to Proposition 13, a initiative which changed the way property taxes are collected and distributed. And of course, the courts play a part by requiring states to fund certain programs.

Hiring in, parts at least of, California seems to be similar to past years. Where I am, the districts are starting to list lots of jobs and call people in for interviews. The districts that aren't doing this have declining enrollment. Happens every summer...

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2008

Oh, I do blame the governor for the mess in Nevada.

15. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

Would you like to trade governors?

Looking at the mess in Nevada, I was wondering, did some of California's politicians who lost their jobs because of term limits move to Nevada?

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2008

Come north to Chicago. We have jobs in city and suburbs. I have been in Head Start, and looking around, there are plenty of opportunities. They have options in Chicago Public Schools for magnet, charter and turnaround schools. They are having a job fair July 31st. I went to the last job fair, and they have over 600 schools!!!

http://www.cps-humanresources.org/

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Elementary & High School Fair

McCormick Place
    West—Level 3
    2301 S. Lake Shore Drive
    Chicago, Illinois 60616

Time: 12:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Each county in IL has it's own superintendent. Once you are certified, you can register your certificate for any county where you wish to work. Some suburban towns have as many as 4 districts.

Before you leave home, look in your back yard... :D Think about where you want to live. Big city or small town. Around family or make new friends? It wouldn't hurt to sign up as a sub for a few districts while you are looking. That way, if you don't decide to relocate, you can make some money before you find the perfect job. And, worse case scenario..if you move and it doesn't work out, you can come back and you will already be in the system.

17. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 7, 2008

Oh I certainly blame the governor here. Let's cut taxes but I promise to hold education harmless. Yeah right! Now we have lost millions in education funding and with the declining tax rolls we will lose more. It's a really sad state of affairs.