Where are the jobs at???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Learner4Life, May 15, 2008.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 15, 2008

So I see several people on here searching and searching and SEARCHING for jobs. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a place where the compitition isn't so high, where they're hiring teachers all the time... Where is this magical place?
    (I know there was a similar thread to this but I can't find it)

3. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 15, 2008

P.S. I know Vegas and surrounding area is always on the lookout.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 15, 2008

:lol: I was just going to post that!

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 15, 2008

HA! Maybe that's the only place!

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 15, 2008

Someone come to Atlanta...they are hiring...and I need some company ;)

7. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

May 15, 2008

There was a story on CA's NPR. They're building billboards in LA and the Bay Area to lure the layoffs to Las Vegas and Fort Worth, TX.

I did my first year in the middle of nowhere, and I don't regret it. I have the experience, I did everything on the cheap (and saved thousands on residential startup costs like bedding, furniture, teaching gear), and I don't get the raised eyebrows at my first interview when I was unemployed for a year. Holes in your resume make employers think the applicant is a brat who still lives with his/her parents.

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 15, 2008

I'm not sure there is a magical place, unless you are willing to relocate. For those of us unable to relocate, it's tough. It was tough 12yrs. ago when I was first in the market, and it's even tougher now. I have the experience and I am still not getting any responses to my efforts. I really think it may come down to subbing/aiding in the districts in order to get full-time teaching positions.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2008

I know NC is hiring teachers. I can't relocate. :(

10. nycpeach

nycpeach Rookie

May 15, 2008

I'm about to start looking in Atlanta! I sent in an online app for a school in Buckhead two weeks ago but nothing yet. I want to apply to other schools on the site but it seems you have to fill the entire app out for each position. I have three kids under 4 and cant seem to find the time to regurgitate the same info 10x.

I'm lucky to get on this site when I can. Do you know if they hire with no prior teaching experience, other than tutoring for many years while in college?

I have already started looking in East GA (three hours from Atlanta) where I have a house as well.

11. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

May 15, 2008

Depends on your subject, IMO. I had my hat in the GA ring last year, and they never stopped calling. I would cross-reference your search with the ISU job fair attendees, they recruit heavily there.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 15, 2008

Fill out the online application for the district. Then send coverletter and resume to the schools within that district. Make sure each coverletter is customized for the school. I pretty much just changed the names and schools in mine.

Keep your answeres to questions in a word document so you can copy and paste them as needed into applications. It is a pain...that is for sure.

Best of luck to you. :hugs:

13. nycpeach

nycpeach Rookie

May 15, 2008

That is an excellent idea lemonhead. When I did the first app I didnt save anything in Word b/c I thought for sure my info would be there when I put my username and password in, but NOTHING! :unsure: I went to apply to other schools but then you have to put EVERYTHING in all over again. Uuuuggghh!

Ok, I will do that with the cover and resume. That is exactly what I did with the schools in East GA. Just changed names, addresses and schools, too. Thanks!

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 15, 2008

Right now I'm trying to decide where to move if I cant find a job in this area. I'm looking pretty seriously at Maryland, there seems to be a good amount of jobs there and if I wanted to go home for a weekend every now and then it would be feasable. If this doesn't work out for me there also I'm also looking at: North Carolina, Arizona, Nevada (which was already mentioned) and parts of Virginia. From what I can tell at least parts of these states need teachers.

15. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 15, 2008

I was given a non-renewal letter. So I am back in the hunt again. :( The job market here is pretty dismal. We're not really growing anymore. Florida is no longer the hot spot it was.

16. nycpeach

nycpeach Rookie

May 15, 2008

Sorry to hear that! I think I read on here that Manatee area has openings. Good luck in your search.

17. glenn

glenn Rookie

May 15, 2008

Definitely jobs here in the Phoenix metro area. PM me if you want suggestions for districts that will be hiring.

18. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

May 15, 2008

It seems to be in North Carolina, but I know it's not always possible for people to relocate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for those of you searching in competitive areas.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2008

I"m sorry to hear this. :hugs: Was this a surprise?

20. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 15, 2008

:thanks: I'm certified ELL, Elem Ed and ESE. I got the ESE this year as a back-up. Hopefully that will help.

21. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

May 15, 2008

Me too, and I'm also in Florida! The kicker is that I knew way back in December that I definitely did not want to return to the school!!! So when they gave us the paper to indicate whether or not we would return, I checked "No, I will not be returning" or whatever the paper said because I've had a horrid time at this school. Wouldn't ya know they still had the nerve to give me the non-renewal!!!!!!! :woot:
    I took it to the AP (biotch!) and said "Is this necessary?" because I thought I'd already indicated that I did not want to return to their school!!!!!! She said until they had an official resignation letter, I still had to be considered in the budget! Wish I'd known that! I'd have given them their **** letter! I sent a resignation letter to HR stating that it was a follow up to the other paper where I indicated I was not planning on returning to the school! I am moving back to NC to teach with a friend of mine from college :2up: Everyone come join the fun in NC! Get the @#% out of Florida!!!!!!!!

22. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

May 15, 2008

Have you been searching for 12 years?? It's been a year for me and subbing hasn't helped me get anywhere near a F/T job.

23. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 15, 2008

No...it took me a 1 1/2 to land my first job, which I had for six years. I have been home now for four yrs. raising my boys. I am trying to get back in the game, and finding it just as difficult, and I have more qualifications and experience, go figure?!

24. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

May 15, 2008

Yes, I don't understand it either!!!!!!!! Very frustrating.:confused:

25. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

May 15, 2008

Illinois has been ungodly for trying to find a job in elementary ed and in some of the midddle level and high school subjects. I'm in a position where I rent, so I can move. I subbed for a year and then did a job search three summers in a row. Each time, I would get hired near the beginning of school in August, and then get dumped at the end of the year with a slew of the other new teachers due to budget constraints.

This is now summer four of job searching and I've been at it since I got my release letter back in March. Last year, I applied to over 150 places, went on twenty-something interviews, and got two offers in August the week before school started. I swear, if this happens again, where I'm hired near the end of summer, have wonderful evaluations, and then get dumped again at the end of the school year because the board doesn't want the school to have to pay the new hires more, I am going to change careers.

I love teaching, but having to look for a new position every year when I'm getting good reviews and having a great year with the kids seems insane. I've also heard a lot of places are dumping teachers right before they'd have been offered tenure. That must suck as well.

Lovely state, Illinois :rolleyes: