where are the job postings?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by brandy, Aug 14, 2009.

1. brandy

brandy Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

I have been reading about people going on these last minute interviews, all of a sudden seeing at least 5 job postings that they are applying for. I don't understand because i am still seeing nothing. No last minute job postings and certainly not a bunch of postings. I live in the northeast, maybe the regions are different but i never seem to see the flood of last minute job postings. oh, well, good luck to those who are.

3. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

yeah there havent been many around here either. ive probably seen about 5 elementary teacher jobs posted in the last 3-4 weks and a bunch of aide jobs. ive kind of stopped looking now that i've been offered an aide job. i just want to be able to enkpy the rest of my summer and not spend hours every day looking and applying and such. and ill be going in the sign my contract next week so thats really not enough time to apply, interview and get a position anyway. sooo i guess thats it for me this year!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2009

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

School doesn't start for another week where I'm at and there haven't been any new postings apart from one or two this past Monday. Maybe there will be more a couple weeks into the school year when enrollment numbers are more finalized.

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 14, 2009

The local districts in my area were all on freezes up until about two weeks ago so while it looks like a lot it's really all the hiring they wanted to do but couldn't until now.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

Nothing here in Southern California, I check Edjoin and a bunch of other sites, as well as the local paper every day! Hang in there!

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I hear you Brandy. I can't even complain about being rejected because there are no jobs from which I can be rejected.
    There are no postings in my area at all.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2009

In NJ, it's worth checking out www.njhire.com

I look at the 'classified' ads just for interest. The overall number of listings for ANY kind of job are WAY down- less than half a page in our biggest county paper....there used to be a special 'education' jobs listing on Thursdays but it seems that they aren't doing that right now. I see VERY few education openings- the ones I do see tend to be the 'hard to fill' kinds of jobs or non-traditional kinds of schools or aide/para kinds of listings and those are few and far between at best!:sorry:

10. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Aug 14, 2009

For NJ, check the classified on this site and do a keyword search for 'teacher':
    http://www.nj.com/jobs/

New York City is a mess, and the alternative certification folks are screwed. The kids in the New York Teaching Fellows program have finished their pre-service training and most of them will NOT be able to find any jobs due to the hiring freeze. What really sucks is that a bunch of them quit their non-education jobs, moved to NYC with the hopes of doing good work in poor under performing schools and are now stuck without any work...
    :mad:

From my understanding, the TFA kids originally assigned to New York City have been moved over to Newark and other nearby urban districts due to the freeze... Bad times.

11. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 14, 2009

I think the job postings are in pockets...I live in Middle TN and there are openings in my county (10 posted yesterday for certified teachers) but in other counties nothing or they laid off teachers. I feel fortunate to have openings and possibilities because we move from Broward County, FL and there would have been NO hope at all of me getting a job as a new teacher.

12. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I am in CT and haven't seen much of anything here the last week or two. I tried emailing a ton of principals saying "I know you are reconsidering class sizes..." to no avail, too. I also check Vermont, and they have had some (a lot of aide jobs), but I am only interested in the Burlington area if I were to move there. Each state seems to have one or two main websites. If you are in VT, definitely check schoolspring.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2009

The postings are dying down in my area (Upstate NY), but I just started to get calls for interviews. I think that there are a few jobs available, but a lot of districts around here don't post positions, because they get more than enough cold applications. This time of year especially places want to fill opening quickly and will many times go with whatever is on file (unless it is district that is required to post positions per the teacher contract).