Where are the elem. teaching jobs?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cali*teacher, Sep 27, 2012.

1. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Sep 27, 2012

Any states and areas that have a higher need for teachers?

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 27, 2012

Which part of CA are you located?

4. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Sep 27, 2012

Southern CA. I just received my Multiple Subjects credential. I substitute teach, but would be so nice to have my own classroom! However, on the bright side I am getting a lot of tools and tricks, and ideas from other teachers and classrooms as I substitute teach.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 27, 2012

Things here in CA are ugly.

On a happy note, though, you're subbing and getting your face out there! Really good subs are as valuable as gold!

One of my friends (who is also a substitute teacher) did a long term sub for a co-worker of mine last year (she subbed for about 3/4 of the year). She ended up landing a full-time job this year in my district because everyone absolutely loved her and my principal took notice of what a strong teacher she is!

Keep subbing and let people know you're interested in long term positions, too, because you're fully credentialed.

6. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 27, 2012

Not to be a buzz kill, but they're certainly not located in SoCal...

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2012

I do not think Northern California has very many either.

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 28, 2012

Uh, I strongly disagree. Gold is currently more than $105 (the per day income of subs). :p

To the OP,
    I'm one of the best teachers in my district(s). Still, I'm kept out of the classroom. I've been subbing since '08, with little gigs (LTS, Resource) interspersed throughout. It's an exercise in humility.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

There are some elementary jobs in Nevada.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 2, 2012

I have heard the Atlanta area is hiring.

11. HelloLove

HelloLove Rookie

Oct 3, 2012

I recently moved to Florida (from NY..aka the land of shutting down entire schools) and was hired pretty quickly. The starting salary is lower than NY and most other states, but I don't have to sub anymore! :) Good luck.

12. rockie

rockie New Member

Nov 29, 2012

Without a respected ESL certifications online, your job opportunities are limited. Don’ts settle for an average low-paid teaching job. Be TEFL certified so you can work anywhere you want.

13. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Nov 29, 2012

This. NY is an AWFUL place to try and find a teaching job. The only reason they haven't shut down the schools here (NCLB watchlist for like 3yrs) is because they are the ONLY schools in this area.

They are opening a new charter school, though. That'll interesting.

To the OP: Go online and check "high needs elementary teaching positions" and I'm sure you'll find something. I plan on moving to NC. Like HelloLove said, the pay is less than NY (and probably CA) but if it means the job you want and love, it may be worth it. There's also the fact that southern states may pay less, but they cost less to live there, too.... :2cents:

14. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Dec 2, 2012

Sorry, I haven't been on these forums in a while. HelloLove, congrats on your getting a job in Florida! What districts in Florida are needing teachers? At this point I would be willing to move. Missy, I will check into Atlanta as well. I would be willing to move there as well. I did not work hard to get my credential to not have a job in this profession. I truly love elementary teaching!

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 3, 2012

But we just passed Prop 30... that means we saved education! *sarcasm*

16. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2012

Well keep up the exercises because humility isn't your strong suit.

17. Sincere

Sincere Rookie

Dec 3, 2012

Hmm, I'm in the Atlanta area and it took me about 8 months to get my own classroom. Granted, I didn't sub from the beginning. Many of the jobs in the district I live in (but don't teach in) are filled before they're even put up online. I can't begin to tell you how many schools I went to drop a resume off at the same day the posting was uploaded only to hear "oh the P is interviewing today/tomorrow." There are a lot of postings up right now, though, so if you're persistent, you'll probably land something in a few months. Good luck on your potential move!

18. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 4, 2012

A CA credential won't cut it in NV anymore. I've tried. NV requires three additional units in Language Arts. Since the CA credential programs only offer what is required, one would theoretically have to move out to NV, enroll in a teacher program and take the additional class.

Believe me, I've looked into this. I'm in SoCal and would love to move to Clark County, but unless I win the lottery or get an inhertiance from a long-lost rich uncle, the money to get set up is just not available. I'm hoping that if the need continues, NV will go back to their old system of giving a temporary license and only requiring a state constitution class be taken within a year.

19. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 4, 2012

I got my CA MS credential four years ago and I'm still subbing. I've had several long terms, but contract positions are just not out there. Ive even spoken to principals who say they'd love to bring in new people and spread out the class load, but they just can't. (Yesterday I subbed in a 4/5 combo with 37 students). This year, my favored district hired one teacher. Count...ONE new body. Surrounding districts are not much better.

I have seen jobs posted out in the desert areas like Yermo and down close to the Mexico border. If you want to go super rural, you might find something. Otherwise, just hang on like the rest of us and do the best you can.

20. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Dec 4, 2012

I am in the Atlanta area and there are no jobs here. I have been looking for a couple of years. Going back to school for endorsements now to beef up my resume. The schools here had increased class sizes for the last 5 years, which have left thousands of teachers without jobs. In Fulton County the teachers haven't had a raise in 6 years. They are happy to have jobs, but it is disappointing to be frozen at the same wage for so many years.

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 5, 2012

Cali teacher, you may consider applying to charters. I graduated last December and am teaching at a charter in socal and I absolutely love it. Our admin is great and the other teachers are wonderful. Charters get bad press on these forums and elsewhere sometimes, but they are not all the same and if you do your research you can find some good ones. Just something to consider. Good luck to you! :)

22. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Dec 6, 2012

They are certainly not here in NJ.

23. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Dec 6, 2012

Many Florida districts hire. Not the greatest place to teach, maybe, but there are jobs. Go to teachinflorida or FLDOE ad they have listings.