Where Are Jobs and When Are They Hiring?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FCLaura, Feb 20, 2010.

1. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Feb 20, 2010

Hi Fellow Teachers,
    My husband and I are both teachers/student teachers very seriously considering moving to another state. The economy has been very cruel to teachers lately, and we would appreciate any advice or information that you could give us. We would prefer to go somewhere rural-ish in a state/area that has plenty of trees. We are currently living in Washington State, and there is more talk of budget cuts and layoffs. Neither of us has a full-time gig at the moment. I am Elementary K-8, he is high school English and Science. What is the job market like in other states, and when do districts hire? We are particularly interested in these states (although any state that's hiring sounds good, too):

Vermont Mississippi
    Maine Alabama
    New York (upstate, not NYC) Pennsylvania
    Louisiana Massachusetts
    Tennessee California (northern)
    Kentucky Texas (the parts with trees)
    New Hampshire Missouri
    Montana West Virginia
    Colorado Minnesota
    North Carolina Wisconsin
    South Carolina Virginia

Also, if you could tell us anything about how the state pays (state wide pay scale, by districts, merit pay, etc.) we would really appreciate it! Thank you so much for your help.

P.S. If your state isn't on this list but you want to tell me about it, I would be glad to hear it!

3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 20, 2010

Would this site help in your search?
    http://www.k12jobspot.com/elementary-jobs

I am from Illinois. There are some trees depending on where you go. Around us is mostly corn fields. I don't think very many school districts are hiring in Illinois. The State is so far behind paying the schools as it is right now. Well anyway, Good luck in your search.

4. isthisrob

isthisrob Rookie

Feb 20, 2010

Stay away from New Jersey

We have a budget crisis and our new Republican governor wants to cut state aid. I'm not working now, and I think it will be a few years before I work again.

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2010

In Tennessee, they are talking about it taking 4 years instead of 3 to get tenure, and even after that your job will be dependent on test scores (up to 50%). I personally wouldn't move here now, but maybe someone else will offer reasons :)

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 20, 2010

Same boat here, TS. I personally doubt it is any better anywhere else... which makes me procrastinate on getting myself out there (i.e. seems like running against the wind, uphill, with no shoes).

I noticed that you were from Washington, and I was under the impression that your state was better off than most, fiscally. (I actually recently applied in Everett, WA, just to be in their applicant pool. Any opinion on this area? And bear in mind, I'm saying by comparison: all states are not where they'd like).

I can't imagine how I (or you ;)) could, say... apply in Biloxi MS, amongst loads of other candidates including local talent, and get a look-see. I hate to paint a negative picture--you know you never will if you don't try... I'm just trying to be realistic, which maybe in this day & age isn't a good thing.

Go for broke!

7. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Feb 20, 2010

Colorado is no better than everywhere else. Every district is eliminating positions and cutting budgets left and right.

8. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 20, 2010

PA is awful!! Don't come here.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2010

California ... we are in a big financial mess here. BUT, your husband could probably find a job teaching science - especially in the larger districts.

We don't have a K-8 here. It's either Elementary K-5 or Secondary 6-12 (sometimes 6th grade is grouped with Elementary if they are in the same classroom all day). Nonetheless, you'll have a tough time finding a job in Elementary in California. You'd have to see how to transfer your credential, but if you could pass our math or science subject matter test, you could probably find a job in 6-8 teaching one of those subjects.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 20, 2010

I've found many job openings in the San Francisco Bay area in the last few years, but I was also open to private and charter schools. I have no idea what this spring will hold.

I suggest looking at edjoin.org and calwest.com. Both are very helpful with listings. Oh-and never underestimate Craigslist in this area-HUGE source of listings.

Oh-and I had a k-8 certification from MI, and it transferred to CA. They don't give them here, but they recognize them and will give you a CA certificate for it.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2010

There are parts in TX that would welcome your husband teaching science with open arms. :) Elementary is somewhat tougher, but normally districts in TX (the ones I've been involved with) tend to help out spouses get jobs in the same district.

I'm not from NJ, never lived there at all, but even I know that the market is tough in the state, even if you have a perfect record and glowing recommendations.

12. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 20, 2010

What about in Newark? I assumed they would have alot of openings since they use teach for america.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 21, 2010

I would say there are many areas it would take years to find a job in-check out some of the heartbreaking posts in the Job Searchers forum area. As a former resident, I'd say Michigan could give you a run for your money if you don't have an 'in'.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 21, 2010

It took me five years to find an elementary position in Maine. I would move until you have secured a job.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2010

There are probably inner-city pockets in every state where there are job openings. Students in such destitute areas deserve great teachers...how many are willing to teach there though?

16. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Feb 21, 2010

I don't know if Washington is actually any better off. It sure seems like we're in the toilet. The state is talking about more budget cuts, and at least one of the bigger districts around here didn't get their levy passed. Last year my old principal told me that he and other principals had 100+ applicants for each of the positions in their district. I think it is one of the less desirable districts, so other districts probably have more applicants. I've heard Edmonds (right next to Everett) was closer to 200+ for each position.

With Everett SD you put in the application, and then they do a round of screening interviews. If you pass the screening interview, then you're in their pool, but you don't necessarily have a job. I hate the pools that many districts use now because you have no idea how many openings are in each district or where they are, so you can't send resumes or letters of interest straight to the principal.

17. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Feb 21, 2010

Thanks for the website, Zoey's Mom!

18. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Feb 21, 2010

In years past- I'd say Chicago Public Schools- but we're in a huge budget crisis with everyone else.

The only thing on the bulletin for the last two weeks was for Special Education-

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 21, 2010

Well, the thing I read (and I could be all wet on this) is that the cuts that you guys (WA) are making are more a proactive measure. In other words, here in California, we are forced to cut because of massive debt. *I think* you guys are just tightening the belt for the road ahead. (Again, I don't *know* that at all; I just thought I read something to that effect.)

Edit: The other thing I was meaning to ask you is, what do you know about teaching in Vancouver, BC? I imagine it's just as much impacted (especially for a non-Canadian)... but I was just wondering, cuz I'm sure you being much closer, you know. Thanks.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2010

With all the dire news, keep in mind: Every year, teachers DO quit and retire and leave the profession, and new ones are hired. And it happens just about everywhere.

In your position I think I would concentrate on finding the science job first, since it's probably the easier one. Decide on a location based on that, then see what's available in Elementary Ed, since that's likely to be fairly difficult no matter where you are.

21. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Feb 23, 2010

22. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 23, 2010

With New York State more than likely implementing the 55/25 retirement incentive with full retirement pay you may find a job. It will be difficult to say how many are taking advantage of it. Plus, there are hundreds, if not thousands, in the wings waiting with applications already in. My district hired 3 teachers 2 days prior to opening last year due to increased enrollment.

23. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Feb 23, 2010

Don't really have an useful information....just want to say good luck to you guys! It'll happen when it's right! Keep plugging away and SELL yourself! You are your own best marketing guru!

24. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Feb 23, 2010

In Alabama it isn't any better. My system alone will cut over 200 teachers this spring. Every system in the state is cutting- we simply have no money. :sorry: