Where are ALL the PARENTS!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrs a, Apr 21, 2009.

1. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Apr 21, 2009

We had our last PTC meeting of the year tonight. A whopping 5 parents showed up (including Pres. and VP). The same 5 who are tired of doing all of the work and come faithfullt to everything. 8 faculty members were there. We are a small private school of about 320 kids in a rural community. Our school has that family feeling, but I feel we are losing that dynamic. Any ideas on how we can up our PTC attendance and get these parents involved?

3. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Apr 21, 2009

We recently did a family book night. Where we started the books in the classroom and they finished illustrating the books at the family night. Our attendance was very high and the night was well perceived with great parent comments. I think it helped that the students and parents were able to take something away from the parent night. The most responses that we received stated that they enjoyed doing something educational with their children.:D

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 21, 2009

Food, food, and did I mention food. I worked at Head Start, and we always had food at our Parent events. Any leftovers where given to the parents to take home. Those leftovers brought a lot of people to the meetings and kept them their to the end.

5. capfortune

capfortune Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

The rule for any meeting is to make sure it is not too long. People are very busy and so they need to know when the meeting it starting ( and it has to start on time) and they need to be given a definite finishing time (this has to be stuck too no matter what) The idea length of time for a meeting is one hour. The longest I would have a meeting go for is one and a half hours. Any business that is not finished during that time has to be carried over to the next meeting. You need to have a capable chairperson who can keep a meeting flowing and not let it get bogged down.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2009

It is a ROUGH time of year. There are committments pulling people in all different directions.

It may very well be that your parents had someplace else to be, or were simply exhausted and needed a night home.

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2009

I WISH I could attend the PTO meetings at my daugther's school or even at the school where I teach. All of them are held during the week at 9:30 AM. As a working parent, I feel that all the organizations want is my money. I have tried signing up for committees to work on various projects for the PTO, but none of the other moms are willing to meet when I am available. Sometimes it's not that parents don't WANT to, but rather than scheduling gets in the way.

8. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Apr 22, 2009

I would agree. I never thought about it but the book night that we had was scheduled for a specific time. None of our open houses have a specific time. That may have made a difference too.

9. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 22, 2009

We have a difficult time getting parents to attend any type of meeting or function. We made a BIG mistake last year--held a Math Night (games, make & take, books, etc). We offered free pizza dinner first to get the parents out. We didn't want to have the activities first because then dinner would run too late. They came alright and after everyone in their family ate their fill, they left. We fed around 200 people and less than 50 remained for Math Night. GRRRRRR.......

10. capfortune

capfortune Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

Next time try the loaves and the fishes Kindergarten 31.