When your Center says a child must be potty trained Does that mean

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Myname, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Myname

Myname Comrade

Oct 7, 2006

They must be able to wipe themselves as well? Eg. like after going poop?

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2006

Yes, it meant that when my kids were in preschool. They had to do it all on their own.

4. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Oct 7, 2006

I would think that it means that they have to do everything themselves.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 7, 2006

Yes and dress themselves if they have an accident.

6. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Oct 7, 2006

Yes, they must be able to do everything. In my center we do not have a changing table in the preschool room so the children must be completely potty trained before they move up.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2006

When I taught Pre K it meant doing your business and cleaning up after yourself. I WOULD not put my education and license and personal reputation in jeopardy in a preK by getting intimatelly involved with 3-5 year-old's potty behaviors. Period.

8. TanyaLynn

TanyaLynn Rookie

Oct 8, 2006

Our center really doesn't have that rule. My director has a three year old in her class in pullups, and the child uses the pullups pretty much as diapers.

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2006

I teach preK in a public school setting, and the potty training requirement here means complete independence in the bathroom. Wiping, zipping, buttoning, etc. And, in case of an accident, the child must change without help, too.
    Kim

10. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Oct 8, 2006

In my center, beginning with the three year old preschool class, the children are supposed to be completely self sufficient in the bathroom. It is amazing the number of parents that don't think their children are capable of wiping themselves etc.. at this age. I turned down a job at a center because the director told me that children in the three year old room were not required to be potty-trained anymore because she was getting a back up in the two year old room due to children who could not move up for this reason.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 8, 2006

I'm glad you posted that. We are starting a new thing with my preschool special ed class of letting "typically developing peers" come for the "inclusion" aspect of preschool. We are working on the manual/guidelines and I wanted that to be in there... that the typically developing peers were potty trained. I never thought about the whole thing tho... the changing themselves if they do have an accident. I'll have to remember that if a parent asks me about it. Hmm...

Thanks for posting this topic!!

Lori

12. Myname

Myname Comrade

Oct 9, 2006

This topic is also going into our handbook as well and I wanted to make sure my director and I were on the same page and the responses to this are exactly what I was hoping for. If I wanted to do pull-ups/diapers I would be with toddlers. I hate diapers and pull ups.
    My next pet peeve are sippy cups but that is another thread.

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2006

Potty trained to me means a child who stays dry in UNDERWEAR all day, consistantly every day, with VERY minimal to no accidents. Accidents occuring every day does not mean the child is trained.

Independance on the potty depends on the child to me. I have one little girl who is 4. She was very premature and she is very short and she couldn't reach the handles of the sink until just recently even though she has been trained since she was 2.5. I had to help her wash her hands every time until recently by no fault of her own that she could control.

Wiping themselves also depends to me. Some kids just don't get themselves clean enough when they go #2 and require more attention. I would never send a child home with "tracks" in their underwear. That would be neglectful on my part. I do however, require them to do it themselves, but if they need help with wiping #2 if they are newly trained, I assist them if they ask. I don't think helping a 3 year old with proper hygiene is that much to ask if they are not yet capable and still learning. Now, wiping for #1, I don't go there. That's a bit much.

ETA: as a parent myself, if my child who is newly trained, really wasn't wiping that efficiently and needed a little assistance, I would consider it neglectful of the teacher to just let him walk around with poop still stuck in his crack (sorry for the bluntness). I would never send a child home like that, ever!

Sippy cups...all my kids are done with them by the time they turn 2-2 1/2.

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 9, 2006

I know in the Public Preschools here the only kids who are allowed help in the bathroom are those with IEPs that have it specifically written in that they need that support...

It's all about liability

15. LuvPreKTeachin

LuvPreKTeachin Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

At my center, they must be completely potty trained. Of course, they may still have the occasional naptime accident which is age-appropriate. They must be able to change and dress themselves, wipe, etc. Pull-ups are not accepted. We do things the "old-fashioned" way... diaper to underwear!

Crystal

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2006

I love the old fashioned way! It's the only way that truly works, in my opinion! :D

17. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

Head Start in So. Cal. will not turn away a child if they aren't potty trained. My friend is in the classroom next to me and she has a child(3 years old) who will has accidents EVERYDAY. He will not tell her that he has to go to the bathroom. She wipes and changes his clothes. The mother says has does not know what to do to get him trained. So now they are trying to help her come up with ideas to help him. I would not like to be put in that kind of situation because of the personel contract with the child. I am bless that I don't have any any my class that are having potty problems.
    gospelcharlie