When You Were a Child, Did You Like...?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2010

the 1st day of school (when you were in pre-school through 12th grade. How about even your 1st yr of college?

I personally liked the 1st days of school. They were exciting! I also loved shopping for new clothes & supplies w/ my mom before the big day too. I had the chances to attend a new school when I entered 7th, 8th, & 9th grades. The start of a new college term was exciting too.

3. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 9, 2010

I did! It was always exciting to me to do all the preparations (buy school supplies, new clothes, etc.) and to start fresh with a new set of classes. I also loved starting new semesters in college, too!

4. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

I always LOVED the first day of school too. From pre-k through my last semester of college. I couldn't sleep the night before, hours picking out the "right" outfit, and organizing and reorganizing my supplies.

Now this will be my first year as a teacher and I cannot wait for it. I am SO excited.

5. HMM

HMM Cohort

Aug 9, 2010

Nope....The first day was just the start of the countdown to the end of the school year. I really didn't enjoy elementary - HS.

The only time I really liked going to school was when I was a graduate student.

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 9, 2010

There has only been one year in my entire life that I didn't like the first day of school and it was the year that I adopted my most wonderful son :). I flew out to get him mid-July and brought him home at the end of July. The next 5 weeks went by too quickly and before I knew it I had to return to work and drop him off at his dayhome each day. It was way hard.

Some years I've been more excited than others but I do love the beginning of school - did when I was in school, in college and since I started teaching :).

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2010

I didn't mind elementary.
    I hated the eve of the first day I think more than anything. I really didn't like it moving to where we had lockers with combination locks. I was so worried about forgetting it & then being late for school!!! UGH...I was a worrier anyway.
    After that didn't mind it.

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2010

Due to anxiety in new situations I never liked the first day. Usually loved school though.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2010

The ONLY time I was at a school that actually had lockers was for 7th gr at the private school I went to.

I NEVER once in my life had to take a shower after P.E., thank God. None of the kids did it.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2010

The first day of school was almost always on my birthday. So I always looked forward to the first day of school! But, I never got to have my party on my actual birthday.

11. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

I loved the first day in elementary & middle.
    And my students seem to really love the first day. We have staggered start k-3 (so only 1/3 of the kids come each of the first 3 days). I have to go to the bus stop to prevent all the kids from getting on. They all want to come!

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 9, 2010

No, no, no, no, no!

I never liked the first day of school. I like routine and familiarity . . . things that are always missing from the first day of school. There is always too much "new" for me. New teachers, new books, new procedures, new schools, new people. NO THANKS!!

I'm still that way. The first day of school is too "new" for me.

The only thing I even remotely like about the first day of school is the new school supplies. I :wub: school supplies.

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2010

I hated school every year except my senior year. I was a good student, but it just wasn't my favorite place. I can't believe how much I love teaching with the way I felt about school when I was younger.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 9, 2010

As a kid, I loved it.

As a teacher, it's filled with anxiety. I much prefer to be in the rythm of the year. I'm always afraid I'm giving too much information or too little information. I don't want to overwhelm the kids but I don't them to be bored.

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2010

I always looked forward to the first day of school because I always thought it would be the year that I turned around and did my work and got good grades.

It was the second day when I didn't have my homework done that I hated.

16. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

I always loved the first days of school when I was a child. The last days too. But as a teacher, I tend to dislike the last day of school.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2010

Always loved the first day of school- new school outfit, new shoes, new school supplies-Oh, those freshly sharpened pencils!! The slightest hint of autumn in the air.

I still love it!:D

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2010

The first day of school has always been one of my favourite days of the year. I love the completely new beginning that it brings.

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2010

I have always loved the first day of school! As others have said, it means a new outfit, new supplies, etc.

My mom stayed at home with us, so she always made chocolate chip cookies on the first day of school, and had them warm when we got home. She always snuck some in my stuff when I went off to college, and even now she mails them to me (although I have to warm them up myself :) )

20. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

I always liked the first day of school, but had butterflies in my stomach.

Nothing has changed. I love it, still, but I still get the butterflies, too. :p

21. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Aug 9, 2010

Yes, I did! I was so excited, I rarely slept much the preceding night.

22. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 9, 2010

I hated elementary and middle school, so I hated the first day even more.

23. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

I LOVED it in elementary. I had been staring at my new clothes and supplies for weeks and finally the day came to use that stuff! No sleep the night before. Clothes planned for the week. And the smell of the brand new supplies. Aahhh.