When you think you have seen it all

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by starbucks, Aug 27, 2010.

1. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 27, 2010

We had a new one at our school today! On Tuesday a mother enrolled several of her children (she has many!) for school. She registered her youngest for 1st grade. Well, we started school the following day on Wednesday. This child was horrible! The first grade teacher said that he was all over the place. Academically he couldn't even write his name and didn't know his letters, numbers etc... Well today (the 3rd day of school) the child, while in conversation with the teacher, told her that he was 5 years old. Of course first graders enter our school being at least 6 years old. She asked him what grade he was in last year and he said "K4" (which is preK in our area). Well, it turns out that he was correct. He is only 5 and should be in kindergarten. His mother didn't remember that he was only five or that he was in PreK. So on Monday I will have another student in my class - lucky me!!! I am hoping that his poor behavior this past week was result of being asked to do things that he was not capable of doing. Thank goodness we found this out now. We have only been in school for 3 days. The office should have caught this when he registered, but he registered at the last minute and everythig in the office was crazy. His former school will be sending his records, but they will not be arriving for a few days.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 27, 2010

Wow...Maybe that's a sign that she has too many kids? :lol:

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2010

:lol: I can only imagine how much that happens.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 27, 2010

:dizzy: Could be!!

6. duribe100

duribe100 Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

This sounds like my school in Watts, California.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 27, 2010

lol, my friend had a parent register her 3 yr. old in kg. and her 5 year old in gr. 2 at her school. It took a week before the principal would believe the teachers that something didn't seem right with these students. The principal finally told the parent that she couldn't bring her kids back until she brought in their birth certificate. Their mom didn't want to pay for daycare...

8. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 27, 2010

Wow! That is pretty bad.

The family that I am writing about is very limited. The school did a home visit on these kids and apparently it is a pretty sad case. There are 10 kids total in the family . We feel that the mom didn't understand the difference between K4 (preschool) and K5 (kindergarten). She just figured that her son already did a year of school last year and now should be in first grade. We don't think she was trying to trick us.

We do however, have many parents that try to make up fake addresses so that their child can attend our school. We are a low income district, but have good test scores. Many of the parents that live in the neighboring school district (with low scores) want their kids in our building so they make up addresses. We have had parents swear and get really mad at our office staff when they ask for proof of residency.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 27, 2010

I thought is was SOP to ask for proof of residence and birth certificate. My GS just moved to a new school district and they asked for both.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2010

We need a birth certificate and a copy of a tax or utility bill to verify age and residence for all new registrations.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2010

That's how it's done around here as well.

Sorry; I think the school, not just the mom, dropped the ball on this one.

12. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 28, 2010

We know that we (the school) are also responsible. But like I said, the mom came in and registered all these kids at 2:00 the day before school started. Things were crazy in the office and he fell through the cracks. Mistakes happen.

There are many more issues about this family that I can't share (even on an anonymous message board). This incident is actually minor compared to what we found out when our counselor did a home visit. It is a pretty sad situation.

13. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Aug 28, 2010

This thread only supports my opinion that not everyone should have kids.

14. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 28, 2010

@Starbucks, this type of thing happens in my district all the time- sad but true. Every year we have kids placed in the wrong grades for the same reasons you stated. With schools that have 800-900 kids per campus, only two front office staff, and over 250 new students registering each year (very transient pop.) these types of things are bound to happen.

Your situation sounds just like ours, we border Dallas ISD so all the parents want their kids in our district and not in DISD. We also require proof of residency and birth certificate, but when it comes to the residency proof all they need is a signed/sworn affidavit from somebody saying that they live with them but they aren't on the lease. Usually a friend or relative will do this for them or sometimes they will pay people to do it. The only way we are allowed to verify addresses is by sending a letter that can't be forwarded, so they get away with it.

Parents in our district who want to avoid child care costs have "borrowed" the birth certificates of their relatives to get their kids into full-day kindergarten when they were really supposed to be in our half-day pre-k program. The parents will say something like "it says Tonya on her birth certificate but she goes by Rebecca", it's so sad. When the child fails kinder and they want to retain her the parents just move to another school and use the correct birth certificate so the child repeats kinder under her real name.

15. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

wow this is crazy! but doesn't a birth certificate list parents names as well? so if they ask to ID the parents they should be able to tell it is not the same child (even if one parent is a step parent or such I would assume at least one of the parents on there should be correct)

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2010

My birth certificate does not list parents' names - depends on the area because they didn't want children discriminated against due to illegitimacy or not knowing the father's name so they eliminated that part.

17. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 28, 2010

Wow! This is kind of funny but sad at the same time! Imagine if this child never knew and slipped through the cracks and you guys didnt discover until much, much later!!! I teach Pre-K and we require the parents to bring in a birth certificate and ss card. If they dont have it, its okay but we keep making reminders until we get it. I think they cant even registar for K until they have atleast one of these to verify their age and identity. We had a parent fighting saying she didnt have neither (apparently he wasnt even born at a so we registared him still hospital) (this was for hs) but they had to put him in the database for missing children just in case. Crazy how it varies from state to state and even school to school.