When you miss your students...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by miss-m, Jun 25, 2015.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 25, 2015

Do you ever miss students from past classes, especially in schools or districts you no longer work in?

Today I just really miss the class I student taught, and I think I miss them more because I know it's highly unlikely I'll ever see them again. They were 2nd graders when I had them... they'll be in 4th grade next year. That blows my mind and makes me so sad!

What do you do when you miss your past students? Have you run into those students way down the line?

3. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 26, 2015

Sometimes I think about my first year class and wonder how they're doing. I learned so much with them that first year. They were second graders at the time and in August they'll be going into 10th grade! I'm still in the same area so it's very possible that I've passed them in Target it at a baseball game, but I'm afraid I wouldn't recognize them!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2015

There are students and classes that hold memories forever..and sometimes those students do come back for a visit or you'll bump into one here or there...and when that happens you know that the school year you spent together was special and important, and truthfully you impact kids in ways that you don't even realize....remember that as each new year begins. That EVERY year is important because it's the ONLY year you will have with that group of kids.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 26, 2015

YES! I miss (almost) all of them!! I am especially missing my Pre-K kids from this past school year. They were by far my favorite class and our last day together was just all tears (mainly from me.. only a couple of them cried)
    I hate saying goodbye.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2015

Amazingly, they will recognize you from time to time. They have grown and matured, while we have simply aged, sometimes more than others, and to them, we are the same. I ran into one a few months ago, and while I did not recognize her, she followed me throughout the grocery store as she worked up the courage to address me. She and her sister were delightful, and it was nice to talk to her again. You never know who is lurking around the next aisle - guess that means I really shouldn't run errands without makeup, huh? ;)