When you like the principal/school/co-workers, but are over the job....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Nov 23, 2019.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 23, 2019

Have any of you stayed in a position because you liked your administration/school climate even though you really didn't care for the job? I don't want to give away too much information, but I have 2 distinctly different certifications. I have been teaching for 15 years in one area. I can't teach the other subject/area at my school (it's impossible). I am really thinking about switching to the other area. I am truly just burnt out. But, this would mean a change in schools. I really like my school, coworkers, and administration.

Hmmm....what to do. I wouldn't make a change until next year.

3. limon

limon Rookie

Nov 23, 2019

Start looking and see what's out there. I am a big advocate for looking and learning from new places. If you feel in your heart you are burned out, then that might be the universe's way of letting you know you have other and maybe better things to learn. I have always learned and grown from any new job changes, and think it is vital to keep us growing and changing.

If nothing comes of the looking at least you have satisfied that itch and you can feel better about where you are at. But we don't know if we don't try.

Backroads and whizkid like this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 23, 2019

I know the right answer is go where your heart leads you, but at the same time, I want to yell stay put if you really like the school climate, admin, and teachers. That may just be me. I have been w/ both good and bad admin.( Excellent school climate to about the bottom of the barrel when it came to staff morale.) I have seen both sides and never would have left a school I loved if it hadn't been for a needed location move. A part of it too depends on if you work in an area w/ lots of openings as opposed to very few ( retirement or death). If there are a lot of openings, I'd be more likely too say, "Go for it!" If you don't like it, you could find a different school or maybe return to the 1 that has a good climate.

bella84 likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 23, 2019

Around here, it would be extremely hard to get hired in another district as a 15 year veteran, especially if you also have your MA degree or even credits beyond that. One, you're too expensive, and two, the perception is that someone with that much experience is set in their ways and won't "fit in" with a new school. Besides that, most districts will only pay you for around 8 years of experience, so it'd be a pay cut. Our big city one does 10 years, but that is the most I know of. Do have any kind of tenure or non-probationary status you'd be giving up? I'd consider if any of these factors are true for your area.

I personally would be hesitant to leave a school where you really like admin and coworkers. There are a lot of incompetent admin out there, IMO. I previously taught gen ed in a school with awful admin. I really liked my teammates and honestly I preferred teaching gen ed pretty significantly, but it was NOT worth being in a building with toxic admin. I was much happier the next year teaching sped in a building with better admin, even though the job wasn't my first choice.

Is there a way to incorporate more of whatever the other area is into your current job? Over the years in teaching sped I've developed a passion for reading intervention and spent a couple of years looking for those types of positions. Problem was, 98% of the time they weren't even being posted because they were being filled internally by classroom teachers wanting to get out of the classroom for a bit. Over the past couple of years I've established myself at my current school as someone who is very strong in this area and now they let me spend a pretty significant portion of my day doing reading intervention groups. No one ever suggests I push in any more and my P hasn't even made me renew my CPI certification in the past couple of years- win win! She protects my time doing interventions and doesn't like other things get in the way of that. Honestly it probably turned out better staying in my current school because a lot of schools use their interventionists for things like subbing when a classroom teacher is out.

Tired Teacher and bella84 like this.