When you get hired by a school district...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Jul 6, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2010

Do you sign the paper work right away or wait until the next school year begins? I was offered the position and accepted it. We haven't signed anything. I was told to come in Aug to do the paperwork. Is this good enough? A handshake agreement until mid August?

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 6, 2010

Eh....I would highly suggest getting SOMETHING in writing. When I was first hired here in AZ, I did not get an official contract right away but I was given a "Letter of Intent To Hire" which means a job was guaranteed for me.

I believe it's normal for first year teachers in the district to have to wait until Aug. to sign their contracts.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2010

My district office is pretty much closed for the month of July, so most paperwork doesn't get done until August.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2010

I would ask for something in writing, even if its a letter of intent as the previous poster said. Otherwise, I'd worry the whole time...but that's just me.

Congrats on the job! What will you be teaching? :)

6. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I got an email so I guess that's my proof

7. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I received the offer over the phone, and a week or so later HR called to tell me that the board approved me. And tomorrow I go in and sign paperwork. I guess that is when they will give me my contract? Otherwise I still do not have anything in writing and I still do not know what I will be teaching...

Congrats Oppa! :)

8. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I'm waiting too since HR is on vacation. I so ready to sign the papers...then it will really hit me that I'm a new teacher!

9. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2010

I am going to send an email that states our agreement, leaves the super some info on how to reach me and to let him know that I plan to report on the days that we discussed. I will hope that he sends it back agreeing to my email and confirming what I said. That would be better than nothing, right?

I will be teaching 4/5 in the fall, last we talked. Could change up a bit...depends on the numbers. This is a small country school, so no need for formality, really, but something would put me more at ease...

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 6, 2010

That's a great way to leave a paper trail. I don't mean to come off as paranoid or anything but I would hate for anyone to get screwed over.

Congrats on the job!!

11. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

So I just found out the letter is in the mail...and it looks like I'll be signing on the 3rd. That would be just horrible to have an offer taken back.

12. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

Once in the district I work for gave me a verbal agreement, the superintendent shifted a buddy of his into my position because I had not yet worked at the school I had been hired at. I called a principal in the district I had worked under before. She said go downtown tell them you hired me and you need to place me in a decent position. I did that and they did put me in a decent position. The human resource staff did point out I was considered an employee because I was under temporary contract. Even though I had left the district the district still had me listed as an employee. It is a large district so there were spots available. Until you sign the contract you are in limbo. Unfortunately if they gave you a specific date to come in and sign it; trying to change that date is not going to have a good effect. I guess my point is that even if you do not sign it now you still have fight if they gave you verbal agreement.

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

I was comfortable with a verbal agreement until early August. My P had everything cleared with HR

14. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 15, 2010

I just accepted a job offer in May with a new district. I faxed and signed the letter of intent they sent me, but because the HR went on vacation, my contract wasn't ready until about two weeks ago, two weeks after I left the country for the summer. I'll have to sign when I get back in two weeks. But I have my copy of the letter of intent to hire and the e-mail letting me know my contract is ready.

15. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Jul 15, 2010

My first two teaching jobs, I got hired in mid-late June and signed contracts in August. My most recent job, I got hired at the end of May and signed at the beginning of June. Districts around here seem to either do contracts right after school ends or right before it begins.

16. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 15, 2010

I still haven't signed my contract, but have filled out the HR paperwork and was approved at the board meeting. I would want something like that to be sure your job doesn't disappear. :D

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

How would I know if it was approved at a board meeting?

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2010

Somewhere there should be a copy of the minutes from the board mtg. In these minutes should be an offical vote approving you as Ms Newly Hired Teacher. Depending on your board, these votes are done individually or as a collective group of new hires. There are several places you should be able to view the minutes; if your district has a website they might be there, at the central office, sometimes minutes are emailed to teachers and residents in the district and sometimes minutes are provided to the local newspaper. Once you are approved by the board, it's a done deal :)

19. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 15, 2010

I got a letter in the mail. I had no idea I was on the board's agenda so I was surprised and happy to get it. You can check the school's site to see the date of their next board meeting.

20. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

You will love this; a friend of mine from neighbor school, a parent was told by their school sec from my school sec that I had the job, so there is my confirmation...that is how it works in a small town, lol.