When you do something special for your class...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, May 29, 2010.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 29, 2010

Do you let your principal know about extra things you do for your kids?? For instance, I made a little movie with music that includes all the pictures I took this year and I'm going to give one to each of my students. My husband said I should send it my my principal..My husband is a manager and likes to know when his guys go the extra mile..

Would you send it to your principal?? I didn't even think about it until my husband said something.. what about glowing emails parents send??

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 29, 2010

I send all kinds of things to my P. She asks us to do this. It helps her keep a pulse not only on us teachers but it helps her get to know the students a and their families a little better too (small school).

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

May 29, 2010

I send my principal a copy of my weekly newsletter, invitations to class events and "extra" things like you're describing. I want the principal to be aware of the things happening in the classroom.

I don't know that I'd send an e-mail like that to my principal- more keep him aware of the things happening in the classroom or give him a head's up if there's a parent who might need to talk with him.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 29, 2010

I don't usually think to give things like that to my principal, but I'm going to try to remember now! I think it's a good idea.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 29, 2010

No. I personally don't like it, but it doesn't bother me when others do. I guess I feel awkward. I shouldn't, though.

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

May 29, 2010

Hmmm, I'm making a DVD of pictures, music, and even some short films for my students this year - never thought about sharing it with my principal - but maybe I will...

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 29, 2010

When my kids did a special art project in celebration of a regional holiday, I let my P know about it because I thought it would be of interest to her. It was! In fact, she recommended a book to accompany the project that would take the lesson to a whole new level. I was appreciative of her suggestion, and I think she appreciated being kept in the loop.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 29, 2010

I invited my principal to our sundae party at the end of our Multiplication Challenge. She was happy to be able to come and congratulate the kids (and, even better, she helped me serve!).

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 29, 2010

I do that as well. When we make class books he gets a copy. We always invite him (and really all the admins) to presentations we do in class-and he always makes the time to come-which I really love about him. They go to meetings and are asked about things their teachers are doing-this gives them examples of things they can share.

Now the e-mails-I would feel that was tooting my own horn too much-but that's just me. I wish they would be able to see some of the positive things parents say, since I think what they mostly hear from them are complaints.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 29, 2010

I think giving your principal a copy of things like this is a great idea.

12. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

May 30, 2010

I say go for it! You should be proud of all your hard work and should let your principal know about the great things you do.

13. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 30, 2010

We are required to let administration "put their eyes on" anything that goes home. I would give him/her a copy for that reason.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 30, 2010

No, but he seems to know I do such things anyhow. He doesn't know of everything, but he has a general idea of who does and who doesn't tend to go that extra mile.

I think it would perfectly fine if I naturally brought up a special event or special task that I took on, but emailing him or otherwise letting him know each time I do something that some may consider "above and beyond"...I suppose I find that a little showboat-esque, just enough to make me uncomfortable doing it.

15. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 30, 2010

I send a copy of my end of the year DVD to my principal and invite her to many special activities in our classroom. She really encourages this because she wants to be an active part in our classrooms.

On a side note, I have a really amazing principal!

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2010

I give my principal a copy of the cd I make my kids and will often invite her to attend anything special we are doing. She enjoys coming in and getting back in touch with the kids. She taught 1st grade for 13 years and misses the classroom. She'll often stop by and ask if she can come in and teach a class.