When would you tell your boss you are pregnant?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by teachingforlife, Apr 12, 2007.

1. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

Apr 12, 2007

My husband and I found out three weeks ago that we are expecting our first child...I am seven weeks now. I am really concerned about my job though, because my boss is shady. The director before me, she only let her come back part time after she had her child. I can't afford that so I am freaking out!!! I think I am going to wait twelve weeks at least. The crummy thing is that the State of Michigan's licensing requirements for child care centers is that the director has to be here at least 30 hours per week, but she didn't follow that last time. YIKES! Does anyone know much about the FMLA? If I am understanding it right, it only applies to buisnesses/institutions that employ 50 or more people within a certain radius. Thanks for your input!

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 12, 2007

If you have any doubts about your boss's support, don't tell her till August. Find out what your rights are, then go talk to her and tell her your great news and what your plans are. Get everything in writing! CONGRATULATIONS! (Sometimes you can avoid morning sickness by keeping something in your stomach all the time - a few crackers or something light every hour - it worked for me and I never had one day of morning sickness!)

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2007

First off congrats!!!!!!!!!

Secondly (is that a word?) find out all of your rights and have them on paper when you confront her about your pregnancy if you think it will be a problem. You want to make sure your covered.

And third...
    This is what I know about FMLA
    to recieve FMLA you must have 3 things
    1. there has to be at least 50 employees at your job
    2. You must be a full time employee (with a certain number of hours)
    3. You must of worked at the current job for one full year.

Hope that helps...and remember they are not required to pay you for FMLA but just hold your job!

Again congrats

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2007

First...I am assuming you are a director right? That is what I got from your post. Second, in our state as well we have a similar policy...a director has to be present at least 20 (or something like that) working hours for director duties. If this rule was violated last time and your boss tries to do it to you, then I would say something about it. If she is violating that policy, then she is breaking the law under the codes of childcare regs. Third...CONGRATS!!! :D

6. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

Apr 16, 2007

Thanks everyone!! My husband and I are really excited, but my boss is so unpredictable. I am a director, and she definitely didn't follow the state's guidelines for her last director. My place of employment doesn't have 50 employees, which is not good because she could just let me go after a leave of absence. I have vacation time and I am not even sure if she will let me use that for my leave. I am due the end of Nov.

Anyway, hopefully she will be supportive, but who knows? I don't know if there are any rights that apply to someone working for an employer with less than 50 employees.

I don't know if I can wait until Aug, since then I should definitely be showing...I will be 8 weeks wed. and no sign yet, which to my understanding is normal...let's see, in Aug., I should be about 23 weeks at the beginning of Aug.

So far, morning sickness hasn't been too bad, it comes and goes, and mostly just nausea, not vomiting at all, which is good. A friend of mine told me that Lemon Drops (the candy), and lemon water helped her with the nausea. So far, like was suggested earlier, I just eat little snacks throughout the day and that helps.

Anyway, thanks for the congrats!

7. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Apr 16, 2007

Dont tell her until your showing!!!! Or if you medically need to tell her, then be prepared with the facts in your state because FMLA is different in different states( i learned this by dealing with an out of state insurance provider)

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 16, 2007

How about start looking for another job in a bigger place. Or in a school system?

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2007

Teachingforlife....Can't really help your situation, but the showing....I wasn't really showing until I was late in my 5th month!!! I NEVER got really big.

I do the hours for FMLA is 1250!!! I actually interviewed to be a director & the owner of the preschool asked if I wanted to have kids (first of all VERY Illegal), lucklily I didn't get the job because I was pg and didn't know it when I interviewed!!!

Congrats on the baby!!! Be sure to sign up at gerber.com, huggies.com, enfamil.com (if going to use) & Pampers.com....these all send either coupons or samples and some both!!!

10. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Apr 16, 2007