When Will Your 2011-2012 School Year Start

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, Jan 15, 2011.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2011

Good Morning,
    I'm just wondering when the next school year will start for you. We always start after Labor Day and for the past few years it seemed like most of you went back before us.

I'm debating planning a trip to Disney for my twins' 2nd birthday on 8/31 because I heard it was a very uncrowded time. I know it will be crazy hot and insanely humid so I'm on the fence, but was hoping to get some feedback on start dates in different parts of the country.

So if you don't mind...please post your state and when you anticipate starting school. It seems so far away, but will be here in a blink. Enjoy the weekend.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

Oh, you've said the words that make my heart go all aflutter!!!

To answer the question you asked, public schools on Long Island usually start the day or two after Labor Day.

Disney rates are lowest during Value Season.

For the regular rates and seasons at the Disney resorts, try here: http://www.mousesavers.com/roomrates2011.html

In short, the Value Season starts on August 14 in the Value resorts and the two moderates I checked (Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter) and on August 21 at the two Deluxes I checked (The Polynesian--our choice-- and Animal Kingdon Lodge.)

We went in both August 2008 and 2009. Yes, it was hot. But I did my homework-- lots and lots and lots of homework, and the heat wasn't a real big issue. By the time it got really bad each day, we were back in the resort pool. And, while it's never NOT busy at Disney, that homework kept us from waiting too long in line for anything. In the two trips we made, a 90 minute wait for Toy Story Mania was triple the wait we had for anything else, and that was totally my fault; we didn't get started that day until close to noon. EVERY OTHER WAIT, in 2 years, was less than 20 minutes, even for the big headliner rides.

At the very minimum, you can get the AAA discount. According to www.mousesavers.com , :

"AAA and CAA Resort Hotel Discounts
    American Automobile Association (AAA) and Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) members qualify for "room only" discounts almost year-round, though there are a limited number of rooms available for each date. You can generally save about 10%-20% at the Disney resort hotels, depending on the season.

The only time AAA/CAA discounts don't usually apply is Holiday Season (around Christmas).

You don't have to book AAA/CAA rates through the Auto Club. Room-only reservations with an AAA discount can be booked directly through the Disney Reservation Center at (407) W-DISNEY or a travel agent who specializes in Disney travel. Just ask if there is an AAA or CAA discount for your dates and resort.

AAA/CAA rates for all of the following year are usually released in the summer. 2011 AAA/CAA "room only" discounts were released on August 8, 2010."

4. Go to the Disney reservations site and register. http://bookwdw.reservations.disney.go.com/ibcwdw/en_US/_framework/components/processEngine

and play around with dates and resorts. You don't have to actually book anything, but play with the prices of Deluxe vs Moderate vs Value resorts. Let them know you're interested.

Then order the free maps--let them know you're really interested.
    http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/myVacation/customizedMaps/index?id=CustomizedMapsSampleMapsPage
    Then cross your fingers and hope for a PIN code from Disney Destinations (etiher snail mail or email). We got one our first year that gave us 40% off our accomodations.

5. Current promo: http://bookwdw.reservations.disney....romotionCode=fy11q2q4kids&market=fy11q2q4kids

Go. You'll have the time of your life.

Let me know if you want to talk resorts and the meal plan-- I could talk Disney forever!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2011

In Florida, most schools go back two weeks before Labor Day. Some districts go back earlier. So you won't have to deal with that crowd if you go to Disney at the end of August.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

In terms of avoiding crowds, Disney had a Free Dining promo to attract people. (sorry, it's too late to get it now.) It kicks in on August 19.

So, for minimum crowds at the cheapest price, your best bet is probably from the 14th to whenever.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

We also go back about two weeks before labor day on that Wednesday (for students).

7. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Jan 15, 2011

Alabama usually goes back the first week of August.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 15, 2011

We usually go back the second week of August.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

August 22

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 15, 2011

After going to Disney over Christmas, my entire family vowed never to do a theme park vacation over a 'regular' vacation period again. It was fun, but the waits were about 2 hours for most rides. We agreed that even if you have to pull your child out of school for a week, it's worth it-our time there would have been really rough with a little child. It would be tricky to be a teacher and miss that time, but if you are going to go, def. go at a time when no one else is going. Especially with little ones-we 'got' to enjoy the lines with many parents trying to entertain cranky little ones for hours on end while they waited!!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

Christmas is their 2nd busiest time of year, behind only Easter break.

We went two Augusts in a row and didn't wait for more than a few minutes for anything with one singular exception-- a rookie mistake on my part that we didn't repeat.

Iheartrecess, go at the middle/end of August-- you and your kids will have the time of your lives!

12. deb4kids

deb4kids Rookie

Jan 15, 2011

We start August 22.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 15, 2011

Our kids will start back on August 22nd also.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011